Which is the stronger ship, Disco or Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by B. L., Apr 23, 2019.

1. B. L.

B. L. Lieutenant Red Shirt

As seen in the show? Not counting spore drive just regular standard loadout.

I just finished S1 and am beginning S2 (7 day free pass on CBS All Access)

So far it's okay. Some of it I don't really love, but I like it enough to keep going.

Does it seem the Disco (and the Shenzhou even) are much larger than Enterprise?

Isn't the Constitution supposed to be a really big deal? Why does it seem smaller than the other ships?

Or is the size unimportant? (Defiant)

Which is strongest in a firefight? Which is faster?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Discovery is definitely bigger (although mostly hollow), we see that at the end of the season.

As for abilities, they seem evenly matched to me.

3. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe the Enterprise has stronger shields, but they seem pretty even otherwise.

4. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The spore drive, if used properly, tilts the odds overwhelmingly in favor of Discovery.

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Raw strength, I'd say Enterprise. A deep space explorer vs a science vessel. The Crossfield class is no Oberth that blows up if you sneeze at it, but it's got to be more lightly armed and armoured than a Connie.

Gonzo, Longinus, KennyB and 1 other person like this.
  6. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

I would guess they’re about evenly matched but following different design philosophies. Discovery is a brand new state of the art research ship packed with all kinds of cutting edge technology. Enterprise is built for serious long term, long range exploration and may have to operate for long periods without Starfleet support. So it’s designed with proven, reliable (read: older) technologies.

SolarisOne and starbuck like this.
  7. Lundberg

Lundberg Ensign Red Shirt

No idea how long cross field class has been around, but it seems pretty new. Enterprise meanwhile has already been in service a few years by that point .

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

They seem to be evenly matched.

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Enterprise. It’s a heavy cruiser and has been recently refitted.

10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I would say the Enterprise is more of a threat because of its deep space exploration mission. The Discovery before the war was supposed to be mainly a scientific research vessel. But that’s just me. Enterprise is more of a tank. Designed to give and take a solid punch if needed.

Paul69 and Longinus like this.
  11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Discovery has little offensive power - her pew-pew beams have to be "double hot" to make a dent in Klingon Birds of Prey in S1, while the Enterprise fires continuous beams in the S2 finale to good destructive effect against S31 capital ships.

Against mere drones, both ships do all right. And the Discovery has no problem killing the massive Klingon Ship of the Dead with torps when the enemy shields are down. But defensively... Well, most enemies so far have wanted to capture the hero ship intact, yet she lost shields at the same rate as the scheduled-to-die Enterprise in the S2 finale, perhaps suggesting those shields were no good.

The Enterprise has been referred to as exceptional in dialogue, a weapon of last resort, a favored assignment. Superior combat prowess might well be the reason - or at least the antiquated-looking warp engines or the modest size are unlikely to be superior attributes.

Timo Saloniemi

Paul69 and Longinus like this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise because it's the most awesomest ship that ever was awesome, and is even awesomer than that awesomeness.

Awesome.

13. B. L.

I forgot to mention this in my OP, I meant not counting this as it's more of a plot device than an actual spec.

I mean, the crossfield vs Constitution in standard abilities

Cjohnson1701 likes this.
  14. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

I can imagine one of those "Epic Battle" YouTube vids right now, Discovery vs. Enterprise.I can imagine one of those "Epic Battle" YouTube vids right now, Discovery vs. Enterprise.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Armed Experimental Science Vessel vs. Heavy Cruiser. The Discovery would have to use its Spore Drive to wear out the Enterprise. The Enterprise can't damage what it can't hit. Only problem is: Discovery has to stop jumping at some point in order to fire and then jump again before the Enterprise can hit them back.

If they fight fair, the Enterprise wins. If they fight dirty, Discovery wins.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Does it matter, with them both on the same side, now separated by a thousand years?

I love how we had a ship use itself as a shield to protect another and people still want them to batter each other.

Lord Garth likes this.
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Enterprise.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  18. B. L.

It's less about them facing each other off and more about just evaluating the series' continuity.

19. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Discovery can bench press 300. Enterprise said it could too, if it wanted to look like a dork, but it's busy right now, doing stuff. Everyone knows it did a marathon in 71.
    Draw your own conclusions.

Uh which ship is stronger: doesn't matter, they're different classes of ships designed for different roles.
    Enterprise was a heavy cruiser designed to conduct long distance diplomatic, peacekeeping and science missions by itself without support craft, including hostile action and unknown scenarios.

Discovery was a science vessel build to test and operate the spore drive. As it was a war time black program, it was also set up for offensive actions. Most of these apparently were hit and run strikes on Klingon targets, but it did take out a Klingon capitol ship using a very dangerous use of its drive.

Discovery's drive system requires the use of a special tardigrade essentially enslaved to the system until it is worn out, or a augmented human combined with tardigrade DNA, in essense it's flying under all manner of wavers as that violates core UFP principals.

So in the "Superman vs Silver Surfer" discussion (Silver Surfer, btw): if crew are all at the same competency levels and the situation in a wargame is an even playing field,Discovery can only best Enterprise by using its problematic spore drive. In a conventional battle, it probably would not hold out.

Lord Garth likes this.
  20. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tell that to the F-35 brand new fighter that flew off against a much older F-16 and got its ass handed to it. Ships and planes of the same side absolutely do “virtually fight” against each other, and results are not always obvious.

SolarisOne and publiusr like this.