Whatever happened to that Ambassador job Worf?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr. Scott, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

I was watching the last episode of DS9, when Worf was offered the job of Federation Ambassador of Kronos, what happened to that job?

Did he get fired? Was he not used to Klingon culture, the politics, the Targ hunting, having to drink bloodwine with General Martok (the good ol' boy Klingon) everyday? General boredom?

I don't think Worf would have enjoyed that job anyway. Maybe he turned it down off screen? Maybe the Klingons were overthrown by another government and the Martok government, including Worf have been exiled.

Is there a "canonical" explanation?

2. Tallis Rhul

Tallis Rhul Commander Red Shirt

Simply put, no.

There are several workable explanations however, one of which you mention in your post - he turned it down off screen.

According to non-canon (specifically the Star Trek: The Next Generation relaunch books and the upcoming Star Trek Online's Path to 2409 future history) he rejoins the U.S.S. Enterprise-E to act as Picard's first officer, but only after some hearty persuasion from Picard himself. He then later returns to his role as Federation Ambassador to Qo'nos and/or captains his own ship in the Klingon Defense Force depending on what you're reading or looking at.

There's nothing to say he couldn't be First Officer aboard the Enterprise as well as Ambassador to Qo'nos though, he'd just have to travel to Qo'nos whenever needed (or to the Federation Council or whichever). Also let's not forget Nemesis, which is canon, and that has him attending Will and Deanna's wedding on the Enterprise-E, as well as having bridge shifts... for some reason. Guessing old times' sake.

3. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Just another reason to hate ST Nemesis

DS9forever likes this.
  4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nemesis could have done what the previous movies did and just say Worf was in the right place at the right time. In this case that he was off Qo'noS to attend the wedding and joined the Enterprise either as it was to give him a lift back to his duties (via the scenic route) or since he was an ambassador now that he got to go along to take part in the diplomatic stuff that Shinzon used to lure Picard to Romulus.

Worf as an ambassador does make sense. He is Klingon and he has the ear of Martok, which can only help the Federation. I think I remember that Worf entered politics in the anti-time future in "All Good Things", so making him an ambassador at the end of DS9 might not be too far a stretch as some might believe.

5. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think Worf has the proper temperment to be an ambassador. Personally, I'm glad they got rid of that idea although an explanation would have been nice.

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. I can imagine Ambassador Worf sulking ar every diplomat he meets and telling them: "You have no honor!" :klingon: :rommie:

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

In 2379, Prime Minister Kinchawn of the independent world of Tezwa threatened war with the Klingon Empire. Worf was asked by Koll Azernal, the chief of staff to Federation President Min Zife, to make an appeal to Martok allowing the USS Enterprise to make a diplomatic attempt at negotiations before the Klingons attacked the less-advanced world. Martok reluctantly agreed. When Kinchawn siezed the peace delegation and attacked the Enterprise and the Klingon fleet with powerful nadion-pulse cannons that the Tezwan government had been secretly supplied with by Zife and Azernal via the Orion Syndicate, over 6,000 Klingons lost their lives.

Worf was contacted shortly thereafter by Captain Picard. Picard had been ordered by the President to bring Tezwa under Federation jurisdiction and to prevent the Klingon invasion at any cost (the true origin of the cannons remaining a secret). Picard asked Worf to provide him with the command codes for the Klingon fleet, knowledge that would allow Picard to remotely disable the Klingon fleet and save the lives of billions of Tezwans without even firing a single shot.

With the clandestine assistance of Commander Vasily Zeitsev of Section 31 (whom Worf believed to be an agent of Starfleet Intelligence), Worf managed to get the information he needed after attacking Klingon Councillor Kopek, anonymously blackmailing him into giving him the password necessary to acquire the command codes. Picard was successful in his attempt to bring Tezwa under Federation control and there wasn't any evidence to link Worf to the deed. However, his involvement was suspected by most on the Council and Worf made many enemies that day, including Kopek.

A month after the Tezwa incident, the Federation Embassy on Qo'noS was seized by terrorists who demanded that Martok step down as Chancellor and the treaty with the Federation be terminated. The terrorist leader, a Klingon named Rov, also made the odd claim that Emperor Kahless had been replaced by a hologram. Worf eventually re-took the embassy from the terrorists.

Two weeks later, Worf discovered that Rov's claim of the Emperor being replaced by a hologram was actually true. When Worf returned to Earth to get the Federation's assurance that they had nothing to do with Kahless' disappearance, he left his son Alexander with his embassy duties.

After the recovery of the Emperor and the election of new Federation President Nanietta Bacco, Worf tendered his resignation as Federation Ambassador to Qo'noS. Worf had done his duty for years and decided that he wanted to return to where he had been truly fulfilled- Starfleet. Impressed with the diplomatic skills shown by his son, Worf suggested that Alexander succeed him as Ambassador. President Bacco accepted the nomination.

Upon his return to the fleet, Admiral William Ross offered Worf the position of First Officer on the USS Titan, under Captain William T. Riker. Worf initially accepted the assignment and was traveling with Riker and Deanna Troi to Betazed to attend their wedding there aboard the Enterprise, (he was also serving as acting chief of security/tactical officer as Christine Vale had taken shore leave on Earth), but after the death of Commander Data in battle with Reman warlord Shinzon, Captain Picard requested Worf remain aboard the Enterprise and Worf accepted, serving as acting first officer.

From Memory Beta.

8. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't there a deleted scene or a line from the original script where Worf just said something like "politics is not for me"?

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Pretty much.

"I was not cut out for the life of a diplomat." was what it was I believe.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Sounds like there was a sex scandal and he had to get the f*ck off the Klingon homeworld.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More like the Federation Council never confirmed him as an ambassador to Kronos because he's Martok's freakin' relative. Can you imagine our amabassdor to China being Hu Jintao's adopted son?

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only reason I could see the Feds agreeing to giving Worf the job is because they wanted more Klingon bigwigs dead through Worf's hand...

Really, while Admiral Ross seemed sympathetic to the idea of making Worf the ambassador, it's not as if the matter hinged on his decision or anything. For all we know, the UFP civilian government saw Ross' endorsement as a big minus for Worf, as they didn't want to give this new Eisenhower a powerful lapdog in politics - not for free, anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really. Being the first officer on a starship and an ambassador to a foreign state are both full-time jobs. It would be impossible to in both positions simultaneously for many reasons, not the least of which would be that the ship might have an order to go away from Qo'noS at a time when the Federation needs Worf there.

A person couldn't serve as first officer of an aircraft carrier while simultaneously serving as United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom in real life. The same applies to the Star Trek Universe.

14. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ambassador job was just an excuse for Targ hunting.

15. ProStar

ProStar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is my personal theroy

Worf was STILL a Ambasodor for Starfleet the only way I can think of (He was taking time off from his job i.e holiday) even they are allowed time off to go to friends wedding celebrations. Worf wouldn't just sit and do nothing. Worf must also have a dupty to take care of things while he was away. Martock would allow him because he viewed him like a son. He simply got caught up with the events that unfolded. I beleive that Picard would have someone like like a young and up and coming officer like Riker for Picard to mould

16. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

That was about it.......

They should have left it in as it only took mere seconds of screen time and fans care about these little things---maybe more than we should.

17. Sci

Worf can't be an ambassador for Starfleet. Starfleet is not a government and cannot exchange ambassadors.

Worf had been the Ambassador of the United Federation of Planets to the Klingon Empire. Meaning, the ambassador appointed by the Federation to represent them to the Klingon government. But he was no more the Starfleet Ambassador to the Klingon Empire than Christopher Hill in real life is the United States Army Ambassador to Iraq.

Chancellor Martok would not have any say in whether or not Worf took a leave of absence, because Ambassador Worf would not have worked for him. The Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire works for the Federation government, not the Klingon government; he or she would have to seek permission from the Federation government, not the Klingon government.

The problem with this idea is that NEM features the Enterprise in spacedock weeks later, being repaired, and it is clearly Worf that we hear over the comm system summoning Captain Picard to the bridge. Logically, Worf must have stayed aboard the Enterprise -- which means that logically, Worf must have left the Federation Diplomatic Corps and returned to Starfleet.

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sci, you're interested in the (putative) mechanisms of Federation government--do you figure ambassadors have to be confirmed by the Fed Council, like our Senate does, or can the President just appoint willy-nilly? I'd suspect the Federation has at least as many checks and balances as the U.S. government, if not more.

Though, I'd be amazed if the Grazerite would even consider Worf. Besides the extreme, EXTREME conflict of interest he would have regarding his duties to the Federation and to his new House, he has little actual diplomatic experience, unless killing the head of government of an allied nation while serving as a representative of your country's military counts as diplomacy. Of course, viz. the Klingon Empire, maybe it does.

19. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

I agree entirely.

Hell, take it a step further - in addition to being Martok's adopted kid, he's also (albeit rather nominally) the ex-Klingon Chancellor in his own right. And hand-picked Martok as his replacement (or Gowron's replacement, if you want to overlook Worf's two minutes of Chancellorship).

I can't conceive of a way that it would seem like a good idea for the Feds. For Martok, certainly, but not for them.

20. Sci

Hmm. An interesting question. The novel A Time for War, A Time for Peace had a subplot wherein it was mentioned that when a new President takes office, all currently-serving Federation ambassadors tender their resignations so as to give the President the choice of retaining them or finding new ambassadors as the President sees fit. I don't remember a reference to the Council needing to ratify an ambassador or not.

My inclination would be to conjecture that the Council ratifies ambassadorial appointments to foreign states but not Ambassador-at-Large appointments, but that's just my guess.

I do know that the novels depict ambassadors as being members of the Federation Diplomatic Corps (which was mentioned in Star Trek: Insurrection), which seems to be a division of the Federation Department of the Exterior (the Federation's equivalent to the U.S. State Dept. or a foreign ministry).

Actually, the DS9 episode "Extreme Measures" refers to Jaresh-Inyo as being a former President by the time of DS9 Season Seven (2375). The novel A Time to Kill by David Mack and the eBook Enterprises of Great Pitch and Motion by Keith R.A. DeCandido establish that DS9 Season Four, 2372, was an election year, and that shortly after "Homefront"/"Paradise Lost," Jaresh-Inyo lost the election to then-Federation Councillor Min Zife, a Bolian who ran on a platform of increased militancy in anticipation of the Dominion War. Zife assumed office in early 2373 (DS9 Season Five) and resigned in 2379, just before Star Trek: Nemesis (as per the novels A Time to Heal by Mack and A Time for War, A Time for Peace by DeCandido), succeeded after a special election by Governor Nanietta Bacco of Cestus III.

Well, the first thing I would point out is that Worf has never sided with the Klingon Empire over the Federation, nor, with the exception of one incident (saving Jadzia, his wife, over a Cardassian defector), has he ever done anything to undermine the Federation. Probably the ultimate test of his loyalty to the Federation came in 2372 ("The Way of the Warrior" [DS9]), where Worf sided with the Federation over the Klingon Empire after the Empire sought to invade the Cardassian Union to overthrow the Detapa Council.

It's a potential conflict of interest, but it's also a potential source of leverage for the Federation for a couple of reasons. One, his relationship with Martok means that the Chancellor is more likely to listen to him and to trust him than he would any other Federate. This increases Worf's ability to influence Martok. Two, it also makes Martok inherently more likely to feel, and/or to enact policies, favorable to the Federation, helping to solidify an alliance that both sides need in the wake of the war. Three, Martok literally owes his job to Worf; that means that Worf has some bargaining power over him. Four, Worf has a better understanding of Klingon culture than damn near anyone else in the Federation.

He has little formal diplomatic experience in terms of holding a political office, but in terms of solid experience, he's one of the most influential political actors in Klingon politics. He entered politics as far back as 2365 (TNG S2), when he allowed himself to be discommendated by the Klingon High Council to preserve Klingon unity. From there, he participated in the post-K'mpec succession crisis, supporting Gowron over House Duras and helping to save the Empire (and therefore the Federation) from having a Romulan puppet government on Qo'noS. His actions led to the installation of the Klingon Emperor, Kahless II, and to the exposure of the Changeling impersonating Martok. He then saved Martok and restored him to the Defense Force, led Klingon forces numerous times during the war, and overthrew Gowron and installed Martok. In other words, Worf has been either personally or partially responsible for the last two Chancellors' ascensions to power and for the installation of the Emperor himself.

The guy's got some experience, 'kay? ;)

Of course it does. These are Klingons we're talking about. ;)

Actually, that would probably be more akin to the U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom being Gordon Brown's adopted brother. (And, yes, the relationship between Martok and Worf is more brother-brother than father-son.) The Klingon Empire is the Federation's partner and ally, and apparently its closest such; it's a much less adversarial relationship than that which exists between the U.S. and People's Republic of China.

Actually, one could very easily turn it around and spin it another way:

From a Klingon nationalist's POV, the whole thing makes Martok look much more like he's Worf's -- and by extension, the Federation's -- puppet than the other way around. I mean, seriously. Gowron gets his job because Worf and Starfleet ally against the House of Duras during the Klingon Civil War. Then Worf puts the Emperor into office. Then Worf sides with the Federation when the Klingons decide to save the Alpha Quadrant by overthrowing what they believe to be a Dominion puppet government on Cardassia -- and then, after the Federation finally starts fighting the Cardassians/Dominion, the minute Worf and Starfleet get unhappy with Gowron's policies, they overthrow him and install Martok.

Really, in a lot of ways, Martok has much more to lose from Worf being Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire than the other way around. It's going to make a lot of folks in the First City wonder if Martok isn't in essence a Federation puppet chancellor rather than his own man.

Bottom line: The Federation government obviously believes that Worf is trustworthy enough that they feel he will not compromise his loyalty to the Federation if it comes down to a choice between Martok and the Federation. And they recognize the advantages that Worf's appointment will give them. Frankly, I think they're right.