Where were Miles and Keiko married?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by T'Girl, Dec 3, 2012.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Was the wedding ceremony held in Ten Forward? Or was the scene supposed to be happening somewhere else in the ship, a redress of the Ten Forward set?

All the tables and chairs are gone, and I don't think you ever see the bar counter top itself in the scene. Were Miles and Keiko married in what is essentially a bar? When the dancing took place, the chamber seemed larger than Ten Forward.

The show of course re-dresses various sets to be different rooms aboard the ship. In the first season the observation lounge behind the bridge and sickbay were the same set. Picard, Riker, Crusher and Trio all have the same set as their living quarters.

This is kind of outgrowth of another thread, I was wondering if the Enterprise D would have a formal chapel somewhere on board for weddings and such. Being a large ship, it would certainly have the room.

Was it Ten Forward?

:)

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

We have seen 10-Fwd (I mean the one and same starship facility, not the set) rearranged for example for musical performances: the raised area close to the (portside) doors has sometimes been cleared of tables, say, in "Peak Performance". It's still supposed to be 10-Fwd.

On the other hand, in the teaser of "Data's Day", the flowers are being stacked on what certainly looks like Guinan's bar counter, with the green-lined mirror behind it. When the wedding commences, we can see these very flowers and the mirror frame behind the couple:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x11/datasday346.jpg

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the idea of the ten-forward redresses was to suggest other rooms on the rim of the saucer - it would be a sad state of affairs indeed if every time there was an official function / music recital / amateur dramatic show etc, all the officers got chased out of their one and only watering hole!

As do many of the other characters featured on the show! But in this case it's not unnatural - why would the architecture of living quarters be substantially different from one another?

4. T'Girl

One of my favorite redresses is to produce a gym, they placed a mirror closing off one end of a section of corridor.

5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was a clever use of space - they were pretty creative during the first few years of TNG's run.
    Voyager - less so. We just saw the same rooms over and over again.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Especially since there's eleventy-million cubic meters of space in that ship. There MUST be special rooms for ceremonies, performances, mud wrestling, etc.

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On rare occasion we've seen the 10-Forward set redressed as definitely another room. "Frame of Mind" had it as a stage, for example.

Still, 10-Forward was supposed to be the best window on the ship, and arguably the only one that wasn't the Captain's quarters, that had an unobstructed, directly-forward view in the direction the ship was traveling - everywhere else on the ship has windows that looked more up or down than straight ahead. As such, they would certainly want to use it for prominent events on the ship, even if there are plenty of other lounges and such around.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me that they would NORMALLY use the ship's chapel for weddings, but Miles or Keiko pulled some strings to get it bumped up because it's where they first met, or got drunk together, or whatever. The only other wedding on ship was the aborted Lwaxana nuptials, but her Ambassadorial status could have allowed her to be given away in a more prominent place.

Mark

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually could see O'brien being down with being married in a bar. Why not? Being Keiko clearly dominated the rest of the ceremony.

9. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Real life bars can be very versatile anyway, on Saturday I had lunch in a place full of tables that by evening had become a nightclub dancefloor. It's always been a bit of a puzzle where all the tables go when the place doesn't look like it has that much space out the back...

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

We've seen 10-Fwd (as well as the Observation Lounge set) re-purposed many times on the show to suggest other areas of the ship. (Yes, it can be argued the ObLng windows don't match any other set of windows, but it WAS used to suggest other ship areas. So we have to hand-wave the windows detail.)

I think Miles and Keiko were suggested to be married in 10-Fwd, forget it being "a bar" it has the best viewport on the ship. Perfect spot for a wedding. It just makes things inconvenient for some of the crew not invited.

CREWMAN #1: Hey, want to grab a drink in Ten Forward?

CREWMAN #2: Can't, the O'Brien wedding is in there tonight.

CREWMAN #1: Oh. Well, how about Seven Port, then?

CREWMAN #2: You're on!

11. T'Girl

It's too bad the ship was out of warp at the time of the wedding. If the rainbow streaks were streaming pass the windows sideways (not straight on) that would definitely indicate the room was around the side of the saucer.

Pretty obvious that where ever it is, it on deck ten.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the "best view port on the ship" would have meant something more if they were viewing something, a planet, a nebula, something other than just a static starfield. Yeah going to warp would've given a good view or even constantly dropping in and out of warp in a fashion to keep creating that "transition to warp" look we've seen a couple of times in the show.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that...

14. T'Girl

Weddings are always about the bride, the groom just has to show up.

15. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As someone that has ran bars, I can confirm that we hide them in subspace.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kind of like the O'Brien's marriage, it would seem. :lol: