What shall I do with leftover parts?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Forbin, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever shall I do with the leftover Delta wings from the Moebius Fantastic Voyager after I made a shuttle out of its hull?

Maybe something like THIS?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I. Can't. Stop. Bashing.

:)

2. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate that design with a passion (McQuarrie was horrible fit for Trek) but I'm nonetheless impressed by your 'bashing skill and I look forward--as always--to the finished product.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yeah. Crappy design, but dead-on bash.

4. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting, though--it's not really McQuarrie's design. Rather, it's McQuarrie/Jeffries by way of Probert as realized by Payne. Can't wait to see it develop...

5. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For some strange reason I feel incredibly attracted to your design...

[​IMG]

Nice work, John! :D

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

:lol: indeed.

Though I think I like Forbin's take on the secondary hull bow better than the original design.

7. Forbin

Exactly!

Aridas, I do indeed have a printout of the Ariel for reference - that was your design? - but I'm doing more of an interpretation of that AND McQuarrie's together, based on what scrap parts I have, than daring (bothering?) to copy it exactly.

If that makes sense.

:)

8. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always LOVED the Ariel class shuttlecarrier design... in large part because it (1) realized the McQuarrie design in a way that actually made SENSE, and (2) because it feels very much part of the (tmp-era) Trek universe without reusing all the standard components.

Just FYI, for the less observant out there, that primary hull is NOT the same as the one on the Enterprise. It's SIGNIFICANTLY larger in diameter, has different curves, etc... yet it's clearly in the same fleet.

Back when Aridas did this, it was one of the very first post-TOS-era designs that weren't just the standard saucer and nacelles stuck to a different secondary hull (or no secondary hull)... pure kitbashing (no offense, Forbin! ;) )

The Ariel was all-new, and as such, it was really exciting to me. There had been some fannish non-saucer designs from the TOS era, but nothing like this before.

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I think Cary is right:

Didn't the Ariel class use a TMP-style saucer of a type larger than Kirk's refit Enterprise? The saucer in these images seems a little small.

10. Cary L. Brown

The one in Aridas' pictures is the right size and shape. Aridas told me about that once upon a time... can't remember who built it, but it was done entirely based upon Aridas' drawings... from solid wood, wasn't it?

11. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

If you ever did, your head would explode.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Maybe your kit bashing chip is malfunctioning and fusing to your neural net as we speak! :eek:

Seriously though, it is very cool stuff even if I never liked the design. Seeing all your work really makes me want to start modeling again. If only all my stuff wasn't in storage! :o

13. Forbin

Like I said, I'm interpreting it using existing parts, I don't want to have to create all-new parts. Kitbashing, not scratchbuilding. I'm using Starcrafts' 1/1400 Refit saucer and nacelles, and the wings of a Fantastic Voyager kit. however they fit is what I git. :)

14. Forbin

Actually that's pure scratchbuilding, 'cause it doesn't use any kit parts. :)

15. Cary L. Brown

Nah, I meant that most OTHER ships of the time were kitbashing... and that this one wasn't, therefore I was particularly attracted to it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. :)

16. Forbin

That's okay, I'm rarely very clear also. Either. Whatever.

Except when I talk to women at work, and they tell me I'm completely transparent.

17. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how this model shapes up. I agree with others that the original design is a bad fit for Trek, but I'm sure your rendition of it will be kickass. :) Plus, that's a very cool and creative use of those wings.

18. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Forbin, I thought you might want to see this caption contest entry I did over in the Trek Movie forum.

19. Forbin

:lol: Nifty!

20. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work there I like it :D
    :bolian: :bolian: :bolian: :bolian: :bolian: