which Hawaii Five-O episode has Star Trek bridge SFX?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by billsantos, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billsantos

billsantos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here's one that has stumped me for years. I was watching Hawaii Five-O one time when all of a sudden I started hearing the Enterprise bridge sound. No, it wasn't the Five-O pilot as this has the bridge sound from The Cage, it was an episode that featured the bridge sound most commonly heard throughout TOS. All I can remember is that McGarrett went below deck on a ship or something and they were looking at a radar, some kind of instrument anyway. There was a lot of instrumentation in the scene with the Enterprise bridge sound throughout the scene. Any idea of which Five-O episode this was?

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The pilot movie, "Cocoon."

3. billsantos

Thanks, but not quite. Although the Five-O pilot has the bridge sound from The Cage, the one I'm referring to is the regular bridge sound heard throughout TOS (not the ones used in TOS series pilots). All I can remember is that the Five-O episode was quite a bit later, probably four or five years into the series.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know what you're talking about - I've been watching an ep a week for a while now and I'm up to S6. But I can't recall which ep it was.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't answer your question, but the reason why the Enterprise bridge sound is like radar is that it was designed to sound the way radar sounded on ships. It's another example of how they made the Enterprise feel like a ship or submarine.

Doug

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Forbin

Also, I'm pretty sure all or most of the TOS sound effects pre-existed in somebody's SFX library. I know I've heard some of them in other, earlier shows.

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. billsantos

If you find it, let me know please! Unfortunately, I can't recall any further info except that it wasn't the pilot. I'm not sure, but they may have been having another run-in with Wofat, McGarrett went below deck to observe ship instrumentation. The scene was quite brief but you couldn't miss the Enterprise bridge sound.

8. billsantos

Quite true as I found out several years ago. I believe the fire at Paramount destroyed a portion of the Trek effects they had as the CD release really contained less than half, but effects did show up in cartoons, prior and post movies and series as well.

9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahhhh, gotcha. Yeah, not sure of that one then. I can tell you that an episode of the 1984 V tv series use bridge sound effects, complete with elevator door whoosh, as the sounds of a battle computer. Hilarious...

10. billsantos

There was also another show that used the bridge sound. For years, I thought it was McGuyver where he ended up on a craft that was observing Earth (with the bridge sound in the background), but I have never been able to locate that episode and I'm not sure it was McGuyver.... but it was a tv series.

11. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I think that was Stargate SG1.

12. Forbin

"Sir, you can't name it the Enterprise."

13. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no idea, but would also like to find out for myself, Please help??:)

14. billsantos

Wish I could help out more if I could, but cannot. The streaming vids of each Five-O episode are available, just like Trek, but I have no way to fast forward through them and trying to jump to various spots throughout a given episode seems to mess up the stream..... so I guess it depends on if someone else comes across it. I would know the scene if I saw it visually as the scene starts off with a docked military ship and I think it then shows McGarrett going below to view instrumentation manned by officers. While they are all viewing the instrumentation (radar I believe), the Enterprise bridge sound is very prominent in the background. They are searching for something.... either Wofat or another criminal who also has a ship or sub.

15. Forbin

Well, there are only a few 5-0 episodes that involved a Naval vessel, but narrowing it down might require rewatching the whole first few seasons, which, ya know, not tonight. :)

16. billsantos

Wikipedia reveals the episodes which featured Wo Fat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wo_Fat Like I said before, my recollection of the scene is sketchy but I believe it involved Wo Fat. HTH

17. ahkyahnan

ahkyahnan Captain Captain

I'm not a big Five-0 fan, but wouldn't there likely be a website somewhere that gives a brief synopsis of each episode? You could probably browse through them and find one whose plot resembles what you're looking for maybe. Might narrow the search down.

Mark

18. Forbin

19. billsantos

Has anyone yet come across the episode? I tried to access the ones I mentioned in the Wo Fat list, but CBS only offers a limited number of streamed episodes so I haven't been able to find any others.

20. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Twilight Zone episodes like "Third From The Sun" and "Execution" use the bridge sound effects long before Star Trek was a speck in Roddenberry's eye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.