What is the strongest ship in the Federation fleet in the Dominion War

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by kgartm1185, Aug 2, 2013.

?

Strongest ship in the Federation fleet during the Dominion War

Poll closed Jun 6, 2020.
  1. Galaxy Class

77.4%
  2. Defiant Class

16.1%
  3. Akira Class

3.2%
  4. Excelsior Class

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Steamrunner Class

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Norway Class

3.2%
  1. kgartm1185

kgartm1185 Lieutenant Red Shirt

What is the strongest ship in the Federation fleet during the Dominion war excluding the Sovereign and Prometheus class starships? There has never been enough evidence to show which is truly the strongest on screen.

2. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: What is the strongest ship in the Federation fleet in the Dominion

I would go with the Galaxy. It's debatable weather or not it's more powerful than the Sovereign. From what I have read the Galaxy was refit for war, & ship with a lifespan of over 100 years should be able to adapt to new technologies.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm going with a Galaxy class prepped for war at the time of the Dominion war. It was the Federation's mainstay capital ship at the time.

A Galaxy class as seen in Encounter at Farpoint, however, could possibly have its ass handed to it by a Defiant class.

Obviously Excelsiors were old at the time, and were basically ships to help fill out the fleet but not overly powerful, compared to newer ships. As far as Akira, Steamrunner and Norway classes, not enough screen time to be able to tell how powerful they were, but the last two were likely derived from the Defiant class, based on their looks.

4. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

In terms of pure power output it is probably the Galaxy. Bigger size, more volume, need more power.

Combat effectiveness, probably the Sovereign. Shape makes it more manuverable and presents a lower target profile.

I think from DS9 we are supposed to take away that the Galaxies are the real backbone of the combat force and that there are very few Sovereigns in service, maybe as few as one or two.

Power to size ratio, probably the Defiants.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Doesn't the Enterprise E count? It was dealing with the Son'a.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...But possibly only after the war.

The Galaxy is, funnily enough, the only Starfleet ship apart from the Defiant or the Danube classes to actually have actually destroyed an enemy vessel on screen. The rest had impressive ways of dying on screen, but whenever they fired at enemy units, we got at most a stock fireball over the impact point and that was that...

Klingons chopped Dominion ships to pieces just fine, though. But only with their BoPs...

Timo Saloniemi

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

And that went well :)

I've voted for the Galaxy class, hopefully we see more Federation ships destroy Dominion ships when DS9 comes out on BR.

8. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ship with the plot shield - the Defiant.
    As per on-screen performance, all other starfleet ships were quite proficient at blowing up. Not so much at defeating dominion ships.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Defiant still blew up.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Hardly accurate as the Defiant was destroyed. Exemplary reasoning as always.

--Sran

11. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only to be 'resurrected' immediately - identical ship, crew with no losses.

PS:
    Sran, you remain, as always, a troll.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Everything except each series' individual hero ship is the equivalent of a redshirt.

13. kgartm1185

Actually, that wasn't the same ship. It was the Sao Paulo. And personally I don't get why Sisko wanted another Defiant class ship. I'd be ashamed if I got one of those. I'd rather get an Excelsior, Akira, Galaxy, or Nebula class.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The problem I had with them destroying Defiant and then bringing her right back is it was just a shock moment for the writing staff to throw in there. I suspect they were trying to re-create that effect on the audience as when the Odyssey was dive-bombed by the Jem'Hadar. When the preview for that first appeared in syndication, everyone thought it was the Enterprise.

But obviously they only got a similar class ship so that the production didn't have to build an entirely new bridge set before wrapping up the series.

15. kgartm1185

Oh, okay.

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Prometheus Class!

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No evidence the thing actually fought in the war. It's anti-theft system certainly needed some work. ;)

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ indeed. That is a shame though. Just like their is no concrete evidence Sovereign classes fought. Would it have been so hard to have flexed some cash to make digital models of those ships for Dominion Campaigns?

I voted Galaxy though.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes, I felt exactly the same way. I remember feeling very shocked when the Defiant was destroyed. Then I immediately felt cheated of that shock a few eps later when they got a new one. But that was nothing compared to the irritation I felt when they ended up using stock footage of a previous battle for the finale, which was when I realized that that was why the "new" Defiant was the same as the old one.

I think the only similar instance that irritated me more was when the Delta Flyer was blown into itty-bitty bits in a season finale, only to be shown to be "rebuilt" exactly as before an episode later. That was even more of a cheap cop-out than the Defiant was.

As for the OP, I don't think any ship was more powerful than another, just more technically advanced.

20. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it would have been nice if they had gotten some other kind of ship. The Defiant went out in pretty spectacular fashion and it was a shocking turn of events. Then they turn around and replace it with the same exact ship.

19-year-old me wrote a rather fanboyish alternate version of WYLB in which the new ship was an evolved/perfected version of the Defiant class named Saratoga and Sisko made a rear admiral. I even started on a season 8, with the core characters Kira/Ezri/Bashir/Nog and Benteen from Paradise Lost as the full-time captain of the Defiant.