What Do We Want to Use as Our Abbreviation for Kelvin Timeline Novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Apr 16, 2020.

?

Choose your favourite abbreviation for the Kelvin Timeline novels:

Poll closed Apr 23, 2020.
  1. ALT

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. AOS

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. JJV

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. KEL

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. KLV

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  6. KT

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. KT-TOS

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. KTL

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hi all,

As mentioned in the review thread for The Unsettling Stars, we should probably have a consistent abbreviation for the review threads for the Kelvin Timeline novels. I thought I'd just throw this into a poll to see which choice is the most liked by the readers of this forum.

Our choices are:

ALT - ALTernate Reality - Originally chosen by Sho in 2013, before "Kelvin Timeline" was coined (presumably based on the nomenclature used by MA)
    AOS - Alternate Original Series - suggested by @King Daniel Beyond ; used in fanfic
    JJV - JJVerse - suggested by @thribs
    KEL - KELvin Timeline - suggested by @Sci
    KLV - KeLVin Timeline - suggested by @Christopher
    KT - Kelvin Timeline - my original choice before discovering we already had a precedent
    KT-TOS - Kelvin Timeline - The Original Series - my original alternate choice

Added:

KTL - Kelvin TimeLine - suggested by @Daddy Todd

Suggestions that weren't included (sorry): "Abramsverse", "Kelvin", and "Kelvin Timeline", because they aren't really abbreviations.

I'll set the poll open for a week, just so it's not open-ended.

---

My personal take is that I like KT, but I also really like KEL if we wanted a three-letter version. (Sorry, KLV, but I'm one of those who prefer VOY over VGR and DIS over DSC.) But we've also had a few two-letter abbreviations already, eg - LE (Lost Era), MU (Mirror Universe), NF (New Frontier), TF (The Fall), and TP (Typhon Pact).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    King Daniel Beyond likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for me but I see KEL winning. Makes sense but I just never liked that name.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted for KLV. I had originally wanted to go with KT, but I think KLV fits in with the rest of the three letter abbreviations better.

4. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, I’m used to AOS as my standard abbreviation, even if I use “Kelvinverse” or similar as long form.

King Daniel Beyond likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My issue with "Alternate Original Series" is that Star Trek: The Original Series is the heading used for Prime TOS novels since 2013, presumably to differentiate them from Kelvin books, which are merely titled Star Trek. After all, since it's a remake, it's by definition not the original series, even if it has the same characters and setting.

ryan123450 likes this.
  6. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

I like the look of ALT or KLV. I voted for KLV.

7. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

None of the above. I’ve been using KTL for Kelvin TimeLine. I like that one.

8. Avro Arrow

OK, added to poll.

The "allow people to change their votes" option is on, so if anyone who has already voted wants to move their vote to a new option, they can.

9. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

None of the above. You left out my suggestion of Kelvin which I would vote for. And if you do add that in, I suggest starting the voting over as some may way want to switch votes.

10. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

As someone who disregards the official CBS designations of "VGR" and "DSC" in favour of "VOY" and "DIS", I support the suggestion of "KEL" as a simple shortening of "Kelvin Timeline".

Sci, Tosk and Avro Arrow like this.
  11. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

KLV makes the most sense to me. Unfortunately, every time I see AOS, I wonder why people are talking about Agents of SHIELD on a Star Trek forum.

Masiral and DEWLine like this.
  12. Christopher

Oh, good point. That one's already taken.

DEWLine and AJ Hawker like this.
  13. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Every other short form regards the naming of each novel series is three letters long, so one with double that won't get any traction at all.

I'm happy either way, I thought the short forms were introduced for an independent database and easier navigation of it.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  14. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

KLV or AOS

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I like KT. KEL loses because it's too easily pronounceable as a word. My second choice, if we absolutely need three letters for consistency, would be AOS, because of the precedent (though, to be fair, while I see it used commonly on Twitter and Tumblr, it seems virtually unheard of here on the TBBS).

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're discussing an abbreviation, and that's not an abbreviation, that's the actual complete title. All of the series going back to The Original Series have had a three or two letter abbreviation, so we're trying to decide what that should be for the Kelvin Timeline material.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  17. Christopher

When have they ever had a two-letter abbreviation? The convention is three. (And "ST" doesn't count, since we're talking about the subtitle that defines what flavor of ST it is.)

18. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For Lit-only series, I've seen NF used for New Frontier.

19. Avro Arrow

Well, as I alluded to in the OP, it's not really an abbreviation if you just write the word out in its entirety.

As mentioned, the option to change votes is on, so anyone can change their vote up until the poll closes. No need to reset the votes and force people who wouldn't want to change their vote to vote again anyway.

To be fair, duplicate abbreviations for different things exist all over the place. What some other franchise does shouldn't really matter for our purposes.

... just like TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY, ENT, DIS and PIC! :lol: In my mind, that's a feature, not a bug! ;)

I had never heard of it before @King Daniel Beyond's post the other day. I guess I don't spend enough time on Twitter or Tumblr. (Or just the right amount of time, depending on one's point of view.)

For television/streaming series, none (so far). But if we're talking lit series, I listed out the two-letter abbreviations we have previously used in the OP.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I prefer this one.