What Changes Would You Like To See In "Plato’s Stepchildren"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by AC84, Jun 13, 2007.

1. AC84

AC84 Captain Captain

Captain Kirk acting like a horse and....Warwick Davis are up next on the chopping block. I honestly don't know how this episode got a green light back during the original production.

2. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Replace Alexander with Miguelito Loveless.

(now I can tell this joke as this is the right episode)

3. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

What's the problem?

4. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

-When Kirk is forced to be a horsie, he should sound like Mr. Ed.

-When Kirk is forced to kiss Uhura, "boom chicka-wow-wow" music should play.

-To prevent the galaxy from discovering the source of mind-power, the episode ends with the Enterprise nuking the planet from orbit...Spock says "It's the only way to be sure."

-The large chess peices should be changed to look like Federation and Klingon starships, the knight should be a Klingon Bird of Prey, since they are so kewl :cool:

5. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the ladies should be shown giving Kirk and Spock a good rogering. Talk about a TV first . . .

Joe, strapped

6. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

This is one of the VERY few TOS eps I don't want to ever see again. "Patters of Force," "Alternative Factor" and "Turnabout Intruder" also come to mind. That's a pretty good ratio!

7. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Digitally make Alexander even smaller. What guy doesn't love midgets? :D

8. A beaker full of death

I've never understood the hatred for this very good episode.

9. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: What Changes Would You Like To See In "Plato’s Stepchild

I can understand it, beaker. Some of the scenes in this episode of our heroes being humiliated through mind control are so weird that they are very uncomfortable to watch!

But I feel similarly to you; I think "Plato's Stepchildren" is a very good episode-- it's actually one of my favorites, believe it or not, because it embodies some of the best ideals of Star Trek so clearly. We see Kirk, Spock, and Bones dealing with a situation that seems impossible and scary not by using force, but by using the scientific method to patiently work toward a solution. And we see them treat others as equals-- they don't grant Parmen or his friends any added respect because of their position, nor do they look at Alexander as being worthy of any less dignity than they.

I first saw this episode as a child, and I can't explain why the lasting memory was these very positive things rather than the potential nightmare-inducing image of William Shatner braying like a horse. I can totally understand why someone would not want to see that scene again.

But it has been the positives that have stayed with me, and my overriding memory of this episode for me is that it is one of Star Trek's best.

10. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

beaker, I admire you a great deal and agree with you often but in this case you are defending an episode filled with horse pitute.

The acting sucks. The planet stage sucks. The premise sucks. Didn't we already have our Greek episode? Nobody seems to care. Only Michael Dunn brightens this tedious exercise. Plato's Stepchildren says third season in every scene.

11. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I have to admit that this sure isn't an episode I look forward to. But I will watch it just to see what they managed to improve. And for me that wouldn't take much.

12. A beaker full of death

Which, as you clearly understand, is the point.

good golly, probably the nicest thing anyone has written about me in years. Thanks!

ah crap.

Gotta disagree with you. I find it a very chilling and, as Kolrad observed, uncomfortable episode, as it should be. Viewers need to be taken out of their comfort zone. Seeing the characters humiliated, seeing Spock, IN HIS RIGHT MIND, moved to such anger that he crushed that vase, create perhaps some of the most extreme character moments in the series. Not to mention the whips and hot pokers (lotsa kinky stuff going on - and an arguably gay character to boot). Sadistic? Sure. But hey, sometimes the universe isn't so pretty. Too bad an episode about nazis, in which we actually see the whip marks on Spock's back, couldn't evoke such chills. This episode, of course, had the same theme - absolute power corrupting absolutely - and yes, presented in fairly simple terms. But I find it to be a more powerful episode.

Apollo? Yeah, I guess. But they did give us so much.

He certainly rocks.
    And by the way, I absolutely LOVE the little moment where Kirk asks Alexander if there are others like him, and it never even occurs to him that it might be taken to refer to Alexander's size - because it's something that Kirk truly doesn't see.

Also really good wirework - the gifts, the hypo, the furniture flying around - little effects that go a long way/
    And the beautiful Barbara Babcock.

It's a much maligned season. I don't think it deserves it.

13. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: What Changes Would You Like To See In "Plato’s Stepchildren"

Rogering?

14. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Re: What Changes Would You Like To See In "Plato’s Ste

Boinking

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

QFT - And I'm a fan who saw this first run on NBC. If it wern't for all the furor/press 'the kiss' has gotten over the years, I tend to agree that this would just be seen as another mediocre third season episode. And again as stated above; what there were TWO groups of aliens responsible for western Greek culture on Earth? :rolleyes:

If there's one thing that was overused one too many times (imo) in TOS it was the 'omnipotent/insanely powerful beings that their technology can't overcome at all/until the final act via a 'deus ex machina' element.'

That's the main reason I truely dislike the episode. Where No Man Has Gone Before; Charlie X; and The Squire of Gothos covered this ground well enough - every 'omnipotent/ultra-powerful god-being after that was a retread.

16. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, no, just the one. The Plantoniacs were Greek fanboys, who were rooting around, found the Vaguely Greeks, and fell in love with the lifestyle.

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

And what of Apollo in Who Mourns For Addonis? You remember all the others he called out to before he 'spread himself on the wind' at the end of that episode, right? ;)

18. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

More importantly, they don't do what I would do to Parmen and friends if I got the advantage over them. After the way they treated Kirk and Co., even letting them off without a natural ass-whooping seems lenient. Humanity evolved past the desire for revenge...it's almost unthinkable.

19. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

Not one of my favorites. But I'll force myself to watch it, if only to see the new sfx.

20. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only changes I can think of them making is to redo the establishing shots of the planet, and to do a better job of hiding the strings when Parmen and co. move things by telepathy.

Though I have a weird picture in my mind of "Bitter Dregs" getting the "Jedi Rocks" treatment... :)