What does it take to be a fan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by justaiesha, May 18, 2020.

1. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

I'm doing a report for uni about fandom (people's taste in tv shows e.t.c) and I'd love to know what makes you a 'true' fan and what separates you from mainstream viewers. Fast replies would be amazing coz the essay is due in 4 days :)

2. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

any answer is a good answer

3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

For me, it is a matter of developing an emotional attachment to the characters and their lives on the show. The plots serve the characters and their reactions to situations they encounter. Certain characters elicit stronger feelings and since you asked this in the Discovery forum, I am particularly drawn to Saru, Tilly and Stamets in both seasons as well as Pike and Spock in S2. Perhaps it is an ability to see oneself reflected in the characters and I see elements of all five I have listed living in my head through my 74 years of life.

I was drawn to Science Fiction as a pre-teen and have continued to enjoy that form of written and visual entertainment. The Trek universe has scratched that itch continuously and I have enjoyed every iteration yet presented. It is both informative and fun.

gblews, Turtletrekker and justaiesha like this.
  4. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

Thanks for that. It's clear that you enjoy the show because of your emotional investment and how you can personally relate to the characters. But what differentiates you, a 'true', dedicated fan, from anyone who merely enjoyed the show? Is there even a difference?

5. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

Would you argue that being a true fan is internal and how you respond to the show personally? Or is it about engaging with the show and actively showing your enthusiasm? Does it matter?

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Anyone can be a fan. All it takes is getting enjoyment out of entertainment product and wanting some more of it. You don't have to be steeped in the lore. You don't have to have seen every episode of every show or read any of the books or comics, you don't have to love everything about it (I doubt that I'll be rewatching Voyager, Enterprise or the Kelvinverse movies anytime soon), it just has to reach out and connect with you for whatever reason is personal to you.

Honestly, people who like to elevate themselves above the rest and call themselves "true fans" are gatekeepers who like to claim an ownership of the product that they don't deserve.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"Fan" is short for "fanatic". I think the difference between a fan and a viewer is the level of enthusiasm if they like it and the level of outrage if they dislike it. Someone who's just a viewer will watch the show, then move onto the next thing. A fan will watch it, talk about it, want to watch it again, will want other people's takes, will speculate, theorize, etc., etc., etc. They'll probably also buy associated merchandise. When there's a season premiere or a series premiere, it'll feel more like an EVENT in All Capitals.

I think some people confuse how much someone knows about The Franchise (Star Trek or not) with how engaged they are with what they're watching, either positively or negatively.

8. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

Btw thanks coz these are really good responses.

Lastly, I also wanted to know what you think about the reputation of fan culture in today’s world. Fan communities are becoming increasingly popular with franchises like game of thrones, marvel, Star Wars and Star Trek. People are looking at these fans less as ‘nerds’ and more as ‘cool’. Do u agree? If so, why? What do u think makes these shows tasteful to wider audiences?

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I would say there's less of a stigma today than there was in the '80s and '90s. I think the proliferation of comic book movies has helped to improve the standing of "nerd" culture as well as the explosion of different sci-fi and fantasy series over the last 30 years.

A friend and I talked about Geek Chic back in 2013 in this half-hour episode of a public-access program I used to do. Anyone else can feel free to watch it too.

justaiesha and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a fan when I wanna keep watching, wanna re-watch, and wanna buy merchandise.

For example, I enjoy things like Doctor Who, Tremors, Dragonheart, and Twilight Zone, but don't have to see all of them and can go for years without re-watching any. I also don't need any merchandise at all.

But I had to watch all Trek episodes, saw most SG-1 episodes and wanna see the rest, keep re-watching many of them, and have seen the Trek movies, the first Alien and Terminator movies, and the BTTF movies countless times. I have most of them on DVD, some twice in different sets. I had to have many starship models, prop replica toys, DeLoreans, and a uniform. I also have most of the Trek PC games, and enjoyed them even in genres I avoid, simply because they were Trek. The only soundtrack CDs I ever bought were Trek and BTTF. You could say I'm a collector :D

justaiesha and Lord Garth like this.
  11. K1productions

K1productions Commander Red Shirt

I personally do not feel there is (nor can there be) a clear definition of what a "true fan" is. In fact, I don't think there IS such a thing as a "true fan" especially when it comes to Star Trek. Star Trek by its very concept reaches far beyond any singular thing, exemplified in one of hits core philosophies "IDIC" (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations). Or as Gene Roddenberry once stated "not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms"

The thing about being accepting of differences is, it also applies to things you may not like or agree with. While this can make a rather messy muck when it pertains to ideologies (political, religious, etc), it is a bit more clear-cut when it pertains to who we accept as a fan. I don't think there is ever any call for a fan pointing to another and saying "you are not and will never be as true of a Star Trek fan as I am." To do so effectively provides a kind of exclusivity to a fanbase that is built upon the idea of inclusiveness on all levels... and that should not happen. No fan should have any right to tell another fan that they are somehow less of a fan than they are. Nor should any fan have any right to say "it means more to me than it does to you" for Star Trek sometimes means something different to everyone. And who are we to say that it is therefore more or less meaningful?

I can quantify my own Star Trek experience by saying how many episodes I have watched, which ones I enjoy, which games I have played, etc. but that alone could not define what Star Trek is in my heart. You may have only seen a couple episodes, but found deep personal meaning in those episodes that affected the rest of your life. So how could I say that just because I have seen more episodes than you, that Star Trek is more meaningful to me than it is to you? Answer, I could not, and I should not.

So, what does it take to be a fan? Simply watching Star Trek and enjoying what you see. That should be more than enough to allow you to be welcomed into the fandom with open arms. ... it SHOULD be. If only it worked out that way

12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Appreciating the greatness of Orville as the one true Trek means you have made it.:) Well that and the minute you buy your first blue ray boxset or merch then your in. Also when you will watch a episode even though you don't like it your in. Or you will get excited over any new news your in. First Head Canon attempt once again more example if inning, Posting on a Star Trek message board is very much as a example of being all in!

Jason

justaiesha likes this.
  13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I was initiated into Fandom I was expected to slash my palm open with the ceremonial d'ktagh. I think these days there's just a verbal oath one must speak.

justaiesha and Jayson1 like this.
  14. Jayson1

It's true. Your not even required to dress up in a Trek costume and go to a convention anymore. The standards have really been lowered.

Jason

justaiesha likes this.
  15. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

Funny you should say that because I can post in a message board rn and I haven’t ever watched a single episode of Star Trek ever. And I’ve bought a Star Wars light saber without ever watching Star Wars. These are just examples. There are loads of people who buy merchandise and follow the aesthetic but not value the actual content. So what would they be classed as? Would you say they are a fan because they’re still taking part? Or are they “fake”? ...

16. justaiesha

justaiesha Ensign Newbie

I feel like a journalist

17. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

These are just arbitrary terms. You get people who like a certain thing more than another thing is as simple as it needs to be. There are no "true fans" of Star Trek, any more than there are "false fans".

Some people like Star Trek. Some like it very much. Others are indifferent to it. Others hate it.

It's no more complex than that.

18. Jayson1

collectors or hobbyist! People do love merch and collecting things. Fans but a different kind of fans.

Jason

justaiesha likes this.
  19. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

There are even people here who are just a fan of one actor who happens to be in Star Trek and whose entire focus is therefore just one Trek character. :D

Mutai Sho-Rin and justaiesha like this.
  20. K1productions

K1productions Commander Red Shirt

Dressing up has never been a requirement. In fact, I prefer when cosplay is limited. Rather than everyone dressing up in simple stuff just to fit in, I'd rather see just those who put thought, effort, and care into their cosplay. Doesn't have to be expensive, some can make awesome stuff rather cheaply, but then I also saw someone who did painstakingly detailed recreations of the Field Jacket and Engineering Jumpsuit from Wrath of Khan, and they cost about $500 each to make. I was in awe of the craftsmanship.

Qonundrum likes this.