What's with the DVDs?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Nakita Akita, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I watch DS9 and Next Gen over and over And over, my DS9 episodes, have always skipped and had skips and stops, but I was trying to watch season 5 last night (possibly it's season 6)
    But anyway, when I put the disc in it brings up a blue and yellow screen that says:
    Video TS
    Audio TS
    If I hit my remote buttons I can get it to open up like its going to play the video,
    But then when the main video opens with the Cardassian screen and the Space station, there is nothing highlighted, so it won't play the episodes.
    I know, I can do net flicks etc. but I'm not sure I want to go that route.
    I'll probably just try to buy a new season 5
    But does anyone else have So many issues with the DVD's?

2. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

I can tell you that there were a lot of bootleg DS9 DVD sets out. I know because I got one (unintentionally) and it looked pretty convincing as a 'real' product, but the discs were hard to read for my players. Eventually I tracked down some web posts that talked about the bootlegs and realized my set was one of them.

If it's not a bootleg set, then you simply got some bad discs. This is pretty rare in my experience (and I have a lot of DVDs), but it does happen. Have you tried playing them on a different player?

BillJ likes this.
  3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Funny, every time I have bought a season of DS9 on DVD, at least one disc has playback issues on an episode or two. So I just watch the show on Netflix.

Kor

4. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Hmm. Sounds like you got a lemon or a bootleg. I bought the new DS9 DVD set and I've watched 5 seasons and haven't had any issues. You might need to just return it and get another one.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Have the whole show on DVD. Never had any issues with the playback. There was some problem with the inner rings on the discs easily breaking apart, but I put all of the discs in a separate folder and eliminated the problem.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Never had a problem with mine. The discs, at least. The cases are crap.

7. Balok's Decoy

Oh my god, that last disc that's just glued, kind of, to the inside wall of the case is TERRIBLE.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I ripped all the episodes from my DVDs to a hard drive as MKV files. Much easier to access. Kept my DVDs of course. Many modern TVs and DVD players can display MKV video from a connected USB drive.

9. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I bought the re-release set last year, and all those seem to be fine. Although I still watch Star Trek primarily on Netflex or Hulu for some reason.

10. Nakita Akita

It looks like a real set. It's in a box with sons fancy sort of clear covers with art work on them. There is one cover that folds out like tri-fold and a sort of cover that when that part is closed.
    I tried playing them on an older player and they worked on that one.
    On the down side that one is hooked up to a teeny little TV.
    But still it seems odd that my Next Gen all play fine and DS9 is a hodgepodge.

11. Nakita Akita

Yea, like I EVEN know what you're talking about!

12. Balok's Decoy

I don't think I've seen this set. Could you post some pics? I'm curious.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Is there a UPC on the box? Bootlegs usually don't reproduce the official UPC. Type the # into Google and see what comes up.

Any problems with any other discs?

14. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I have had and still has the same problems with the DS9 discs and also the TNG discs.

My problems with those discs are accurately described in this thread so anyone interested can read here:
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/what-the-is-wrong-with-my-ds9-dvd-s.262327/

After haggling with this for over a year with no reply from Paramount and with the shop I bought those discs from constantly blaming Paramount, I swallowed my pride and bought the whole DS9 series in a box.

Since I'd already watched seasons 1, 2 and 3, I only rewatched the episodes in those seasons which I'd had problems with before.

No problems until I got to the season 4 episode "Broken Link" when the DVD started to malfunction at the end of the episode. There were also some problems with "Apocalypse Rising" in season 5.

OK, I could watch the episodes but there were some sluggish parts.

It will be interestin to see how the rest of the series turns out.

Note that I've never watched those episodes on those discs before and I've bought the discs from a reliable dealer.

Anyway, I've started to have the same problems with some TNG episodes as well and it was just three yerars since I bought the whole TNG series ina a DVD box.

Meanwhile, the seasons 1, 2 and 3 of Voyager which I bought in 2006 still works fine!
    And I watched those episodes maaaaaany times!

My guess is that the DVD:s shipped to Europe after 2006 are downright crap.

Either they don't work from the start or gets corrupted after one or two views.

Shame on you Paramount! :mad:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  15. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

That's what my bootleg ones looked like, too. I'll track down what the telltale differences are and post later, but at least it's working on the older player, so they may not be bootlegs.

16. Nakita Akita

Im not sure how to post pictures. :shrug:

17. Nakita Akita

Right now on my one DVD player it brings up as above, the blue and yellow screen like an old excel spreadsheet with only the two entries and nothing will play from there, but they are working on my older DVD player

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Hard to tell whether you do or you don't. One can interpret your sentence either way.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a pretty good description of the original release (R1) DVDs to me.

20. Nakita Akita

I looked a set up on E-bay and it says it's from 2004!
    I bought them used.