What Other Sci-Fi Boards Do You Visit ?

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Hermiod, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I've looked at Gateworld which seems to be packed with negativity, fangirl squeeing and 'shippers. They've actually got a thread on there challenging anyone to come up with a good reason why Atlantis shouldn't be cancelled.

Television Without Pity seems to be full of angry women who are jealous of every female character they see. I think I've only seen Juliette from Lost and Sydney Bristow ever get cut any slack.

The Sci-Fi Channel's board looks like Iraq on a bad day.

I'd love somewhere where I could talk about Stargate and Star Trek without it being purely about ratings, "needing a break", what the actors look like and fan made deck plans.

So, what other Sci-Fi boards do you visit ?

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

This is the only board I really participate in. I like this place, most others just seem so much more trouble then they're worth.
    I'm with you on the ratings/needing a break stuff. While I don't enjoy SGA as much as I used to I don't begrudge anyone else liking it. But what exactly do you want to talk about? There seems to be plenty of other threads besides those things.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really do wish this board would kind of split off somehow. I mean you have fantasy, Scifi, Comic, and things bordering on comics, fantasy, and scifi and it just makes this forum one of the busiest places to come on the BBS. If there is any forum that needed subforums, this one would be it. It might make things seem less caotic even though I try to come and post in this forum on occasion. Kinda hard when I'm really not into comics that much and you can only talk Farscape so much before it gets really old.

4. Bob The Skutter

What's wrong with posting your own threads, and subscribing to ones you like? That way you know about any new posts, and can keep on top of discussions you want to be part of.

5. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

TrekBBS was my first messageboard and online home. I've tried a number of others, in addition to TrekBBS, over the years, such as Subspace Comms Network, SisterTrek, StarTrekVoyager.com, Outpost Galifrey, Galactica Station, and others. The TrekBBS has always been the best place on the net to talk scifi, in my opinion. Other places are either too big, like TheForce.net, not busy enough, or don't offer enough. TrekBBS is juuust right, now with new upgrade and sports forum!

*Looks for check in the mail*

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does the subscribing feature make things more organized. I've only done it with forums, but not with threads. Also, I'm fine with the discussions, but when you come back after maybe a few hours and it's already a page and a half of new stuff, I just think the forum is a bit too big.

Starfleet Engineer,

You were at Sistertrek? Was it the same handle or something different. I ask because I was too, but kind of left when I realized that it was either a political flame war, or there were posters who reminded me too much of Enterpriser by circumnavigating the rules and spamming up a storm.

7. Bob The Skutter

It just puts your subscribed threads in your CP, and only the threads with new posts show up. So now my CP is bookmarked, and the first thing I see is the active threads I posted in.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm looking for alternatives to TrekBBS. With a couple of exceptions the Star Trek part of this board is okay, the DS9 mods run a tight ship (or station) especially, since it's gradually narrowed down to people who actually like Star Trek (except for Star Trek XI) but the Gen Sci-Fi part of the board isn't to my taste any more.

Others may not enjoy it, but there isn't enough comics discussion for me here either. Two (Secret Invasion and Final Crisis) massive comic book events are going on right now and they're barely being talked about. I've already brought back my Secret Invasion thread from the dead once and it's died again. I do not want to sound like I'm telling people what they should and should discuss and enjoy, IDIC and all that folks, I'm just looking to see if anyone can suggest somewhere for people like me.

9. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I use to post on Got-Heroes, but something happened with my account, something is screwed with it. Sometimes lurk there.

Registered on OG forums, but only posted once or twice. Lurk around a few transformers boards too.

Avoid Sci-Fi forums like I avoid Canterbury Bulldogs fans.

But here is the best place.

10. Bob The Skutter

Sorry, that post was in reply to tomalok.

I don't know about any one else, but any comics I read are TPBs, because I only know of one comic book shop in the city, and I can't be bothered to go to the other side of the city to buy them, plus it works out cheaper to get the TPBs.
    Sorry to say, I don't know of any other good boards.

11. Starfleet Engineer

I probably posted a handful of times there, but mostly lurked. I did use the same username. There didn't seem to be much going on when I would go there. If I remember correctly, some forums, like TOS, were dead and there had been no new posts for days.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Sorry, my mistake.

As I said, I don't expect everyone here to want to discuss comics or Stargate or anything else just to suit me. Comics are not exactly a cheap form of entertainment any more. I spend £10-20 a week on them.

13. Starfleet Engineer

Hermiod, have you tried SuperHeroHype's boards?

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I did have a quick look. It's a bit fanboyish in there for my tastes.

15. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

This is the only place I really feel at home. I used to post over on the USA message boards for The Dead Zone and The 4400, but only one time for each show, there were way too many giddy, squealing fans for me to have a good time over there.

This place is a perfect fit for me.

16. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only this one.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Which really doesn't fit the "other" part of the description, does it ? :)

18. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I've looked at a number of other boards and joined a couple, but this remains the only one that's ever really grabbed and kept my attention. The SciFi forums (one for every SF show that ever existed, apparently) are little more than a haven for people who only want to sing the praises of [show], while I doubt Outpost Gallifrey (or whatever we're supposed to call it these days) would be to Hermiod's taste. So I can't suggest anything.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The name Outpost Gallifrey sounds like a Doctor Who board to me which is the last thing I'm looking for. Considering I run in to an angry mob every time I suggest that Doctor Who might not be the best show on television here, I don't think hanging around on a dedicated Doctor Who board is the best idea.

20. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

Ghostbusterfans.com.