Which Episode to Start off with to get into the Show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ziyal's Ghost, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Ziyal's Ghost

Ziyal's Ghost Ensign Red Shirt

So I wanted to get my friend into TNG especially since she loves scifi but I can't think of which episode to start off with. I don't want to do it in episode order just yet because she usually loses interest a show if it doesn't interest her within like 5 episodes. Any episode you all can think of would be great, whatever you think would most likely grab someone's interest and what to watch the show further.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

"Cause and Effect" starts off with a bang. :p

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Tough question ... I wouldn't pick one of the top 10 episodes because then it's likely she'll lose interest if she realizes not every episode is as great as what you showed her first and in many cases they require some knowledge of characters or plot lines to be really effective. Yesterdays's Enterprise for example is not a good first episode as much as I love it because without knowing the regular timeline and Tasha it loses a lot of impact.

My suggestions (in no particular order)

Remember Me
    Clues
    The Offspring
    Lessons
    Disaster

All self contained good episodes with character focus but not so good that it can only go downhill from there.

4. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

I'd recommend in that order:

Sins Of The Father
    The Nth Degree
    A Matter Of Time
    Conundrum
    The Inner Light
    Schisms

All are good examples of different aspects of the series.

5. Physics of Trekkies

Physics of Trekkies Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

5 huh?

I'd go with one of the worst followed by a few of the average and a couple of the tops.

Justice is a great example of how they WANTED to be thought-provoking and failed miserably. I would pick it because we love to roast bad things together.

Inner Light is perfect as a stellar one-off.

Q Who is also a great intro to Q and the Borg while not revealing the BEST of Q nor even the best of the Borg!

Suspicions is an example of mystery with different alien species done "meh" while reserving the better mysteries for later.

Then give her a Part One of a two-parter and let THAT be the fifth. Go for broke:

Best of Both Worlds Part One

"There, honey, that was five. Want more?" hahaha

CDP likes this.
  6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enemy
    The Defector
    Darmok
    Q-Who
    The Best of Both Worlds 1 & 2

7. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

How about the final episode 'All Good Things...', it visits their first mission and lays down nicely how Q puts them on trial.

8. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

Start off with the absolute worst: The Outrageous Okona. If they still want to watch after that rubbish, then they will like everything.
    Maybe something like The First Duty

9. Swedish Borg

Add a plate of stale biscottis and a glass of sour milk to complete the experience.:lol:

Ziyal's Ghost likes this.
  10. DonIago

Slightly burnt popcorn is also encouraged.

11. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hard to say without knowing what they like. How about:
    Encounter at Farpoint
    Measure of a Man
    Q Who
    Who Watches the Watchers
    Darmok

12. GulBahana

GulBahana Commander Red Shirt

Q Who is probably the only second season episode I'd recommend to a newcomer.
    follow that up with Best of Both Worlds
    Family
    Darmok
    Sins of the Father

13. DonIago

I feel like introducing a newcomer to BoBW too soon could set them up for false expectations regarding the overall quality of the show. Telling them "this is the best it gets" doesn't seem like a great idea either. :p

I think there may have been some viewers who watched the series back when it was released who kept hoping, especially if there was a Borg episode (thankfully TNG was fairly restrained about that), that the series would hit the peak of BoBW1 again, and IMO it may have come close a few times, but never quite hit that height again.

I had the reverse effect with LOST where I started with the first chunk of S3, then when the show went on hiatus I picked up S1 and S2 on DVD and binge-watched. It got events a bit muddled in my head (appropriate for that series?) but it also meant I unknowingly started with what I believe is generally considered to be the worst of the series; it only got better from there.

Similarly, when a friend expressed interest in Babylon Five I advised her that S1 might be a bit difficult to sit through, but that things picked up with S2...but that if S1 was just too painful, we could move on to something else. She stuck through it!

Ziyal's Ghost likes this.
  14. Physics of Trekkies

Physics of Trekkies Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it helps, I do not think BoBW sets up false expectations though re: the overall quality of the show. The only concession I would grant you is that no other "space opera"-conflicts-between-star-systems episodes comes close to that level of suspense (Redemption 1/2, etc), but there are far more single episodes that reach that level of quality or surpass it.

As to telling them this is "the best it gets", I even disagree with that. So I will out myself as one of the few people alive who prefers Chain of Command as a better two-parter than BofBW. I am now putting on my flame-resistant gear.

Richard S. Ta and Ziyal's Ghost like this.
  15. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I don't think doing Q Who -> BOBW -> Family is a good idea because it will make the show look much more serialized than it is. They're great episodes but they might give the wrong impression.

16. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

None is the best.

None is the worst.

But I'll pick some 5

That really quench my thirst.

(for the show)

/groan

In no order, unless it comes with fries and a cola:

Symbiosis
    Contagion
    Q Who
    Hollow Pursuits
    First Contact (season 4 episode)

17. DonIago

Oh, I enjoy "Contagion" even if the solution feels a bit dopey, especially by today's standards. "First Contact" is an interesting choice given that it starts out from the perspective of not-Our Heroes. That could be a neat way to introduce someone to them, through the eyes of aliens who also don't know them yet.

18. Swedish Borg

Did anyone notice that one of the aliens in Symbiosis is played by none other than the guy who played Kirks Son in WOK and TSFS?

19. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. I did.

Khan's son's in it too.

Swedish Borg likes this.
  20. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11001001 is the first episode of TNG I say fires on all cylinders, so I’d call that a good starting point. Follow that up with Home Soil. Those two in particular are TNG season one coming close to, if not being equal to TNG in its prime.

Then I’d move to season two and Measure of a Man, Contagion, and Q Who.

That’s keeping to original episode order, of course, but if you can’t appreciate TNG in the first two seasons, you can’t really appreciate what it grew in to after them in my book.

21. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can think of a couple...