Contest: VOTE Which Federation Starship Class is your favourite and why?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by USS Artorius, Jan 18, 2023.

?

Which is your personal favourite?

1. NX Class

2. Consitution Class

3. Connie Refit

4. Excelsior Class

5. Excelsior Class Refit

6. Ambassador Class

7. Ambassador Class Refit

8. Galaxy Class

9. Intrepid Class

10. Defiant Class

11. Sovereign Class

12. Luna Class

13. Miranda Class

14. Constellation Class

15. ST FC ships

16. BOBW ships

17. FASA Design

18. Something Else

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. USS Artorius

USS Artorius Ensign Newbie

This might have been done a hundred times before but I would just like to know in detail why you think a particular ship or incarnation of one is your personal favourite and why. Strengths/weaknesses, context within a series or relevance to a character, capabilities, aesthetics... the list goes on. I want to know your thoughts!

Dukhat likes this.
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a choice between the Connie refit and the Galaxy class. But you made me choose only one, so the Galaxy won. :)

(Both ships were designed by the same guy, Andrew Probert. It’s a testament to his artistic and production skills that he developed two of the most iconic spacecraft in Sci-if history.)

USS Artorius likes this.
  3. USS Artorius

For me its a tough call between the Excelsior and the Galaxy. Both ships bore the name enterprise and both were ahead of their time in terms of design and engineering. While the Galaxy Class in-universe must have a fantastic reputation after the adventures of Picard and Co, the legacy of the Excelsior Class is a little more mysterious or at least under-represented in modern Star Trek. They were kept in service for at least ninety years by the end of the dominion war but not much is known about the exploits of the Enterprise B or the Excelsior post St VI: TUC. Speaking purely from a design perspective, I lean towards the Excelsior Class as the Galaxy seems ungainly and looks a little cumbersome IMO, despite its cutting edge technology. The Exc is large, streamlined and unmistakably federation. Its well-balanced, its proportions are great even if the entire ship looks a little stretched out length-wise. Now I have no idea how the impulse drives move the ships in zero gravity/vacuum but the Exc Refit was obviously capable of maneuvering itself with ease with the extra engines at the rear of the saucer. If it wasn't then this change seems entirely redundant! The new nacelle caps are a welcome addition to the plain black strip of the original, although I wish they made the bussards red instead of blue! Regardless of those couple of nit-picks, the Excelsior just about takes the top spot over the Galaxy as in my opinion its performance and reliability are the natural reason for it to have stuck around for so long. Now with the advent of ST PIC, there are many more designs to choose from, many of them based on the venerable Galaxy Class. So after these two, my third place would have to go to the Ross Class. It reminds me of the fan Charlestown Class and I love the Sovereign style hull triangle on the saucer!

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Intrepid class for me. It hall the amenities of the galaxy class but it's much smaller and easier to navigate internally.

USS Artorius likes this.
  5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nebula Class for me. I really like its look, somehow a squished Galaxy Class just looks really nice to me. I'd give Honorable mentions to the Constitution Class Refit and the regular Galaxy Class.

USS Artorius likes this.
  6. USS Artorius

Oh damn the Nebula Class was supposed to be on the list! I tried to include all the mainline ships and those often seen in each series. I actually really like the Apollo class too, the FASA "Miranda" version of the Ambassador. But as they are never seen onscreen I have concluded in my head Canon that there were only several made or it was a prototype that never got off the drawing board.

7. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Centaur class. Beautiful ship! :)

USS Artorius likes this.
  8. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sovereign and Nova just look great

USS Artorius likes this.
  9. Nightfall to-Ennien

Nightfall to-Ennien Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love many starships, but for me I could only answer the Galaxy class, because for me, the Enterprise-D is home.

USS Artorius likes this.
  10. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    New Orleans or GTFO

NCC-73515 and USS Artorius like this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Connie Refit as #1, with the Akira (under ST FC ships) in close second.

USS Artorius likes this.
  12. Airmandan

Airmandan Commander Red Shirt

Why is the Akira not on there? That is a sexy ship

USS Artorius likes this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

It would technically be a part of the "ST FC ships" selection, as it first appeared in First Contact. But yes, I agree that she stands out from all the rest of her classmates, even the Sovereign.

USS Artorius likes this.
  14. USS Artorius

Original Connie seems to be leading followed closely by the Galaxy class. Can't say I'm surprised but I guess you can't beat the original Sci-fi icon that is the USS Enterprise NCC-1701! The D was the first ship seen of its era and such a radical departure from the balanced and comparatively slim frame of the Connie. 1 vote for the Nebula, another for the Akira both I did not expect. The Akira is a ship I haven't given enough attention personally, however the double "neck" is definitely a creative and welcoming feature to set it apart from the rest. And angled nacelle for extra cool factor! :techman: We have yet to see a Canon dreadnought type ship aside from the D in AGT. I would love to see a new ship design post PIC that matches the size of the galaxy but takes all design cues from the post TNG (sovvy, akira) era. One last thing I have a strange love for the Steamrunner Class, I just think it's neat! :hugegrin:

blssdwlf and 137th Gebirg like this.
  15. 137th Gebirg

Actually, we have seen several, albeit distantly - the Niagara (TNG - "Best of Both Worlds") and the Hutzel (DS9 - "A Time To Stand").

In NuTrek, we also have the Armstrong, albeit sometimes referred to in the fandom as a "Fast Frigate".

Additionally, while not an official designation, STO calls the DSC ("People of Earth") 32nd century Merian class a "Command Science Dreadnought" as well. In the absence of any other contravening source, I'm inclined to stick with that classification for now.

The B.S. Roddenberrian "nacelles must be in pairs" nonsensical "rule" is long dead, and good riddance to it. The Freedom class also thumbs its nose at it, although it's long been said (apocryphally) that Galaxy-style nacelles contain 2 warp coils, so that and the Niagara may be a moot point.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023 at 4:17 PM
    USS Artorius likes this.
  16. Dukhat

I’m pretty sure the Hutzel wasn’t seen on screen.

17. 137th Gebirg

Hmm… well that’s a pickle. Ex Astris agrees with that. :(

18. Dukhat

The only confirmed DS9 kitbashes seen on screen were the Curry, Centaur/Buckner, Yeager, the ‘Ertl’ tug, and (possibly) the Raging Queen. I say ‘possibly’ because the opening scene of ‘A Time to Stand’ had two unknown Starfleet ships in the far background whose identities are a mystery. One looks similar to the profile of the Raging Queen, and the other is simply too small to make it out. But it doesn’t look like the Hutzel.

137th Gebirg likes this.