What If: Kirk didn't die on Viridian 3?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How do you think things would have panned out for him.

Spock, Scotty, Mccoy we know were still around. He may have known people on the Bozeman. So he wouldn't have been alone.

Just an interesting thing to ponder imo.

2. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably McCoy, even though while still alive, really isn't in any shape to serve as a Doctor on a new Enterprise mission ...

3. Infern0

No but scotty and spock probably were in good enough shape to.

I was more thinking just if i woke up 70 years in the future I'd be happy to know 3 of my best friends were still around

4. at Quark's

It would be weird though. In a sense, Spock and McCoy really belong in the late 24th century (having lived all the years between, witness all gradual changes, probably changing themselves too), and Kirk and Scotty don't - they are 23rd century people exiled in the 24th century. It might change the dynamics in their group should they meet again.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shatner wrote a whole book series about it.

lawman, XCV330 and hbquikcomjamesl like this.
  6. Infern0

I read that, it was mental.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Shatnerverse novels. Kirk's surviving crew reunite and kick ass in the 24th century.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, the Shatnerverse novels are ego-stroking to the point of double-ejaculation. Kirk single-handedly kicks the TNG cast's ass, destroys the Borg homeworld, cripples the Enterprise E with an Oberth class ship, cripples another Sovereign class ship with a runabout, and that is literally the point I stopped reading.

suarezguy and Nerys Myk like this.
  9. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't mince words, Wormhole; what do you really think?

Ronald Held and Tim Thomason like this.
  10. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

So, who else survived from the 23rd in those books? We've got Scotty, Kirk and Spock, anyone else?
    ------
    I don't want to have Kirk dead, but those movies drove nearly all sentiment for those characters out of me. I know it's a matter of writing, not their fault. So I can't bring myself to ponder on what he would have done if he'd lived. More of the same, I suppose.

11. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Kirk had survived then Shatner would have petitioned the writers, directors and producers to include the good Captain in all of the following TNG movies! What an ego explosion that would have been between Picard and Kirk!!!
    JB

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

They became pirates.

jaime likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You say that like those are bad things:lol:

wayne66, lawman and Tim Thomason like this.
  14. The Wormhole

IIRC, the Shatnerverse only stuck to having the TOS characters we see on screen in the 24th century as still being alive in the 24th century, although The Return does go into the fates of all the other characters. The main Litverse continuity takes a different approach of having everyone from the TOS cast except Kirk still alive in the TNG era, including Mr. Adventure from TSFS.
    It's not much better than fan fiction, when you think about it. You basically have someone writing stories in which he inserts himself into the narrative as the single-most important person ever!

Still, he does refer to Starfleet as a military in these books, which I'm sure would cause heads to explode around here.

15. Infern0

Those books are truly nuts.

They do have an entertainment value, and I actually found the first book he wrote (the one before he goes forward in time) to be very good.

But yes it evolves into fanfic levels thereafter, you can see that Bill doesnt really "get" tng.

Its a shame he wasnt reigned in a little as its a hugely interesting premise.

jaime likes this.
  16. The Wormhole

Ashes of Eden actually is an okay novel. Nothing outstanding, but decent entertainment.

The Return is idiotic fan fiction. An alliance of Romulans and Borg resurrect Kirk strictly for the purposes of Killing Picard. After Kirk beats up the rest of the TNG cast and fights Picard to a stalemate, we somehow learn that the Borg homeworld is V'Ger's machine planet, and a combined TNG/TOS crew journey there so that Kirk can beam down, take on the entire Borg Collective and flip a switch that will destroy the Borg.

Avenger actually isn't that bad, though does suffer its fan fic moments and the murder mystery they try to set up is way too predictable.

Spectre was rather middling up to the point where Kirk uses a runabout to cripple Admiral Nechayev's Sovereign class flagship. After that I just gave up.

jaime likes this.
  17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    Kirk would've been preparing a hearty breakfast of scrambled Ktarian eggs for the mysterious Antonia, in bed, in the mornings. Then, shit shower and shave, heading out with a full day's activities planned, including riding some ball-slapping nag, or another and having it jump a crevasse, or two ...

jaime likes this.
  18. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Crazy to think Kirk, Spock and Scotty were all present in the 24th century TNG era at the same time. I exclude McCoy because I'm really not confident he was still alive 8 years after Farpoint based on his appearance and age.

19. The Wormhole

He is in the Shatnerverse and the main Litverse continuity. The Crucible novel trilogy (unattached to any novel continuity) does have him dying shortly after Farpoint.

Terok Nor likes this.
  20. at Quark's

He might have lived till Unnatural Selection though, they could have de-aged him after that ;)

Phoenix219 and Terok Nor like this.