Whats the difference between these two model phaser pistols?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lant, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lant

Lant Cadet Newbie

Hi

Im looking for an TOS model phaser. I found out there are mainly two different versions floating around, both by Art Asylumd / Diamond Select. A grey one with a grey handle, and a blue one with a black handle. Depending on where you look, sometimes the black one is more expensive, and sometimes the grey one is more expensive.

I have heard the grey one is original in size 1:1, while the blue one is not. Is that true? If not, what are the differences between those two:

Grey: Star Trek Original Series Gray Handle Phaser - Diamond Select - Star Trek - Prop Replicas at Entertainment Earth
    Blue: Star Trek Tek Classic Phaser - Diamond Select - Star Trek - Prop Replicas at Entertainment Earth

Or another shop:

Grey: Amazon.com: Diamond Select Toys Star Trek Exclusive Classic Phaser Grey Handle: Toys & Games
    Blue: Amazon.com: Star Trek the Original Series Black Handle Phaser: Toys & Games

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Color.

I have both versions, as well as the white handled and bronze handled versions. They were all made with the same molds, and have the same internal parts. The only difference is color.

3. Lant

Lant Cadet Newbie

Ah allright. Which one is closer to the series? Or did they use them both about the same amount?

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

5. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow - so you use that silver wheel thing on the Phaser 1 to fire it, rather than a hidden button underneath, as in the Diamond select editions.

And by spinning the wheel, you firstly raise the silver plate, then a small emitter thing pops out the front, then finally a light goes on to show that it is firing. Man, talk about attention to detail!

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Diamond select prop replicas - they are detailed enough to display, but sturdy enough to survive frequent landing party missions (very handy if you have kids!).

6. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

They also made a gold handled phaser pistol that's always going for good money on eBay. I truly appreciate diamond select toys the TOS phaser and tricorder is the best I've ever seen.?

7. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

The Art Asylum phasers are great for the money. Another option that shouldn't be discounted is the (now semi-rare) phaser squirt gun. Other than the typical squirt gun trigger, they actually look good. But if you want to really go for the gusto, Master Replicas phasers can't be beat. Their weight, metal construction, and sound quality, are tops. The worst thing about the Master Replicas phasers (aside from price... usually well over $1,000) is that they feel like they should be "real" phasers. Making their inability to shoot a spouse on stun setting, rarely gets the silence one sometimes craves.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The Master Replicas version has the added feature of being able to be completely disassembled to its various components (phaser I, phaser II body, power pack).

What I'm curious about is if you can stack the power packs, something that's certainly implied in the original design (and a major aspect of my phaser rifle design).

9. Captain Robert April

You missed this update...

10. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

What do you mean by "stacking?" If you mean physically, the MR power packs aren't especially formed/shaped to do so. Nor are they setup electrically to do anything in series or parallel. They are attached via the 50's/60's "round plug," which you occasionally ran into in real life in those days.

As to the "Trigger" of the phaser one's... both MR & AA phasers are triggered there, and if you watch Shatner, that is definitely where the prop's trigger was (Shatner seemed to be the only person on the show who consistently treated props like they were real, on screen). However, the question in my mind is whether that location was more a side effect of making the special effect cue "workable" in both configurations (P1 and P1+P2), than of the actual "design."

I love my Master Replicas Phaser. (So much so, that I bought a second one, just to have a backup!) If you can swing one, it is THE toy you wanted when you were young and made phaser 1's out of wood.

11. Captain Robert April

If you take a look at the bottom of the power pack, you should find the same type of socket as on the phaser II body, for the attachment of a second power pack.

Additionally, in Matt Jefferies' original design sketch, there's a notation of a small notch in the rear of the phaser II body, for attachment of "unit #4", which I can only conclude is a part that turns the thing into the never-seen post WNMHGB phaser rifle. (Here's a cleaned up version of that sketch...)

[​IMG]

Here's my idea of where MJ was going...

[​IMG]

Add another power pack to the pistol grip and you really get that Special UNCLE Gun feel...

12. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

No, like the AA, the MR's can only take one.

That is along the lines of what I envisioned when I read The Making Of Star Trek, in the 60's. Not the untenable thing we got in the 2nd pilot.

And if you just remove the stock, you get the Harry Callahan feel! Versatility in a design! From Robert to Clint, with some William in the middle!

Neopeius likes this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Except I've handled such props and there's nothing natural about holding it it all. You can't really put your fingertip on the trigger and see the sight without holding it rather awkwardly.

Neopeius likes this.
  14. Tom Lake

Tom Lake Cadet Newbie

Don't forget the Wand Co. Phaser. It's much better than the Art Asylum plastic model and, arguably as good as the Master Replicas model while being about 1/5 the price. It was produced by laser scans of the hero version used on the show. The heft and feel are as close to real as you can get. The handle is removeable but has no battery pack in it. When you press the trigger on Phaser II with Phaser I locked into it, you feel a vibration that makes the light and sound effects seem even more real.

Neopeius and publiusr like this.
  15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

First, welcome to the board.

Second, please take some time to review the rules of posting here, pinned at the top of this forum. Specifically, the one about resurrecting dead threads.

This one has been dead for over 11 years. Let’s let it Rest In Peace, shall we?

Thanks

Kor and StarCruiser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.