What did you love or didn't love about TWOK

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by startrekrcks, Dec 9, 2009.

1. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

What did you love or didn't love about The Wrath of Khan:)

2. startrekrcks

I think Khan was absolutely superb in the movie and the genesis device how it could make a planet out of nothing I just loved the whole movie so post what your thoughts are on the movie.

3. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved Khan, most of the storyline, and the FX. Superb space battles, and a credible motive for a Trek villain for once! The use of the superweapon at the end is merely incidental, and doesn't drive the plot.

Couldn't stand the Genesis "magical science" concept - although if you look in the Fan Fic forum, you'll see an absolutely ingenius take on it in "Star Trek: Genesis".

Also thought the uniforms were a tad bright... would've preferred the jackets to be a very dark grey, or something.

One final nit: Really naff, obvious spotlight bulbs used on the Reliant model. Did no-one else find that irksome?

:)

4. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I've never been a fan of TWoK.

Khan is a complete idiot - the "superior" man with his "superior" intellect who'd raved on about wanting to go to a new world (rather than the prison option he was also offered), whining because the Federation didn't run around checking up on him and his cronies every five minutes. His motive is infantile rather than credible. It was his choice to go to Ceti Alpha V. Not Kirk's, or anyone else's. His. The Federation was under no obligation to babysit Khan and co. Yet there Khan is, the supposedly superior human whining like a child throwing a tantrum in a supermarket because he doesn't get what he wants. :rolleyes:

The magical Genesis device. Designed to transform an existing planet, it's detonated in a nebula and somehow makes a planet. (Which, of course, leads to the protomatter stupidity in TSFS, one of the few things I dislike about that movie.) Absolute drivel.

Chekov (and we'll ignore the fact he wasn't in "Space Seed" since the movie's writers did, too) supposedly knew Khan and co were in the Ceti Alpha system...and yet he said nothing. Not even to his captain. No word to anyone about these dangerous superhumans the Enterprise dropped off there back in the day. As if that isn't bad enough, there's the stupidity of the Reliant's crew apparently not being able to count or to read a star chart. A planet in the system - a system Chekov, a former navigator, has supposedly been to in the past - has been destroyed and they didn't notice? I know the Enterprise crew is always being depicted as the best and brightest in Starfleet but are the crews of other ships really so incompetent that they can't manage to tell a planet in a known system isn't there any more?

Other examples of character stupidity include McCoy - of all people - being too dumb to check out whether those eel things Chekov mentioned were still in Chekov and Terrell, and Kirk racing to check out a potentially serious situation at a super-secret Starfleet base...at warp 5 (guess he was really concerned about it).

The score is terrible. Dull, dull, dull. The fact Horner basically repeated it for TSFS and Aliens makes it even worse.

There isn't much I like about TWoK, basically. To each their own but it's always struck me as very overrated.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    ^^

Which Trek film do you think 'gets it right,' Santalan? (Or at least gets it close?)

I do like TWOK, but I think you make some interesting points.:)

*The James Horner score; yes, we hear parts in Aliens, Titanic, etc...:lol: but I like it.

*The battle scenes

*Saavik

Dislikes:

*Santalan kinda mentioned a few above...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. Orac Zen

^
    If there are future threads along these lines for the other movies, that will be revealed. ;)

TWoK has too many plot holes and too many characters behaving like complete and utter idiots to appeal to me. As I said, though, to each their own. :)

7. startrekrcks

Wow The Wrath Of Khan isn't that bad could you please explain why you don't like it Santalan if that is ok

8. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

If you scroll upwards you'll see that he already did. :)

9. startrekrcks

Oh so he has sorry

10. Orac Zen

Yeah, that's just some of the reasons I don't like it.

("She", btw. :D)

11. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

My apologies!

12. Orac Zen

No worries. :)

13. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Liked:

KKKKKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!

14. startrekrcks

It's a brilliant Star Trek movie that's all I have to say.

15. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also find it rather overrated for much the same reasons. The plot is way too contrived, relying on too many coincidences and irrational behaviour. I don't find Khan to be a particularly interesting villain. I also find the reused stock footage from TMP a bit distracting. That said, as a character piece, it does have heart, and it is deliciously eighties and quotable. "Khaaaaaaannn!!!"

16. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

The fact it felt so damned millitary. Even that one ensign Kirk talked to when he first arrived, having him talk like some private in basic training was just a bit cringe worthy to me. Plus the fact it began the trend of the films dealing with no boldy going where no one gone before, and instead dealing with some villian of the week.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is nonce sense.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's hardly surprising given that when TFF gave it a go, people ripped it to shreds.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yes, because that's exactly why people don't like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. :rolleyes:

I love TWOK. There aren't many things I don't like about it. Horner's score is superb. It's certainly not dull. And the fact that Horner so liberally reused it in later scores should carry no bearing on the original.

20. Orac Zen

:shrug: Like I said, to each their own. To me, the score is dull and hearing the same dull music again in TSFS and Aliens didn't do anything for me. If others consider that opinion "nonce sense" (:rolleyes:) or whatever else, good for you.