What do you think of the Destiny?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Brent, Oct 3, 2009.

?

The Destiny

1. Yay

61 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. Nay

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yay or Nay?

Personally, I'm going for Yay right now. I kinda like it. At the beginning of the episode tonight they showed it coming in from a distance, and it looked very stealthy and slick. It is certainly a lot bigger than I thought it would be, seems like a lot of room to explore inside it. I also so hints of ancient Ancient design in it, like the design found on other ancient devices we have seen in the milky way galaxy from millions of years ago. Also, it appears the ship has a form of AI, it was able to know they were in trouble when he told them and found a planet and dialed it!

Apparently this ship is not the gate seeder ship, those ships (and there were several of them) were sent out ahead of this ship. I hope we get to see one, I want to see a Stargate manufactured and put on a planet.

I hope they lock down WHEN it was sent out though. From reading, it is supposed to be millions of years old. But in the episode they indicated thousands or hundreds of thousands of years. I hope this is just them guessing, and they will reveal more about it later.

2. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

I think it's pretty good. It seems like a LOT more work was put into the design and the sets than the cobbled together Ancient warships from Atlantis, which were frankly boring designs. It does feel as if they're on a spaceship. It may also be working precisely because this Ancient ship, while advanced, is old enough so that it's only a little bit ahead of human technology (Stargate humans, with their own alien-derived spaceships). So, they're not trying to think up something that should be 10,000 years more sophisticated than present day human science.

I actually get a rather The Black Hole vibe from the ship, and IMHO that is a very good model to emulate! The megaship in The Black Hole really created a sense of vast, creepy isolation in the void that few sci-fi movies or tv shows have ever equaled. With the apparently increased CGI effects budget, I hope they can show some massive spaces inside the ship and outside it, and have some lonely EVA scenes. In my view, the show would be smart to go with the angle of portraying the humans on the ship as tiny and lost inside a hostile void; but rather than take the BSG route of neurotically focusing on smelly sweaty people crammed together in tin cans, go the opposite route. I want to see some serious agoraphobia and rapture of the deep.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Looked too Earth human like, but otherwise it's nice.

I don't like the gate room through, rather boring but that awesome room with the windows is very very nice. :)

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I noticed they are now calling it simply "FTL" since it isn't hyperspace. I wonder about the specs on it now, like how fast it can go, what kind of FTL is it. Apparently it can travel pretty fast to get that far out there.

5. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

Actually, bear in mind that the ship has been out there for 100,000 (?) years. It might actually be an inferior, early form of FTL that "only" travels a few times faster than light. Over that span of time, a slower ship could have gotten that far, I figure.

Based on the visual effects (including the effect inside the ship when they dropped out of FTL) I wonder if it's the Stargate universe equivalent of warp drive, where a space bubble is being formed and squeezed before and behind the ship, thus there is somewhat of a red shift and stretching effect on visible light.

Potentially there's plot fodder here. For instance, it might be possible for an object (like a shuttle) to detach from Destiny while it's in FTL and transition to normal space once falls behind the "warp bubble" rather than being lost in hyperspace. By the same turn, it might be possible to more directly tract the Destiny while it's in FTL if you have the right technology or even intercept it before it comes out of FTL.

Also, just to throw it out there: if they ever gain some degree of control over Destiny, I'm going to say that a major plot that comes up will be Earth pestering them to try and catch a gate seeder ship that's somewhere ahead of them, because actually getting hands on a ship that manufactures Stargates would literally be the golden goose.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

^ you know what, I am thinking it may be inferior, and you know what, it makes me think of the original Goa'uld FTL we saw at the end of SG-1 Season 1 when they gated aboard the Goa'uld ship and it entered FTL, if you recall, it had a similar shift in light that was noticable on board, plus, it was slow, only a few times the speed of light Teal'c said, this was before the Goa'uld somehow got Hyperspace speeds... So... maybe THIS form of FTL the Destiny uses is the same type of FTL the Goa'uld originally stole from Ancient technology!

7. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I was thinking the same, that this is an older form of FTL tech. Not sure if the numbers work though - if it visited multiple galaxies, it would have be be trucking a lot faster than a few multiples of c, even if it has been traveling for 10,000 years.

As for the design, I dig it. Appropriately fiddly, a nice recognizable shape, and much more interesting looking than I imagined. It does look a little earth-like on the outside, in terms of design, but I chalk that up to its age; it comes from a different era of Ancient civilization, who's to say what the aesthetic of that era was like?

Anybody notice what appeared to be a sizable secondary vessel on the topside? It's visible on the dorsal side in the opening shot. At first I thought it was one of the shuttles, but it's shaped differently, and definitely seems larger. (thoughts of the Captain's Yacht spring to mind.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

They mentioned at least hundreds of thousands of years old. I hope they narrow it down and find an answer, initial description was it was supposed to be millions of years old.

9. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to Nay it, but it was close.

It looks like an oil tanker. I know that it's supposed to be old, but if these are the Ancients that are so advanced with holo screens and floating MALP's, why does the ship look like they scavenged a dump for parts?

10. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bad production designers.

All Ancient ships are fugly

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it. It was different, but pretty cool. I like how they introduced it in the opening shot.

12. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

It has enough energy for repeated and continuous FTL travel, but not enough for an atmospheric containment field?

The Thors Hammer shape of the craft is intruiging.

13. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Commander Red Shirt

pssst (whishpers )Canadian guy! Thats the whole point. This ship was delibrartly designed to look old and clunky. Compared to other ancient ships which were designed to look sleek and streamlined.

14. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

We don't know how long it has been holding that containment field for though, and we also have no idea what powers the ship and what kind of FTL it is, how fast it moves, and the power drain on sheilds/FTL. So, I wouldn't call that an issue just yet until we learn more facts.

15. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I believe that the Destiny is using an advanced Alcubierre Drive, which is essentially Warp Drive as we know it from Star Trek. Very slow compared to Hyperdrive, but still FTL.

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I liked that too. It sort of reminded me of the Draconian Battleship from the 70's Buck Rogers or something in that opening scene, but it was so much creepier.

17. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So why would the life support systems have to engaged, long enough to fail, if the ship was sent out unmanned?

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Who knows, and who is to say they are the first to have been on the ship... I mean, there is so much unknown about it all right now, we don't know if life support was ON the entire time, or if it JUST came on for the first time ever, or what the state of the power core is, or anything

19. FrankR

FrankR Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

(I might have the travel time to Pegasus wrong; this is from memory)

Destiny is definitely slower than hyperspace. The Pegasis galaxy is about 2.7 million LY away and I think they said it takes a week; that's 385,714 LY per day.

In the dialog of AIR they said they are "Several Billion" light years from home. assume several = 2; then to travel 2 billion LY in 100,000 years they'd need to average 20,000C; that is about 56 light years a day.

Oh; and I voted Yay.

-frank

20. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like a giant "Pilgrim Cross", only without the Kilrathi.