What's your preferred age range for dating?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by The Borg Queen, Dec 6, 2008.

1. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine is from 10% younger than myself to 40% older than myself. This formula should work whatever my age happens to be.

I'm currently 27, so at the moment that would mean I would generally only consider dating people roughly between the ages of 24 and 38. (Of course there would always be exceptions, but we're ignoring them for this discussion.)

I really don't understand 40+ year olds who expect people in their late teens to want to go out with them, while completely ignoring those who are the same age as themselves. If you don't find people your own age attractive, why the hell do you expect anyone else to find *you* attractive? :confused:

Anyway, what age range do you prefer to date, and how do you imagine that age range would change as you grow older (assuming you don't get into a long-term relationship)?

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

At 25, I was rather surprised to find myself thinking 18-year-olds were too young the other day. Then I remembered that's how old my brother is now.

3. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer to date someone whose age mine was within a year of. My significant other is slightly beyond that, though, at just under 15 months younger. There is certainly an "ick" factor for persons much younger, who start to approach the age of my little sister (four yours younger). Thus, I'm 24 and would prefer to date someone between 23 and 25, and would almost certainly not date someone older than 26 or younger than 22.

4. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I never gave it much thought until about a year ago, when I met and started dating a 24-year-old (I was 40 at the time). The age difference didn't bother him at all, so I stopped worrying about it. Now I'm dating a 23-year-old - Monday will mark the two-month point in our relationship. (We met at Labour Day, but only made the relationship official October 8.) Everyone else I'd ever dated in my life was either two years younger than me (as my ex-husband was), or anywhere from two to five years older than me.

Someone said to me a week or so ago, "What can you possibly talk about?" The answer, in this case, is "Quite a bit, actually." We discuss science fiction, politics, computers (he's in IT too), and a whole bunch of other subjects.

Now, if you'll excuse me, he just got home with his groceries... we're having dinner together tonight, over our webcams. :)

5. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I'm 27, I'd date between 21-50. I love chicks older than me, what can I say?

6. Philo

Philo Commodore Commodore

I've never really put much thought into this, although it can be fun to compare notes with someone when an age discrepancy is discovered. Generally, I've dated people two to four years younger than me, though that has more to do with the fact that my social circle has always been that much younger than me. I've only dated someone my own age once, and I've been on a couple of dates with someone who was a few years older than me (with a child, no less). If I had to really define a range, I'd say anywhere from 18 to 40 (I'm 25). That obviously depends on the individual and becomes less likely to happen at each extreme.

7. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I used to always end up with women a few years older than me but at some point this year when I became single again I only seemed to end up with younger women.

With one exception, the younger women have annoyed me. It sounds harsh thinking about it, but they've been needy, immature, selfish and have caused a major issue out of my having a daughter or my less than serious views on religion (though it can be fun telling them my theories).

I'd say late 20's-ish.

Though I'd also add the condition that regardless of age, she must be a geek. After the last few weeks worth of dates I'm making it a requirement.

8. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

Definitely no-one younger than me! +3 to 5 years is optimal for me, perhaps up to +8 to 10 years maximum. :)

9. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

Before getting married I worked on the -3 to +5 range when I was in my late 20's. If I went with the whole "in theory" thing I'd have to say 5 years either side is my limit now that I'm in my early 30's.

10. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

At this point at least, I don't like putting limits on who I date. I think it depends on the situation and the person I'm considering dating.

As it is, I'm 21, and my girlfriend is 26.

11. Philo

Philo Commodore Commodore

I can understand that to a certain degree. I think the immaturity of some of the women I've dated had as much to do with them as with their age, though.

I think almost all of the women I've dated have been geeks to some degree (well, isn't everybody?), but I'm still hoping to be able to date an actual Trek geek someday. :D

12. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I think I've been spoiled with an attractive, busty ex who loved Star Trek so much that we named our daughter after a DS9 character.

After that I found anti-ST fans. Not good... but I'll find another one, I'm patient... ish...

13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I hadn't thought of it much before as I was in committed relationships for 23 of the last 25 years (being effectively uncommitted for about two years around when I was 30). Looking back I have never been with anyone under the age of 26 years old, so maybe that is a good cut off.

Frankly, if a woman isn't well educated enough to converse on many topics and isn't curious about learning even more, I can't imagine spending very much time with such a person. And a caring and generous heart usually seals the deal for me. What someone looks like physically is very far down my list because looks can be lost in either an instant or over the course of a lifetime... who someone is on the inside is who I'll actually be spending my life with.

Looking back, I had very little in common with people under the age of about 25 or so even when I was under 25 myself. I didn't understand what those people's motivations were then, and I haven't gained any insight in the intervening years, so that makes it easy to rule them out even if I was single (which I hope will never happen again).

14. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm 24... 19(maybe)-26

15. msbae

msbae Commodore

18-35 years old. Anyone older than that better be one hawt momma. Anyone younger than that will just have to dream.

16. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IcehoneyRose is somewhere in never never land
    I havent really found a good age range yet. Guys my own age typically are extremely immature and I dont get along with them; I wind up being their "trophy" girlfriend. Most of the girls my age I have talked to tell me to date someone in their late 20s early 30s. I dated a guy who was 33 and he still wasnt emotionally mature enough.

Something tells me I am cursed.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

When I last dated--way back at age 30-31--the age range was 22 to 45. I dated 22 and 45 year olds. Within a month of meeting the woman who became my wife, I had been seeing women who were 28, 31, and 33. While I like women to be mature, I didn't really mind what age they were, though I have always had a preference for women older than me.

RAMA

18. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Stop expecting the guys to ever be emotionally mature and you will do fine. :p

19. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IcehoneyRose is somewhere in never never land
    Hardy har har!

20. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

if I were single (married men need to preface everything they say with that)

anyone between 25-45 plus or minus 5 years depending