Spoilers What the 32nd century Should look like.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by valkyrie013, Feb 24, 2022.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Been seeing a lot if taking in various threads about the general disposition of the 32nd century, and how it has been a somewhat if a let down.
    Some examples:
    Technology isn't as far advanced as it could be, I.e. still using photon / quantum torpedoes.
    Still using regular warp drive.
    Etc.
    Basically, to me if you said it was set in the 26th century, I'd believe it.

So your thoughts? Not to just ships, but society at large as well.

Deledrius likes this.
  2. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Personally my biggest issue with the 32nd century is how cold, blue and unwelcoming Starfleet HQ is. It worked well when we didn't know if we could trust them, but now it's just kind of offputting. To me anyway.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

It's fine to me.

We've encountered races (including certain UFP members) who had been warp capable for over a thousand years, and they don't have the technology anywhere near what we saw in the 32nd Century Starfleet. Are they supposed to be godlike or what?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  4. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

No, just a lot more advanced than shown.
    Dilithium and M/AM should have been binned centuries ago and replaced with new energy sources such as Kriega Waves, Tetryon reactors, Thermionic generators, etc. (Disco writers could have then said that UFP managed to eventually combine properties of all those which lead to nex generation in power generators (hybrid and otherwise) - because even by the 32nd century, those power sources probably wouldn't be in use... aka, they might be in use for the first 100 years, or maybe even 200 (and appropriately advanced in efficiency and power output), and then new power sources would be invented that would take their place.

The UFP was headed towards a Type III civilization status on Kardashev scale... and given the technology we saw in the 24th century, humanity already had everything they needed to become a Type II civilization before NX-01's launch even.

There is also no tangible use of Transwarp beaming for example.
    Faster than Warp technology was introduced many times by the late 24th century... to think nothing ever came out of it is just plain ridiculous because SF demonstrated it can use computers to analyze and come up with solutions in proverbial seconds or minutes... sometimes hours. It's not a stretch to think that any issues VOY or other ships may have had in using those technologies at the first encounter would have been resolved in less than 10 years (exponentialy developments and returns for one thing and SF would have a particular interest in those technologies).

By the 32nd century, I was expecting to see UFP become extragalactic (spreading to most nearby Dwarf galaxies and also Andromeda - at the very least to help with the radiation problem there).

Had Disco S3 been placed into the mid/late 25th century... they'd be able to get away with the type of setting that was shown... but what we actually got is a far cry from what could have been.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

The Burn stagnated progress and reverted tech to perhaps hundreds of years in the past?

7. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A lot more ‘post-human’.
    Cyborgs and implanted tech.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd give you the last 200 years as being stagnant. Pre burn then post burn not much happening. Maybe some loss but not that much.
    But then take into account time travel. And Dr. Who yard is ships.
    I was expecting organic living ships with bio reactors.
    Transphasic torpedoes. Artificial wormholes
    Space elevators.
    Somethin akin to the Yorktown station in beyond as fed headquarters, not some small rinky dink thing we were given.
    I guess I expected more Grand

Deks likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

People keep mentioning this, but I just don't see it.
    The UFP was reduced from 350 member worlds at its peak to just 38.
    That's 38 member planets that had their technology, databases and resources INTACT.
    This wouldn't have caused stagnation. It would have slowed things down yes, but if anything, SF and UFP would have been using adaptive algorithms for R&D. The HQ itself had over 12 ships stationed in the cloaking shield/field... they could have all been networked together and instructed the computers to keep researching new science and technology (those are more than supercomputers for crying out loud with FTL processing capabilities).

Computers like that can do research in a fraction of the time (a day or a few) that would take humans many trillions (or quadrillions and quintillions?) of times longer to do... that's just the HQ... not counting the remaining planets.

Stagantion would have occurred if every single trace of UFP database was somehow erased... and that's virtually impossible to do without completely eradicating every single piece of UFP database in existence (which is spread across a good chunk of the galaxy - aka, each member planet, every ship, every outpost would have the UFP database at its disposal) and no UFP ships were left in existence (let alone the HQ).

And they have programmable matter to boot (though to be fair, transporters and replicators can do the same).

We saw that UFP databases survived the Burn just fine. So, stagnation would not have happened... at least nothing like you suggest.

At the very least, what we saw that UFP (and most species) were using ships and technology that existed just before the Burn happened.
    And subspace effects of technology have apparently been discarded by writers completely... suggesting that UFP technology reverted to PRE-24th century status and was BARELY more advanced than the 23rd century.

Here's what I say to that: 'utter nonsense.' :-)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    lawman, Nyotarules and Fateor like this.
  10. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was disappointing cause it wasn't that different from the 24th or 29th centuries

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Star Trek is disappointing then.

Jay Kid of Wonders likes this.
  12. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Well they were doing well in the Next Generation era, but then Enterprise happened...

13. fireproof78

I found TNG very disappointing.

14. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Using warp drive in the 31st century is definitely unrealistic, just like using wheels in the 21st is. We've had them for thousands of years, where's my flying car?

Agony_Boothb and nicholasm like this.
  15. fireproof78

My mom is still angry.

16. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Admiral vance shoukd have just been oded fehr's head in a jar

17. fireproof78

Then we wouldn't have gotten his uniform.

Ronald Held and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  18. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe he could have had a hat like General Ndoye.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We should be technologically-assisted proto-Q. Teleport across the galaxy (transwarp beaming) with our commbages (Disco S3), getting our age and any illnesses reset with each and every teleport (unnatural selection et al). With further software patches on the badges we can beam to alternate universes or other times (DS9), become children again (rascals), raise a clone army (tng, lower decks)

What would it mean to be human in such a future? It would be more like Altered Carbon or Doctor Who (where EVERYONE is a Time Lord) than Star Trek. But it's something I'd LOVE to see explored.

Also I see why they DIDN'T do it, because they wanted more recognisable Star Trek with a few extra bells and whistles. So they used a century of temporal wars followed by Burn to explain lack of progress. Meh.

20. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You do realize the Federation built their technology on the backs of those other race's technology?

And that they have encountered dozen's of "alternate to warp" technologies in their time?

Heck, we know the Federation had working Proto-Warp technology by the 25th century... So what happened to that?