Which Lost Era are you most interested in?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lord Garth, Dec 1, 2022.

?

Lost Era

1. Post-ENT/Pre-Cage (2161-2254)

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Post-TUC/Pre-TNG (2293-2364)

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. Post-PIC/Pre-DSC (24XX-3188)

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Which Lost Era are you most interested in?

1. Post-ENT/Pre-Cage (2161-2254)
    2. Post-TUC/Pre-TNG (2293-2364)
    3. Post-PIC/Pre-DSC (24XX-3188)

I could've broken it up even further than that, but I figured I'd just keep it simple and stick to the broad strokes.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This a difficult one.....
    After a lot of people wanting Post-VOY for year and we finally got it with PIC, that little itch is scratched for me for now.

I always wanted to see a young Federation and how it evolves. But the era between TUC and TNG is an interesting one as well. How did we got from a somewhat hostile Alpha-Beta quadrant to one that became appearantly quite peaceful when TNG starts? Although, during TNG and DS9 we learn a lot was still going on.

I'd probably go for a Post-ENT/Pre-Cage....

3. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Post Ent. 2155 not 2161.
    I severely want to see the romulan war.

Admiral Archer likes this.
  4. Prometheus59650

Prometheus59650 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Presidium Apartments Overlooking the Sushi Place
    I have to go with post TUC. Seems like there's some good drama to mine in an era chafing between the frontier ship with the swashbuckling Captain with the TNG era where the captains are sort of treated as fragile and everything sort of feels sterile and "explored already."

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. Lord Garth

I regard the gap between regular ENT S4 and TATV (2155-2161) the same way I regard the TMP-TWOK Gap (2272-2285) and the live-action NEM-PIC Gap (2379-2399). In my eyes, they're more like Mini-Lost Eras within the Main Era they belong to.

I'd be interested in seeing the Romulan War too. "The Deadly Years" (TOS) shows how the Romulans can add tension and drama to an episode but without them actually being seen.

Admiral Archer likes this.
  6. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

Definitely post-PIC.

You'e got several hundred years worth of possible content to explore there, would be very interesting to see 25th/26th century Starfleet and how it's different to that of Picards era.

7. Cr0sis21

Cr0sis21 Captain Captain

For me, i dont really think of post-Picard as a "lost" era. It's just the current, so to speak, timeline. And Discovery jumping 1,000 years into the future doesn't really change that.
    And as much as I'd love to see the Romulan War and the intrigue surrounding that, i think there's a lot more to mine in the post-TUC era. Cardassians, Bajorans, Trill, the Betreka Nebula incident, Narendra 3, really the whole service of the Enterprise B and C, lots of good stuff to dig into and not nearly as much continuity baggage.

saddestmoon and Farscape One like this.
  8. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

As good as SNW is…I’m kinda done with shows set pre-TOS. So gimme the lost era after TUC and before Encounter at Farpoint.

you have two different Enterprises. The Romulans going into hiding. Growing pains as the Federation becomes allies with the Klingons, meaning a massive shift in culture away from having to be on constant guard for war. Until that is, first contact with Cardassia which leads to the first Federation/Cardassian war.

And that’s just the general connections. You also have the potential for Young Picard, Curzon Dax, Cadets/Ensigns Sisko and Janeway. O’Brien and the Rutledge, the attack on Khitomer, the Discovery of Data, Spock vs Sarek round whatever.

There is so much in that 75-80 year time frame to be explored.

9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Post TUC. Still in “cowboy diplomacy” era, and not yet in the TNG “evolved humans” era.

saddestmoon likes this.
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I doubt that what they would produce today would be anything like how you've envisioned it in your head.

I would agree with that assessment. And the 800 or so years between PIC and DSC season 3 is really sort of nebulous to me, since other than some newfangled matter technology and ships with detached parts, the Federation/Starfleet of the 32nd century doesn't really feel all that different from any other era.

The post-TUC-pre-TNG era was what I voted for too. And while there are indeed the events of which you describe, I think that any new series set in this era would fall prey to exactly what happened with DSC/SNW: a show produced in the 2020's but showing an era that takes place before a show that was produced in the '80s-'90's (or '60's in DSC/SNW's case) would run the risk of showing a level of technology that is far superior to the show it is a prequel to. Not to mention whatever 'spin' the new showrunners would want to take it, which would probably have nothing whatsoever to do with any of the above. Considering the lack of visual and technological continuity from TOS to SNW, I highly doubt any show taking place in the lost years between TUC and TNG would remotely have the feel of what you think it will be, just like what I said above about any depiction of the Romulan War being produced today.

Now, with that said, does a showrunner putting his/her/their own spin on a show taking place in the Lost Era between TUC and TNG necessarily make it a bad thing? No. I'm all for creativity, if it's good creativity. The story should always be more important than the background details. But if we're constantly seeing things that technically shouldn't be happening in that time period, then there's no point in setting the show in that period to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    saddestmoon likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

I see Picard as the "present" and Discovery as the "future" too.

But, I figure we're probably never going to see a Star Trek series or movie set in the 26th-31st Centuries, so that's why I decided to go with including it as an option. Sometimes we'll get something like the 22nd Century (ENT) or 32nd Century (DSC from the third season and on), but I think the main setting of Star Trek is -- and will be -- the 23rd, 24th, and now 25th Centuries.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The post-ENT era is the most interesting to me. That's when these four different species are first figuring out how to build a society together, and how other powers in the galaxy might react to the sudden creation of a brand new superpower right in their backyards.

13. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I voted post-TUC and pre-TNG period.

That’s truely a missing eta / time period that I would love to see.

Farscape One likes this.
  14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of those choices, I'd vote Post TUC / Pre TNG

But if I'm being truly honest, the lost period I find most interesting to consider is the Post TMP / Pre TWOK one, where I'm certain that Kirk kept the ship & went on a new tour with it, before it got sent off to be used for training, & he gave up starship command yet again

Frankly, that second go-round for Kirk as the Enterprise captain had to be bloody legendary. Dammit to hell, I'd give anything to see that salty dog on those missions.

15. Birb-of-Prey

Birb-of-Prey Commander Red Shirt

I'm torn between the first two options.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I were to have a say in the matter of a new series, I'd suggest the betweenTUC ~ TNG years. There are 80 years to mess with in there that we know nothing about (except for the E-C's demise). Maybe pick up the E-B's second deployment with Harriman's replacement, or a new, non-Enterprise, ship.

Farscape One and saddestmoon like this.
  17. Lord Garth

Looks like Monster Maroons and Young Picard for the win!

Dukhat and Mojochi like this.
  18. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be more original to see alternate-timeline Tasha getting details fleshed out. More than the high-level overview told to Picard and Guinan lambasting him for creating the Sela problem in Redemption II. True - we know Yar's fate as well as the fact Sela ends up in a powerful position, but anyone who wasn't me could have guessed the fate of the characters in "Blake's 7" too (and was so well done that they'd still be surprised.) But, hell, it would be doubly refreshing to see Sela rise up in ranks, victory after victory for the Romulans (with a few curveballs because this overview is also a bit obvious), before turned into a throwaway cartoon in the season 5 alleged epic known as "Unification". Seriously, if "Klingon Academy" was a well-received game because players can be "the enemy, moohahaha", why can't there be a show that builds up an established enemy to make them feel like a palpable threat that much more? Either way, "Unification" is still what it is no matter what.

Also, for all these fill-in-the-blank gap eras, the matter would be doing it convincingly. I'd like to believe there's a reason why stretches of gap years exist and should exist. Ironically, one of them is to prevent being bogged down by canonical continuity of the sort that flips more lids nowadays than a Tupperware party. Another is letting the fans have their headcanon to play "connect the dots" since, even from the start, the writers having to keep track of more and more becomes exponentially harder to do.

That, and most prequels have sucked dog biscuits pre-drenched in Fido's saliva loaded with Exophiala Dermatitidis. (I miss flashing blinky text back in the 1990s, it was so cool and over-the-top campy...)

19. Lord Garth

DSC confirmed what many suspected. After the 24th Century, it was "more of the same" for several centuries. The only differences I see are that Galactic Politics (involing the Federation) spanned all four quadrants instead of just the Alpha Quadrant and the Temporal Wars are thrown in later on. So I take it all to mean that DSC's third season skipped past the "more of the same" centuries and the downtime from The Burn. So I'm honestly not that interested in seeing what happened in-between for any length of time.

For the period between ENT and "The Cage", I'd be surprised if we didn't see at least one episode of SNW showing Captain April's time as Captain of the Enterprise before the series is over. Other than that, I don't expect to really see anything else there, unless it's more flashbacks to when XYZ character was a kid.

I only think we might see the TUC-TNG Gap because eventually they'll recast Picard and show his younger days, just like they're doing with Kirk and Spock. It'll happen. It's just a question of when. They'll want to find a way to keep the character of Picard going, just like they have Kirk and Spock. This is all because no matter how many Star Trek series they make, TOS and TNG will always be The Big Two. So they'll keep finding ways to link back to them, for pragmatic reasons if nothing else.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    saddestmoon and Qonundrum like this.
  20. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Uglami.