What to do with Khan? (and other thoughts)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by dswynne1, Apr 13, 2015.

1. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Assuming the movies will still be based on the NuTrek-verse, what should be done with Khan? Just keep him on ice permanently? bTW, it's too bad that Khan in STiD was really Khan, and not Joachim who proclaimed himself as Khan, thinking that Noonian Singh was murdered by Adm. Marcus (and after credits scene would have fixed all this, with the camera panning from a slipping Khan to a tube with the name "Singh, Noonian" stenciled on it, before fading to black.

Personally, I think having NuKhan would have worked if the set-up was better (i.e. have a villain in the second NuTrek film, maybe Captain Garth of Izar, before it is revealed that the head of Section 31 was the real Khan Noonian Singh, who managed to take over S31, and is slowly subverting the Federation from the inside out) This would explain the more militarized look of Starfleet. But, I digress...

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'd bet god money Khan will stay frozen indefinitely, and we won't see him at all in the next film.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why does anything have to be done with Khan?

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Agreed. I took the final Khan scene as a subtle reference to the "top men" scene from Indiana Jones.

They CAN do more but it's a good closing touch.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

So would I. Clearly he's been kept alive so they can bring him back if needed, but I can't see that happening for ST3.

6. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

The way STID has been criticised (remake of II, white Khan, worst movie poll, Orci backlash etc) I doubt the studio would want to bring him back. Ever.

Complete with 1967 Montalban

7. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except STID wasn't really criticised. That's the sort of comment that inspires people to pull out the Rotten Tomatoes audience/critics scores. A majority of the audience and critics liked it, and a majority of that majority liked Cumberbatch. What you're referring to is simply a loud minority that most of the audience wouldn't even be aware of.

I also read somewhere that there was a suggestion that he might have been responsible for the increased international take. I'm kinda doubtful about that, but who knows?

Though I do doubt Cumberbatch will be coming back anytime soon for anything more than a cameo. He seems to be a busy boy these days, with Doctor Strange and all.

8. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Between all the Khan knockoffs followed by reboot Khan, I've gotten pretty thoroughly sick of the character. I wouldn't mind if he never appears or is even mentioned again.

9. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Remake of II? Bullshit. Other than having a couple of "guest" characters in common, there was really nothing in common between STID and ST:TWoK storywise.

White Khan? Lotsa ties between India and England, with plenty of Indian upper-class males getting Oxford educated, meeting nice Brit girls while at school, followed by marriage and cranking out a lots of offspring who are pretty darn Cumberbatchy. There's nowhere near the sort of relationship between India and Mexico, so far less likelihood of Indian royalty producing many offspring who are even remotely Montalbaesque. It would have been nice to use an actual Indian in the role, but barring that, an Englishman is far superior a choice for the character than a Hispanic.

Worst Movie Ever Poll?
    [​IMG]

Orci backlash? The vast bulk of the audience wasn't aware of it, and it affected their acceptance and enjoyment of the film, and the box office take, not one iota.

Doubt the studio would want to bring him back, ever? Who, Khan or Orci? 'Cause I don't see anything about the former that would give the studio cause to not revisit the character, and if ya mean Orci... well, the studio keeps sending plenty of work his way, so the idea of "not bringing him back" is something of a misnomer from the get-go, innit?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Joachim was a complete pussy. If he had half the backbone of Khanberbatch, he'd have crushed Montelkhan's skull and taken over when ordered to follow Kirk into the nebula in WoK.

As for Khan, I'd love to see him thawed and raise more hell:techman:

11. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like the fact that Khan and his followers were kept alive and can be brought back to be an even bigger threat when the producers need to do a MASSIVE BLOWOUT type movie to compete with something like ULTIMATE AVENGERS, JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS, FURIOUSLY FAST FINALE, IMPOSSIBLE MISSION etc...

in the other thoughts category of this thread I have to wonder if they'll mention Nimoy's passing (or rather, Spock Prime's passing) Part of me kind of hopes they will (Certainly they would add a "For Leonard,1939-2015") When Leonard died I watched SFS again and when Sarek told Kirk that leaving one's Katra with a friend was the Vulcan way when death was near, I started thinking. so who would Spock Prime leave his Katra with?
    nuSpock? Unlikely, Spock Prime's Katra would undoubtably include his memories and as he said in ST ID he's all about NuSpock finding his path on his own.
    More likely I think he would leave it with nuSarek who is still very much alive at this point.
    and who would have the wisdom to give his son advice when needed without flat out telling him everything Spock Prime ever did (he could even claim only "flashes" of Spock Prime's life had passed through him but without leaving permanent details of everything intact.)

Now, assuming that the NuCrew re-experiences many of the adventures of their Prime counterparts it is possible that in encountering the Guardian of Forever that they could record and review the Classic timeline. For instance, when the Guardian says "Behold...." and shows history, instead of showing images from earth's history it could show images from the Classic Trek timeline
    Kind of like the teaser trailer for The Undiscovered Country

12. Smellmet

Let's hope these movies carry on long enough for this to happen. I fear this next one will be the last, unless it does silly box office numbers like $700million+ worldwide, which I can't see.

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm kind of curious if Old Spock mentioned anything about depositing Khan on any planet OTHER THAN Ceti Alpha V. That could've saved Kirk and co. from future headaches. Or feelings of deja vu :p

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They keep chugging along around $500 million and doing good money on home distribution, they'll keep making them.

15. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Keep him in the freezer.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This question wouldn't be asked if nuKhan went the way of all the other Trek cinematic villains (oddly enough, like Khan Prime).

Kruge, Sybok, Chang, Soren, the Duras Sisters, the Borg Queen, Dougherty, Ruafo, Shinzon, Nero, and Marcus were all killed. I'm not saying nuKhan should have lived or died, but his survival among humanoid primary antagonists is an anomaly to be sure.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It'd save even more headaches if they deposited Khan's bunch on Ceti Alpha VI...

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, in this timeline that will happen, but Ceti Alpha V will mysteriously explode.

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An act of mercy which, I have no doubt, will come back to haunt those making the decision to spare him.

I just hope that story is delegated to the comix or novels.
    I liked ID, am happy it was a success and made way for another chapter but it's finished now, I hope we can move on.

Originality should be the keepers of the canon priority now, imo.

20. Smellmet

As much as I enjoyed Cumberbatch in STID, and despite secretly wanting to see him again as Khan, it would be difficult for him to return without the movie seeming like a retread of Into Darkness.