What do Jedi ghost do when they aren't interacting with the living?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a afterlife in "Star Wars?" If so howcome they get to come back and even if it is to help people why would they allowed to show up at a party just to check things out in "Jedi.?" Also why does Anakin get to be young looking again but the others still have to be old?

Jason

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

My assumption would be that upon death, living creatures join with the Force. Certain Jedi and other force wielders have already attuned themselves and forged a link to the Force and so manage to preserve their personality in some form during that transition.

Anakin looks like Sebastian Shaw in my copy of RotJ so I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.

Jedman67, The Nth Doctor and Kor like this.
  3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Anakin looks the way he did right before he turned to the dark side. This doesn't apply to the others because they didn't turn to the dark side. As to the question of Anakin "getting" to be young looking, I should think the Force ghosts are supposed to represent enlightenment as opposed to shallowness and vanity.

4. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Can'take wait to see what Hayden Christensen looks like at 45 so we can see how far off Jedi was.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

They hang out in the Star Wars subforum.

Jedman67, Leviathan, EmoBorg and 3 others like this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amen.

Kor

Jedman67 likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They perv on people, hence not being allowed into the afterlife.

Gaith likes this.
  9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Partying aaaall night long!

Jedman67 likes this.
  10. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Anakin's Force ghost should have been played by David Prowse or James Earl Jones.

I suppose we should be thankful that Lucas didn't reshoot the mask removal scene in ROTJ with Christensen

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Jedman67 likes this.
  11. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

They'll wait until Christensen is 45 or so then do that.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

IIRC, they did digitally put Christensen's eyes on Shaw. Though I may not be up on the latest tampering with those films.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

He looked the same way after he turned, so that would not explain the appearance.

14. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Netflix and chill. :D

Jedman67 and Turtletrekker like this.
  15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in the original version he'd aged pretty badly then. Anakin was only 44 in Return of the Jedi. I'd be a bit peeved off with the Force when it made me look like the 77 year old Sebastian Shaw.

16. Set Harth

I thought they just removed the eyebrows or something.

Good one!

Actually, it would.

According to the traditional assumptions regarding time elapsed between the films, he would have been 45 ( or 46 if we assume he had just turned 20 in AOTC ).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  17. P Tom

P Tom Commander Red Shirt

[From ESB] Han Solo: "Then I'll see you in hell!"
    At least that concept exists in the Star Wars universe.

18. TREK_GOD_1

..and possibly a Star Wars form of Heaven Note A New Hope in the scene where Obi-Wan looks skyward with relief as he tells Luke--

In Western culture, an expression of this kind usually means one is either referring to God, or thanking Him for something a truth acknowledged--such as the fact Kenobi was still alive. Of course, this is how the scene was originally presented in 1977 before the convoluted Force meanings from the prequels and the now thankfully erased EU.

19. Set Harth

The equivalent of "God" in Star Wars is the Force.

Force ghosting is not "Jedi heaven", nor is it indicative of what happens to regular people. Despite the insistence by some Christians that even fiction must remain consistent with their belief system, the Christian Heaven and Hell do not canonically exist in the Star Wars universe, but there are always going to be people who believe in such things, including people in fictional universes.

Han Solo's use of the term "Hell" may not even reflect his own personal beliefs, as opposed to simple colloquial speech. But in any event he's not exactly to be taken as an authoritative voice on Star Wars "theology" - this is a guy who didn't even believe in the Force and called Force abilities "simple tricks and nonsense"!

The Jedi believe, in Yoda's words, that the dead "transform into the Force". This is backed up by Qui-Gon and the priestesses in The Clone Wars.

"When a living thing dies, all is removed. Life passes from the Living Force into the Cosmic Force and becomes one with it."

Yet much like differential innate Force potential, this is no invention of the EU or those dastardly prequels!

"[...]when you die, your aura doesn't die with you, it joins the rest of the life force." - George Lucas, December 1975

"The act of living generates a force field, an energy. That energy surrounds us; when we die, that energy joins with all the other energy. There is a giant mass of energy in the universe that has a good side and a bad side. We are part of the Force because we generate the power that makes the Force live. When we die, we become part of that Force, so we never really die; we continue as part of the Force." - George Lucas, from the transcripts of story meetings in preproduction for TESB

20. TREK_GOD_1

^ But none of that (the quotes) were clearly explained or used in the finished OT films, particularly the ideas about all that happens when one dies. Lucas was not clear on that during ANH's production before he decided to kill off Kenobi (and there was no such thing as a Force ghost during ANH's production).

Lucas changed his ideas on the Force so much, that he ended up creating contradictions in the series about its basic nature--the worst example being his revisionist PT midichlorians, and rating Force ability of users, which was not a part of any definition of the Force in the OT.

The one consistent idea were real world religious references. You refer to Han using Hell as colloquial speech, but such speech is derived from established ideas, concepts or places, thus Han's use of Hell obviously is based on his thinking Hell is a location. Much like Obi-Wan's look to the sky when he assures Luke that he's still alive, that facial expression (to the audience Lucas communicating with) is based on a longtime form of religious recognition. He's not accenting his comment while looking up because he's thinking of birds or an orbiting ship.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017