When (if ever) did you and Smallville part ways?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gaith, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, the point of no complete return came in 3.2, when Lana KILLED a guy and it was never mentioned again. Clark accidentally killing is one thing; he has a different perspective on life, but it should have had an effect on Lana.

Some good eps followed, including Memoria (the series' single best, as far as I know), but they had an elegiac quality to them; it was clear to me that the show was no longer interested in reconciling the comic book mythos with reality (we only saw one classroom in the first three years), and without that crucial balancing act, I wasn't interested.

Legacy should have been great, but barely made sense. The S3 finale was decent enough, but though I may watch 4.1 one day just to see how it ends (I've read the spoilers), I wasn't invested enough to continue.

Maybe I'll watch some of the better-reviewed S8s one day, but the emotionally rich and tantalizingly realistic show I'd identified with (I was a high school sophomore during S1, and, like Clark, had an impossible crush) died in 3.2.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Smallville and I parted ways several times over the past few years. I tried and tried to get into it - the teen angst was too much to stomach. I'd check out a season premiere, bail, check out the season finale, come back for the premiere, and repeat the process. But like everyone in the universe, I loved the Luthors and Chloe. I guess I bailed permanently about 2-3 years back.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Halfway through every season, my interest fizzles out every February and then I get sucked back in with the season finale.
    Season 8 is great so far, this may be the first time I watch the entire season, I love Sam Witwer, his casting is the best thing that could happen to the show, Cassidy Freeman is great too.

4. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Never bailed. It's a tremendous guilty pleasure which has become a lot more about the DCU instead of just Superman, which is great IMO.

Besides, any show about Superman that is on on a weekly basis - I just can't NOT watch that.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I haven't yet, but if the show continues beyond this season but they don't keep Allison Mack on then I would quit.

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They lost me when it moved from Tuesday nights; I just really don't watch much tv on Thursday night (except ER on occasion). Smallville season five did pull me back in for whatever reason, but I had dropped out again by the end of that season. I still catch an episode of Smallville here and there, but mostly I just forget it's even on the air.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've watched every season in its entirety, but I have watched the vast majority of episodes. Didn't bail on the show until this season though. Hot chicks that look great in HD aren't enough to keep me watching, otherwise I'd be tuning into CSI: Miami.

Of course, the second episode of the first season with Wonder Years dad as the first meteor freak of the week, that tipped me off as to how bad the show would be. If every network had their own quality equivalent of Smallville, CBS would be CSI: Miami and NBC would be Knight Rider.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I stuck with it much longer that I probably would have if Kristin Kreuk hadn't been in it. The writing got increasingly lame, but she was just so sublimely gorgeous that I couldn't keep away. But in the seventh season, it got so dreadful that even she couldn't keep me watching, and I skipped a number of episodes toward the end. I was expecting to abandon it for good.

But then I gave the eighth season a try, and found to my surprise that it's greatly improved. It's still got some systemic weaknesses, but it's much better than it had been before. The departure of the original showrunners and their restrictions allowed the writing staff to make some long-overdue changes in Clark's life, and that's actually made the show less tedious and more engaging. The writing still isn't great, but it no longer sinks to the depths it reached before.

9. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

10. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I never watched consistently, but "Reckoning" was my end-the early OTT happiness, then Clark not really considering the bad part of a balance, 2 resets (not going through with Lana dieing or knowing). Already being the 5th season, now without Jonathan and with more back-and-forth Clana, let alone with Lana being with Lex, it seemed like they were just going to stretch the series out.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I bailed after I saw an episode.

12. Morfius

Morfius Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1) early in the series, a new female Sherrif announced she was in town and watching Clark. In the next episode, the space ship blew up in the Storm cellar, yet neither the new sherrif nor the FBI showed up to investigate the 'Meth lab' explosion! (things like this show that the producers know nothing at all about Kansas)

2)When they kept showing terrains (like mountains) that don't exist in Kansas. And never showed terrains (like the flint hills) that don't exist in Califia or B.C.

3)When they clearly showed Cloe's death in an explosion, then several episodes later said whoops! she faked her death. (even thos she didn't have time to in the way they showed her death)

4)When I moved somewhere that smallville doesn't air . . . and didn't care!

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

After the second episode, which, if I recall correctly, was about some kid who got freezing powers after being exposed to kryptonite in the lake created by one of the craters from the meteor shower.

When I realized it was gonna be a lame Kryptonite-fueled Monster of the Week show, I was done. :p

14. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I quit and come back. Often I changed to evening shifts at work and don't record it or bother to watch episodes on the net. This season is the first where I tried to keep track of it.

One season, I was like LOIS LANE? When did they add her?

The only reason I ever started watching was because I had no cable for a year, I like John Glover, and Kristin and Allison were nice to look at.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I watched the first 3 seasons in college and loved them. The show was fun and addictive, even if it wasn't the most well-written thing in the world.

Then my roommate ran out of DVDs, so I never found out what happened.

16. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always watched the show on a very loose basis. If it happens to be on and there's nothing I'd like to see instead, I'll probably stay tuned for the episode. Mostly I enjoy the episodes.

But I always hope it will feature the Luthers prominently :D.

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

To quote Meatloaf, "you took the words right out of my mouth!"

:)

Allison has been the prime reason I've kept returning to this show each week, though I have been greatly enjoying this further exploration of the DCU in Season 8. But Smallville without Chloe just wouldn't work for me.

;)

18. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I stopped watching when I couldn't figure out what the hell night it was on . . . they kept moving it and I just gave up

19. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Is this supposed to be a joke? It was on tuesday night for seasons 1 and 2, wednesday night for seasons 3 and 4 and thursday night since season 5. If you couldn't figure that out, you didn't even try, it's not like it moved constantly.

20. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I stopped watching a while ago because it just hasn't held my interest. I'd say the one factor that got me super tired of the show was Lana's constant whining, especially when she held her OWN secret for quite some time.

I do plan to Netflix what I've missed. I believe I stopped at the beginning of S5. While the show has tedious elements, I am a DC comics fan and love Superman, so I'd like to watch for more of the mythology elements and just to be up to date. Thing is, I have a ton of other shows ahead of it in my queue that are better (Dexter, Bones...) so the show will probably complete its run before I get to them. :p