What if the aliens were just polite but didn't bother about us?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I didn't know where to post this so putting it here. If it has to move kind mod people you can move this.

What if aliens were in our solar system studying the other planets and then they meet our planet and find us. They don't come with any motive or any kind of agenda they just are there and are practical in their nature.

They are here to study the solar system and they find Earth but they don't make any demands of us, they don't even try to go out of their way to make friends but they do visit. Instead they act in a very practical way say hello then fly off back to wherever they are going to go next.

Would that be a different kind of encounter to have and would that impact on us much? They don't even bother to land or stake out a place here. They say hi and leave.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Teasers?
    https://sites.google.com/site/h2g2theguide/Index/t/437664

3. Gingerbread Demon

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, not like Teasers.

Wouldn't they just cloak themselves from our view (as In Star Trek Insurrection) to try to avoid perturbing the "experiment"?

5. Gingerbread Demon

It would depend. I just had this thought of aliens popping by saying hello and having a chat via radio or video and then bugging out to their next assignment. So maybe they have no formal rules as to what to do in terms of contact.

I'm thinking if they set up more permanent digs in our solar system say to mine stuff they then might make more formal introductions.

I mean we'd be literally able to observe them as they work so it wasn't like they have to hide.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

As Enrico Fermi said "Where are they?"

7. Gingerbread Demon

Ooh.

8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe like star trek, theres this big "Federation" out there, and they have a policy of non interference in non space faring systems. Maybe when we reach certain plateaus like a nuclear bomb, they take notice, and keep an eye on us to make sure we don't blow ourselves up.. or if they see that we would be bad for the universe.. like.. well right now.. I mean who would want humanity in there federation?? we suck@

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

But if there is such a thing I wonder what we need to do to gain their attention or entry into their federation?

For the Vulcans it was warp travel that made them reach out to new worlds but why was warp travel their gold standard?

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These aliens would soon be troubled with a pernicious SETI programme. Imagine that ... the hounding they'd get. Signal after signal. Then, as in the movie CONTACT, the National Security Council would soon take SETI over, whilst the world sorted through all of The Internet Click Bait on the matter. As to what lasting effect it would have on society, I wouldn't care to hazard a guess.

11. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We are quarantined and kept behind the veil. :hugegrin:

think likes this.
  12. Gingerbread Demon

I thought you meant a wall, a glorious yuge galactic wall

13. think

think About it! Premium Member

It’s the idea of linear time that is the status quo Making it so annoying to us aliens, time is illusion and what earthlings measure time,..

14. 2takesfrakes

There's something to ponder! Aliens controlling the region our Solar System is in might be deflecting signals so that we don't find ourselves stepping into a hornet's nest by drawing attention to ourselves, here. It would certainly answer a few things for SETI.

15. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

intelligent life, if it exists out there, could mostly form in under-ice oceans on worlds that never got magnetic field to allow surface life to thrive, and without developing combustion, those species would never have developed the technological series of events culminating in spaceflight. We'll never find them.
    Maybe surface dwelling life, like ourselves, that has even made it this far, is exceedingly rare in the universe.

16. Riker'sMailbox

Riker'sMailbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If aliens were advanced enough to get here from interstellar distances, surely they would have scanning equipment that was sensitive enough to detect life in a start system.

But, maybe if they were on like an interstellar road trip, where they were not researching and more just taking each star system and planet as it comes. I could road tripping aliens just stop by to say 'hi, pretty planet, gotta go'.

XCV330 likes this.
  17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

another possibility is that any species that manages to be peaceful enough not to destroy itself and explores the cosmos is at least open to the idea of trade and ethical enough not to just take it, a la colonialism.

We don't have any stuff they want, apparently.

18. 2takesfrakes

We may well have The Stuff they want. Earth isn't the only depot in the Solar System, though. Jupiter's bounty could easily be secretly harvested in secret. Venus could be heavily mined, at this moment ... we don't know!

19. Gingerbread Demon

Actually we would know if Venus atmosphere changes drastically we would have some idea something was going on.

As long as it wasn't blue glowy stuff and corporations don't think "hey we can totally control this stuff" OOPS!!!!!

20. 2takesfrakes

I was curious, actually, why Venus isn't made a fuss over the way Mars typically is. I mean, after all, it IS our sister planet and ... and so forth. But it turns out that terraforming it would take vast resources and the budgetary implications would be most ... prohibitive: