What nations & languages are represented here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Dec 7, 2019.

1. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Within the diverse federation of Trek fans, what nations & languages are represented here on the board?

I'm from the United States, obviously English is my first language, but I'm also conversational in Portuguese, Spanish and Turkish, with lesser amounts of Arabic, French and a few others. (I lived overseas for a few years, and I'm also active in my city's immigrant/refugee population.)

Thanks in advance for sharing!
    :beer:

Markonian, Kilana2 and antinoos like this.
  2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

United States, and I speak authentic frontier gibberish.

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm from Canada, and speak English.

Since we're an officially bilingual country, I had to take French in public school, and I liked it enough that I continued it in high school. Unfortunately, through general disuse, I only remember the rudimentary basics. Although I can read it much better than I can speak it or understand it when others speak it.

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Same here (though I also took French in college). Add in a little Swedish (after much nagging of my grandfather to teach me so I could at least get the gist of the cards and letters he and my grandmother got for birthday/Christmas from their Swedish relatives).

I am fluent in lolspeak and have a hat that says, "I Can Has Cheezburger?".

But most importantly, I am also reasonably fluent in real catspeak. That comes in handy when trying to figure out if my cat wants food or just a cuddle (she doesn't usually say no to both).

5. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Canadian, English-speaking with 6 months of Spanish classes crammed into my brain from six years ago.

6. antinoos

antinoos Commander Red Shirt

I'm Greek, I speak modern Greek, I can read but rarely understand ancient Greek and French, I can read, write and can somewhat communicate in Italian.
    English is the only foreign language that I'm comfortable with.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm English and I speak...English.

As a nation we're terrible at other's languages and arrogant enough to assume we don't need to learn them as 'Everyone speaks English !'.

I studied French at school, and did O.K., but not having used it in about forty years doubt I retain much.

8. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm Dutch, I speak standard Dutch and a Dutch dialect called "Twents" I'm fluent in English and German, writing the latter not so much though.. rusty rusty..:biggrin:

9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm German, joined by fellow Trek BBS members like @rhubarbodendron, @Jinn and @StefanM (I'm sure there are more Germans here and I'm glad that someone has finally started a thread like this).

Had English in school. I understand some French and Italian words, but I can't speak French and Italian. The French pronounciation is too difficult for me :D. But I'm sure France is also represented here.....

10. LAFR

LAFR Commander Red Shirt

11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I speak fair Spanish, but to be honest I'm not really fluent.

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I am Dutch and speaking standard Dutch and a littlebit ''Achterhoeks plat''.
    A littlebit English and German, I haven't spoken German in 20 years and English in about 10 years

13. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

That's awesome. I know a fair amount of Koine Greek, but there are definitely vast differences. (2,000 years is a looooong time!)

antinoos likes this.
  14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And yet here you are conversing in English !

USS Firefly likes this.
  15. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

100% Glaswegian
    I have a limited Spanish vocabulary which just about gets me by when I go on my frequent visits there.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Native English speaker, born and raised in SoCal. Picked up a smattering of Hebrew in Israel. Took Spanish in high school but have forgotten most of it. I can have a conversation in Spanish with two people named Pablo and Luisa if one of them is well and the other has a cold.

And if they don't, they should! :nyah:

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I'm in the United States. I speak English and Texan.

thestrangequark likes this.
  18. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Pretty much the same here... Texas (USA) and speak English and "Texan" (more southeastern though - Texas is big enough for multiple dialects).

Also had some German in high school but, no practice in using it despite the large German descended population in central Texas (Fredricksburg, Pflugerville etc...).

19. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally some Space Patrol here! (The name and avatar are from the 1966 Bavarian Sci-Fi show with interesting parallels to Star Trek, she was the security intelligence officer of the fast cruiser Orion - intro with English subtitles below)

I'm also from Germany, now in SoCal, speak German and English, some remaining high school French, and some Klingon just for fun :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    StarCruiser and Kilana2 like this.
  20. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

US born, naturalized Dutch. I speak English and Dutch fluently.

Studied Spanish in high school and college and *almost* made it to being able to actually have a conversation, but then the classes ended and it all fell apart.

I've also dabbled semi-seriously in trying to learn Danish and German. I do a fair job reading in german, but composing my own sentences is beyond my capability. And I know some of the local dialect (Helmonds).