What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Sal'ira, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Sal'ira

Sal'ira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This question has been bothering me for quite some time. I want to know what the voices not in my head think of my question. An Andorian/Vulcan child? What do you think it would look like? Would it have antennae? Would its blood be blue or green? Blue or greenish skin? What species would have the dominant genes? What do you think?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Kristie Alley?

3. Sal'ira

Sal'ira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Kristie Alley? She played Saavik, who was Vulcan/Romulan.

4. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

To answer your question, We haven't seen any Andorian Hybrids, bar the offshot race encountered in the ENT season 4 arc (cannot remember the name of them), while its possible that Andorians and Vulcans are genetically compatible, it would seem unlikely given the fact that only Romulans and Humans (which are very closely related to Vulcans) are the only second race we've seen to date in Vulcan Hybrids

Elizabeth (T'Pol/Trip) - Vulcan/Human
    Spock (Sarek/Amanda) - Vulcan/Human
    Saavik (Unknown/Unknown) - Vulcan/Romulan (Unsure of Canon but the general assumption is that Saavik is a Vulcan/Romulan Hybrid)

To Speculate: I'd imagine that an Andorian/Vulcan hybrid would be dominant Andorian, for instance, they would have blue skin (and judging from Spock's blood) the Vulcan "Green Blood" would be dominant, they would also likely have the Andorian Antennae (but perhaps shorter) and of course the Vulcan ears, depending on the circumstances of the Hybrids upbringing, they would either be logical (a'la Spock) or similar to Shran (but perhaps more passionate since Vulcan emotions are said to be much more intense than Human and even some Klingon emotions)

5. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

Use your imagination because that is the only place it would happen. Hybrids between species which evolved separately over billions of years on different planets is probably the greatest scientific absurdity we see on Star Trek so forget trying to piece together what one would look like. Make it what ever you would like because one version will be as absurd as any other. It's pure fantasy.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't your grandmother ever tell you?

"Blue and green should never be seen."

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I'd probably design them with pointed ears, thick but smooth white hair, light blue skin, pointed eyebrows, and antennae. I suppose the blood would be teal.

Considering that Vulcans and Romulans are the same species, that's a meaningless phrase, "Vulcan-Romulan hybrid." They've only been separate gene pools for two thousand years; that's not enough for speciation to take place.

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Sounds very stylish.
    It's something like a wolf-dog mix on Earth. Wolves and domestic dogs are biologically the same species, so crossbreeding them is technically not hybridization.
    Party pooper. :thumbdown:

9. StarryEyed

I regret any attenuation of your festivities as a result of my presentation of facts. :vulcan:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i doubt the Andorians and Vulcans would be biologically compatible even in Trekverse, since they're blood chemistry is so different.

11. STIntergalactic

STIntergalactic Captain Captain

The species was the Aenar. And actually, that race did provide us with our only Andorian hybrid, in the form of Talla, who was an Aenar/Andorian hybrid. Although, it's been speculated that Andorians on TNG were also of this same hybrid species, because they looked more similar to Talla than normal Andorians.

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In the VOY episode where Torres fixes a robotic soldier (can't remember the name of the episode), she goes to the EMH for help with the problem and he mentions about how a Vulcan and a Bolian couldn't transfuse blood without killing the patient.

It might be the same for Vulcans and Andorians, though a Bolian-Andorian hybrid may be more likely.

As for the point about interspecies breeding being absurd, I do agree that it is a little far-fetched that humans and species just happen to share enough genetic similarity to produce healthy children. This could go back to the fact that all humanoids came from a single species (a TNG episode whose name I can't remember either). Or when Jadzia and Worf were planning a family (just before she was murdered by Dukat), she had to undergo ovarian-resequencing therapy in order to conceive.

Just a few thoughts.

-Bry

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Andorians and Bolians have (what should be) yellow, cobalt-based blood while Vulcan have green (should be verdigris) copper-based blood. Fan fiction also has andorians requiring 4 genders to procreate and have completely different circulatory systems.

I too loathe Trek's decision to use half-breeds as often as they did. Spock was an anomaly (how can a mother with iron-based blood keep a foetus with copper-based blood alive) but I could accept him as a one-off because it was the sixties, he was useful as an allegory, and the nature of the Vulcan psyche led to some interesting confilcts (although later writers managed to tell the same stories perfectly well with full-blooded Vulcans). Saavik is fine as both species have a common genetic history.

Deanna - dreadful. Kheylar - awful. Sela - pulease. Naomi Wildman - drown at birth. Active genetic engineering would be needed to produce these hybrids. But hang on - the Federation has banned genetic engineering... :wtf:

I think writers often used it as an excuse to avoid making their aliens too alien or (e.g. in the case of Deanna) as a way of limiting an inconvenient racial trait. Of course I view that as one of the show's flaws. If you don't want your aliens to be alien, then don't use aliens in the first place.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There is nothing wrong with hybrid aliens and I think it's great that Trek has shown that kind of diversity among its non-Human characters. The overwhelming majority of races in the Star Trek Universe are humanoid--and that includes Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, etc.,--so compatibility issues should be few and far between, with most probably overcome through science, IMO.

With an Andorian-Vulcan child, I think it's an issue of which genetic traits would be the most dominant. With Spock, his Vulcan half dominated his physical appearance, so he looked like a full-blooded Vulcan to the majority of Humans (maybe only Vulcans could see a slight difference). Something similar might be the case for a Andorian-Vulcan hybrid in which the child would resemble more one species than the other.

I'm more inclined to think that a Andorian-Vulcan may just look like an Andorian, but with pointed ears myself...

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm thinking they'd look like Suzie Plakston. ;)

16. Pauln6

Apes are humanoid, iron-blooded, and evolved on the same planet as us with a common genetic ancestor and yet (thankfully) we can't 'interbreed' without some major genetic engineering. I don't have a major issue with hybrids, I have an issue with 'accidental' hybrids i.e. the notion that there is ANY possibility than alien species would automatically be compatible and the 'prissy' way Trek approaches genetic engineering, which would be a fact of life by the 23rd century. I also have an issue with the frequency with which hybrids are used in Trek. B5 dealt with hybrids in a much more sensible way.

I think many evolved species would need genetic engineering to weed out bad genes that would traditionally have been eradicated by natural selection otherwise your species would gradually devolve over time to the point where everyone needs medical treatment just to stay alive (such as the increase in allergies we see today). From that perspective a Vulcan/Andorian hybrid could look like anything you want because you'd have to design it in a lab!

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think in the Star Trek Universe, most humanoid species are compatible. Some more than others, some less. I think real difficulties occur between humanoid and non-humanoid species (like the Horta, Species 8472, and other life-forms that aren't even remotely humanoid in shape or genetic structure (say, non carbon-based)).
    I don't have any issues with the way hybrids come about or their frequency in Trek.
    :cool:

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking back at the comment I made earlier I realised that it sounds like I don't like hybrids. That isn't true. I was simply trying to think of ways to explain them in Trek. As for the die hard science lovers out there who say its impossible, this in in a universe where we can travel faster than light and where a device can disassemble a person send them through a stream of energy and reassemble them in less than 10 seconds.

The "fi" part of sci-fi is there for a reason :)

-Bry

19. Pauln6

Heh - but I like my Fi to have some internal logic. They worked quite hard to give warp drive and transporters a great deal of in-universe science to explain them (even if they keep accidentally contradicting themselves on the fine print). Inter-species breeding is very poorly thought out compared to that.

The fact that humanoid life forms are a massive genetic experiment by Trek's own 'First Ones' was a nice step in the right direction but it just doesn't go far enough to explain how beings with vastly differing genes and wholly different blood chemistry can interbreed naturally.

20. StarryEyed

Dude, you're speaking about a subject you obviously know absolutely nothing about. That is never a good idea. If you have no problem with impossible creatures on Star Trek, that's fine but don't try to argue that they are actually believable. Hybrids are flat-out impossible outside of being genetically engineered and grown in a lab. That is not an opinion.