What do people on these boards think of the Cube movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I'd love to know because there's people here that like many, many different things, and different kinds of stories, and ways of storytelling.

What do people here think of the Cube movies?

I've seen them all but ended up dismissing all the ones that came after the very first one because to me they kind of went places I didn't want to go and I liked the mystery of the first movie and how it is left up to the viewer to form their own conclusions as to the who and what of everything.

This particular movie in fact.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/reference

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it good enough. Nice psychological horror, with some CGI gore.
    Also Ezri Dax is in it.

I vaguely remember watching the second one and haven’t seen later ones.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It had Ezri Dax and Rodney McKay in it.

I watched the first one and I really enjoyed it. It was clever and I enjoyed the development of both the protagonist and Hewlett's character. I have not seen the sequels and have zero interest in them.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought there were more sequels actually. It's alright, I think the concept is evocative in that high-concept way which gives the idea a certain appeal over other run-of-the-mill horror.

There's a Japanese re***** (fill in your preferred word) movie coming out soon.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13975458

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked #1 , rest were kind of meh. But thats kind of like the final destination movies.. Ends up just seeing how they die in creative ways.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were enjoyable schlock.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I really like the first one but I found the sequel to be lackluster and the prequel even more so.

Some movies are better off left alone.

Funnily enough, Vincenzo Natali also directed the Tremors reboot attempt (the one with Kevin Bacon coming back) which is another franchise that rode too long on the strength of the original.

8. Gingerbread Demon

I agree with this. I watched both of the other two cube movies and really didn't see the need for them. The original was the best and the mystery of who built it and why is best left to the imagination. I didn't want all that spoilt and in the two other movies they kind of spoil that.

The Japanese one doesn't look like anything new is added to it.

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious about the new Cube re****. I wouldn't say I'm excited, but I'll check it out if the reviews are decent. I'll keep an open mind.

10. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the first one maybe 6 years back? Not sure if I ever saw any more. I liked it. Was definitely intrigued by the larger story.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Tremors reboot? Was that Shrieker Island? Is it bad?

12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I liked the first one and parts of the second, the third one was pretty good too.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I loved the first one (and not just because of Nicole deBoer) although I wasn't thrilled by the horror elements at the time. I might be more open to that part nowadays, especially since the movie leaned more into the mysteries and the mathematical complexities than the sheer shock factor.

I was largely indifferent to the other two films to the point that I don't remember anything about them.

14. Gingerbread Demon

I don't remember any of the other two films except that the middle one went a bit OTT with the second cube being a tesserect of some kind. The third movie tried to be some kind of prequel.

15. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the first one. I think I've seen the second one as well but I don't remember much of it. The first one really impressed me tho. Interesting concept.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the first one as a teenager. I realize now just how awful the acting is, though. I didn't care much for the prequel or sequel. This Japanese remake sounds great.