Poll Which game should I play next

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kirk55555, Apr 7, 2017.

?

Which Game Should I play next?

1. Final Fantasy VII

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Final Fantasy VIII

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Breath of Fire IV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Castlevania Symphony of the Night

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Persona 4

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Assassin's Creed II

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished playing Dishonored GOTY edition and its DLC, and I'm trying to figure out what I should play next. I have a bunch of games in my backlog, and I'm having trouble deciding what to play. These are the ones I'm currently thinking about:

PS1 Classics (on PS3):
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Breath of Fire IV
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night

PS2 Classics (On PS3):
    Persona 4

3DS Games:
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS

PS3 Games:
    Assassin's Creed II

All of these are games I've never really played (I think I played a little FF7 a long time ago, but that's it). I'm curious what people have to say. I'm a JRPG fan, which is why I have a few on the list (I've beaten FF V, VI, IX and X-2 over the last few years, along with Bravely Default, Chrono Cross and Suikoden II and liked them all). I have this weird feeling that Final Fantasy VII will dominate because of how universally loved it seems to be, but I have enough choices that its hard for me to decide what to play right now. I have a fondness for Donkey Kong Land 2 (the GBC port of DKC 2), which is why DKC Returns is on the list. Castlevania is another classic I've had on the PS3 for a few years but never started. Assassin's Creed II I got for $5, I played some AC IV but stopped after it got a bit too repetitive.

I'm in the mood for any of these games, so I figured asking people what they think would be informative.

2. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

My vote would be Castlevania...

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You should play Persona 4, are you fucking kidding us fives

Robert Maxwell likes this.
  4. kirk55555

I actually forgot about this thread :alienblush: After going through my options and checking more online, I went with Final Fantasy VII. I'm thinking its a bit overrated, but about 2 and a half hours in its fun enough and the story is pretty good. It won out because I decided I was in a bit more of a JRPG mood, and it was the best of the JRPGs I have available. FFVIII being probably the most unpopular of the JRPG FF games (aka FF 1 through X-2) with a terrible game systems put that below everything else on the list, and Breathe of Fire didn't seem as interesting as FFVII.

Persona 4 I had gotten a long time ago when PSN had a sale, but honestly it has a reputation for crushing difficulty, and my younger brother is the guy who plays games that are hard just to be hard (like Dark Souls), not me. When I play a JRPG, I pretty much expect to beat everything if I put in the grinding time (I actually kind of like grinding in JRPGs, although I know a lot of people hate it). So, I'll probably get to Persona 4, but probably only after I've beaten all the other JRPGs I have, and even then I'll have to be feeling especially masochistic. Not that its a bad game, but when I got it on sale (I think it was $5), it was mostly because it had a good reputation as one of the most popular PS2 JRPGs. I hadn't thought about the possibility of it being the "dark souls" of PS2 JRPGs. Honestly, thinking about it, its probably the last game I'll get to, sometime after FF VIII and even FF Tactics (I didn't even put Tactics on the poll because I abandoned that game after, about 2 hours in, it because completely unbeatable, its the most difficult, poorly designed strategy game I've tried to play).

So, yeah, I imagine I'll get to Persona 4 sometime in the distant future, but its not a very appealing game to me.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

FFVII is indeed overrated.

Persona 4 is not that hard. Honestly. The dungeon crawling is maybe 10% of the entire game to begin with. It is definitely not Dark Souls hard or anywhere near that. I suck at games and I've breezed through the vast majority of the dungeon crawling.

I'm playing through it right now (P4G on Vita) and it holds up great. :techman:

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Honestly I thought it fell straight off a cliff the minute you leave Midgard.

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Persona 4 is a lot of things, but it's not a hard game

8. kirk55555

The #1 thing I've read about all the Persona games is their punishing difficulty (both the Persona main games and all those weird spin offs). I never would have gotten Persona 4, but it was really cheap during a sale and I had some extra money on my PSN account.

In the end, I'm generally a fan of FF (well, pre-FFX Final Fantasy, minus FF Tactics). I'm not a fan of especially hard games, or Persona as a franchise. So, FFVII wasn't that hard a choice, once I decided that a JRPG was what I wanted to play. Plus, while I like anime I don't like Persona's "slice of life" anime aesthetic. It doesn't particularly interest me, and that plus punishing difficulty means that, in retrospect, I never should have put in on the poll. I mostly did because I kind of bought it and forgot about it, since it was kind of a waste of money (even at a heavily discounted sale price, I think somewhere around $3-5). It was kind of poll filler, I guess. A game I have avaliable, but don't really intend to ever play. At least, not unless I beat every other backlog game.

9. Robert Maxwell

Hey, thanks for the info.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Missing option: Hungry Hungry Hippos

11. Space Coast

Space Coast Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

>Has a PS3
    >Does not list Persona 5 as choice

0/10 OP try again

12. Robert Maxwell

I take it you missed his diatribe about how he heard Persona games are hard and regrets even buying 4 (which he also hasn't played).

13. kirk55555

Regardless of my regret at purchasing Persona 4, why would I play 5 before 4? Unless its a Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest type situation where the series is made up of stand alone games, I guess. I don't know either way. Plus, spending $60 on Persona 5 blind, even if I didn't know about the series reputation, would be a bit ridiculous. But, yeah, I regret buying Persona 4 and basically refuse to play it, so Persona 5 was never an option. If I wanted to play a game for masochists, I'd play Dark Souls (which I do have available, because my brother is a huge DS fan).

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It is. Not that you're ever one to let facts get in the way of an opinion.

Aldo, SPCTRE and Robert Maxwell like this.
  15. Robert Maxwell

Yes, I suppose everyone in this thread did suggest you blow $60 on a game with zero knowledge of it.

16. kirk55555

I was responding to his specific suggestion of Persona 5. I never said that anyone else had suggested something similar.

I get it. Some people like Persona a lot, and that's fine. I'm not saying its objectively bad, its just not a game series for me. It was only mentioned because I happened to remember it was downloaded to my PS3 while trying to decide what to play. If I'd thought about it, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

Since I'm playing Ff VII right now, the thread is redundant anyway.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So you just wanted to what? Waste everyone's time?

Robert Maxwell likes this.
  18. kirk55555

No. When I posted the poll, I didn't know what to play, so I wanted some opinions. I got them here, and looking around online, and made up mind. I posted the thread on April 7, and a few days later I picked FF 7. The thread didn't get most of its activity until five days after I posted it, and it only took me 3-4 to find the game I wanted. Its as simple as that :shrug: I figured the thread would just disappear after that, but apparently Persona 4 is more controversial then I thought.

The only thing I should have done but didn't was put a time limit on the poll. Besides that, what was I supposed to do? Not pick a game until any possibility of someone posting in the thread was gone? It was up for several days before I picked something, and I didn't expect it to last all that long. The fact that no one voted for the game I ended up picking was just a coincidence, I honestly didn't have a game I was leaning toward more then the others when I posted the thread.

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

You put an option on the poll that, when people chose it, you decided to tell them why they were wrong *when you were the one that put it there*. There was a clear weight toward that game even early on, before you announced that you had decided on FF 7 instead. So I think the assessment that you were just wasting respondents' time is probably the *kinder* way of looking at it.

[​IMG]

Aldo and Robert Maxwell like this.