What is the odd food in "Journey to Babel"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by GMDreia, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

What is the odd-shaped, brightly colored food in "Journey to Babel"... the shapes that come in bright colors?

I'm thinking, if I ever have a "geek party", I'll use melon and food coloring :)

2. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a Lucky Charms thread already going in Miscellaneous. :rolleyes:

:p

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I always thought they were just painted marshmallows ... Hhmm, I'd like one of these ...

4. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

If I remember right, I think I read an article saying that it was food-color-dyed tofu. Because one of the extras was joking that everyone would be eating tofu (gag) in the 23rd century. :eek:

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

it's Soylent Green!
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!!

6. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

It wasn't just "Journey To Babel"; the Day-Glo food cubes show up in several episodes, including "By Any Other Name", and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?", where they're being served in some kind of gravy.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I've always theorized they're a compromise food of sorts...synthetic, brightly-hued cubes of artificial food protein that you could program the food synthesizers/resequencers aboard the ship to taste like whatever you prefer. That way if you are a vegetarian but don't like the salads and greens on the ready menu you can program the food cubes to taste like whichever vegan dish you like.

8. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

In the episode "The Corbomite Maneuver" when Kirk sees the First Federation bouy: I'm hungry, you hungry Mr. Spock?

Spock: Yes, suddenly I'm hungry too.

Robert

9. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't the Fisher-Price-colored food squares be fancy candy? Ever see some of the crazier shapes and colors of Choxie?

10. blakbyrd

blakbyrd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I was thinking. Either that, or Jell-O. :guffaw:

11. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

Soylent Green is Tellarites!!

12. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

The attendees will take their protractors from their pocket protectors and measure the precise angles of your geekiness.

Can I come over?

Joe, green cube

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The mirror crew in IAMD Part II ate that kind of food on the Defiant.

Apparently nobody can COOK in the 23rd century. What other explanation could there be for eating crap like that? :eek:

I mean... Would it have killed the props department to whip up a plate of real, recognizable food for maybe one smegging scene? :rolleyes:

14. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

^ TOS had a really tiny budget so no real food....

However IAMD could have used real food with their larger budget, but then you'd have folks screaming about continuity, canon and a bunch of other things....

I always thought that the colored cubes were some kind of soy product based from Kirk's lines in Charlie X about the thanksgiving meal on board the Enterprise....

- W -
    * But that's just me *

15. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

but there were chicken sandwiches..
    who knows the ship could have been featuring the food of a delegation each night.
    ;)

16. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like salads, or like chicken sandwiches and coffee?

By the way: I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and guess that just maybe with three hundred years more history behind us and contact with a thousand worlds that what is considered regular food and what is considered fine dining will have evolved slightly.

For example, if you were to go to the colonists at Plymouth in Massachusetts Bay in the mid-17th century, you could very well shock them by eating with this new-fangled concept technology of a fork, or something as bizarre and alien as a sandwich.

And finally, they're trying to show this scene is set in the future. How better to do that in a method not requiring exposition or optical effects than to include things which from context are obviously ordinary food but which aren't easily identifiable?

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Well, we know they're indisputable canon now since Mirror Universe Phlox was seen eating some aboard the USS Defiant on ENTERPRISE, and they looked exactly the same as the old late '60s set props. So we still need to come up with a halfway definitive definition for them.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Sandwiches actually weren't anything new then, Montagu the Earl notwithstanding, but you're right -- the fork wouldn't catch on with ordinary people for another 100 years yet, at least not English-speaking ones.

Ahh, now you're trying to make sense. That won't work with Baba -- it only makes him angrier. Best just to give it a miss.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even the occasional TV dinner would have worked. :p

That one scene in "Journey to Babel" gets a free pass, since there were lots of aliens there. Some of that could have been alien food, I suppose.

Normally, OTOH, Spock is the only alien crewmember on the ship, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to make the food look that weird. (Vulcans are vegetarians anyway.)

You have no idea... :borg:

20. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

Re: What is the odd food in "Journey to Babel"?

I have the impression now that the odd food was gristhera - an Andorian hors d'ouevre -
    it's in Memory Beta or Memory Alpha I think, look that up.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.