Which serise was Worf the best in?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ILOVETREK1701, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In your opinion was Worf better written for ds9 or tng?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Both series had their better Worf episodes and their weaker ones, of course by the DSN episodes they had been writting the character for some time so had a better handle.

And this might be better in the General Trek thread, given that it relates to two trek shows.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gotta say DS9, for the sole reason that he wasn't spending the first half of that series as a growling, snarling brute who can't open doors.

4. ILOVETREK1701

^ LOL! So true.

5. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

TNG. He didn't fit into DS9, the show as already overcrowded with characters and as far as I remember he never had any of those brilliant or hilarious moments he had so often in TNG.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps, perhaps not. But say what you will--on DS9, we did NOT witness the pathetic running gag of the tough bad guy knocking out Worf.

7. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Agreeing with Rush. It was getting difficult to accept Worf as security chief when he never seemed able to win a fight!

I personally think he was written with more depth on DS9, so my vote is for DS9.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worf was for less of a gimmick on DS9 and more of a character, even though he was brought to DS9 as a gimmick. His character worked so much better in that show, bringing some much needed change for the character, who's biggest deal on the Enterprise was to push the button that says fire on the tactical station, and to have Picard remind him that in a way, we are all human.

No, Worf finally became a character instead of a bridge ornament during DS9. And as for being hilarious...
    The scene where O'Brien tells him that they are having another baby, and seeing Worf's reaction.... Priceless.

9. ILOVETREK1701

I am split down the middle, for me it's to close. For example we had the wonderful moments on tng like the whole prune juice thing, but on ds9 we had him with Dax and more depth.

10. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

That's simply factually wrong. We are not talking about TOS where the minor characters never got any spotlight. Worf got plenty to do in TNG besides standing at his post and Sins of the Father and Redemption are probably the best stories in which he is the protagonist.

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    he was better on TNG. He stood out there. He was unique. On DS9, he was almost a Klingon version of Odo.

DS9 had many more alien characters and outsiders, so Worf didn't stand out as the alien outsider.

Plus, Worf seemed to lose a lot of the dry sense of humor that he had on TNG and became more of a stick in the mud.

12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes I missed that aspect of his personality as well.

In DS9 he had cooler stuff to do, but his personality on TNG was much better. So it's a toss up.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

His hair was WAY better in DS9.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

TNG

We got to see the character evolve from young and overeager, "are you going to blow a hole in the view screen?" to a seasoned veteran.

Late TNG and DS9 always tried to play on his divided loyalties, but no episode did it better than season ones Heart of Glory.

15. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9

On TNG he was a punching bag.

On DS9 he was a passionate warrior:
    I don't know. I think what's remarkable about Worf coming aboard DS9 is that he's very different from other Starfleet officers that might have challenged Odo like Primmin and Eddington. In fact their ability to bond gruffly over their similarities was a wonderful touch to the addition of Worf.
    I don't think that's the case at all. I will grant you that the DS9 writers definitely tried to challenge Worf's ideology and even frequently put him on the wrong side of an issue, but I actually think that's an asset to Worf as a character.

But his humor was still there. For example, when asked about the content of Klingon dreams:

16. Mage

Ofcourse he had his own episodes where he had plenty to do. But the rest of the time, he was just there. He was used to better effect in DS9 if you ask me, with far more better scenes in non-Worf episodes then he had in TNG.

17. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Its not even close. DS9. Worf was a bystander in TNG. A wooden, typical Klingon on a SF ship.

DS9 allowed him to bloom into a 3d character, w/depth and emotion.

Go back and look at his performance in Way of the Warrior. It killed all his other performances on TNG. It just shows to go ya, that DS9's writings were so superior to that of all other Trek.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Deep Space Nine, hands down. But then again, every single TNG character would have become so much more in the hands of the DS9 writers.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Which of course is why DS9 is less popular than Voyager. :lol:

Funny, since most of DS9's writers came from TNG...

20. Mage

I'll tell you this though, I've started to really appreciate Worf as a character since the novels set after Nemesis. He's matured so much, became a better man, a better Klingon and a better officer.
    There's a lot of speculation as to who might become captain of the Enterprise if Picard were to leave now that he has a son he's raising, and I'm rooting for Worf. It's time that the Enterprise got an alien captain for once, and I can't think of a better person for the job then Worf.