Where is United Earth's government located?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jan 24, 2023 at 8:58 PM.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have any novels dealt with the question of which city has United Earth's government headquarters? (Somebody asked that question over in General Trek and I didn't know what to tell them.)

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Memory Beta claims it's London and cites Starfleet: Year One and an STO mission called Divided Earth. Kinda boring IMO.

ETA: See here.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023 at 7:34 PM
    The Wormhole likes this.
  3. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Memory Alpha talks about six regions of United Earth governed from their capitals of San Francisco, Paris, Kyoto, Lima, Cape Town, and Christchurch. I generally assume Paris is where they meet if they have to have a conference in person, based on Star Trek VI and Articles of the Federation.

Ronald Held and Ogrebear like this.
  4. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I'm not actually sure if ENT specified where Prime Minister Nathan Samuels kept his permanent office.

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boseman. (Runner up, Des Moines.)

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So London is the capital of Earth and Paris is the capital of the Federation. Appears European dominance continues well into the future.

Sci, Jinn and Ogrebear like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

There's no such STO mission. Someone on M-B is making stuff up, fixed the article (the citation at least).

Are you sure you were reading Memory-Alpha? The Memory-Alpha page on United Earth doesn't say anything like that.

TheAlmanac, Mr. Laser Beam and Jinn like this.
  8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Thanks, I appreciate the correction! Out of curiosity I checked, and this is the user who added the false information. They apparently also added incorrect stuff to other pages (some of which has been corrected), with an apparent anti-religion agenda.

Also, the article originally cited the ENT novel Kobayashi Maru for San Fransisco as the location of the prime minister's office.

9. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Earth#

Under the trivia section is where I was looking. Whether the data actually answers the question being asked or is correct, I cannot say, as I do not own either of those reference books.

Ogrebear likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It didn't.

11. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

The novels never really established it. The ENT Relaunch variously implied it was San Francisco and Paris. The Myriad Universes novella A Less Perfect Union established that the United Earth capital of at least one alternate timeline was Geneva, Switzerland.

Personally, I would prefer to imagine that the U.E. capital is either in Asia, Africa, or South America, to get away from the implicit idea of Euro-American dominance. My personal headcanon is that it's Mogadishu, Somalia.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Were I ever given the chance to establish such a thing, I would probably put it in Morocco.

Sci likes this.
  13. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Casablanca!