When you all watched 'Threshold'

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dale Sams, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did you find yourself at a loss to explain how confused the premise is??

Going from warp 9.5 (or whatever) to INFINITE SPEED just....makes me just go "whaaaa."?

Whatever 9.5 is whether its 9.5 x 9.5 x 9.5 x 9.5 or something else....its not even remotely related to INFINITE SPEED. The term 'warp 10' is meaningless if its actually infinite speed.

Increasing a ships speed and going infinite speeds are two completely different problems. It would be like discovering a more efficient means of extracting oil from shale and expecting to apply that to cold fusion.

And holy shit...if Paris is such an 'infinite speed' aficionado that he's a new form of dilithium and a brainstorm session away from solving it...WTF is he doing in the command branch of SF??

susannah and Qonundrum like this.
  2. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

As for "Threshold", it never happened!

It was just a nightmare Paris had after eating too much Leola Root stew or drinking too much of Neelix’s coffee. The best evidence for this episode being nothing but a nightmare is the fact that no one ever mentioned the events in the episode in later episodes. I mean, Paris almost dies, turns into a lizard, abducts Janeway who is also turned into a lizard and they have lizard “children” and no one talks about it or jokes about it later!

penguin44 likes this.
  3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate this episode. Together with TNG - Conspiracy. 'Nuff said.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I had read the TNG tech manual so I knew warp 10 was infinite speed.

The evolution thing was just so dumb though.

Paul Weaver, Butters and NCC-73515 like this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the concept of the term "warp 10" as a placeholder for infinite speed had already been around for several years. But the way they depict it in this episode, as something you can accelerate up to (even with the benefit of this new "transwarp drive" they came up with)... that was a bunch of hooey. The TNG-era warp scale is on a curve which never actually reaches warp 10. So the best you could ever do is add more numbers after the decimal point of warp 9.9999~whatever.

Kor

6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure the ending was silly but I never hated the episode. Never understood the hatred for it

BillJ and F. King Daniel like this.
  7. GulBahana

GulBahana Commander Red Shirt

It peaked my curiosity when I first watched it but after thinking about it for a minute when it was over...

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's arguably more entertaining than any number of safe, sane, middle-of-the road episodes.

That ending with the salamanders made my jaw drop in a good way. I still remember that moment, which is more than I can say for a lot of less wild-and-crazy episodes.

9. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

I found "Threshold" more plausible than TNG's "Genesis" where the crew turn into Neanderthals, spiders, and venom spewing creatures. FWIW :lol:

Turtletrekker, Catarina and May 20 like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved this episode. Ridiculous af, but any moreso than a dozen other bizarro Trek episodes? Nope.

Kirby, Tracy Trek and NCC-73515 like this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I first saw Threshold I was only ten or eleven and had no idea the science was bad. I loved the episode. Now that I know the science is bad? I don't care, I still love the episode.

NCC-73515 and F. King Daniel like this.
  12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That ep was fun, too, in a monster-movie kinda way.

Farscape One likes this.
  13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I look at Threshold the same way I look at Spocks Brain. The episode ends weirdly, but there was some good in there, like the first 20 minutes. As for the whole Warp effect, yeah it's probably implausible, but it was fun to explore.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was unconscionable to leave the baby salamanders behind.

Kor

15. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So i gave this some thought cause i'm a big ol nerd.

Maybe it works like this. The TNG scale is still (X) to the fourth power, BUT....'warp 10' 10,000 times the speed of light is impossible within the framework of warp theory.....BUTTTTTTTTTT (This is a big ol butt) for some reason INFINITE SPEED ISSSSS theoretically possible within whatever warp equations they have. So thats what they call Warp 10.

Now...how the fuck you can occupy all points in the universe at once??? Wouldn't you kill everything? Wouldn't you have infinite mass?

Seems to me one shouldn't be striving to break the fucking universe.

Kirby and Nakita Akita like this.
  16. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

So they know Warp 10 turns you into a salamander. I don't know why they just didn't go Warp 9.9999999etc? Or have the EMH subject the crew to anti-protons or whatever after they hit Warp 10 and got home.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  17. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or put everyone is stasis, and let the computer fly the ship. And let the EMH contact Starfleet command over subspace radio when they get close enough.

18. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess the same goes for TNG Conspiracy. Which I hate. On the other hand, I love TNG Genesis with Reg Barclay as spider.......

19. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I haven't watched the ep in years, but it never struck me as being anywhere near as bad as so many people make it out to be. There are much worse episodes of Voyager, and many poorer episodes of other Trek series. If the utterly stupid nonsense with the salamanders didn't exist it would actually be a decent ep, as I recall. But all anyone remembers is the idiotic bits, which granted are pretty damned idiotic.

Indeed. I don't get why this piece of crap (which is on my list of eps that are much, much worse than "Threshold") isn't regarded with the same derision "Threshold" routinely attracts. "Genesis" has no redeeming features of any kind, IMO; it's just complete garbage.

20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Genesis has Barclay and I like anything with Barclay in it.

Turtletrekker and Greg Cox like this.