What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Sythena, May 19, 2011.

1. Sythena

Sythena Ensign Red Shirt

Well the subject really says it all, what book or books are you currently reading? My friend just gave me a fantasy book that he hated called Drylor The First Artifact and I'm kinda digging it so far. I'm only on chapter 6 but I'm enjoying it so far. Like every book out there it has its boring parts but I'd recommend it to any fantasy readers.

So, what book are you currently reading at the minute?

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Flyboys by James Bradley. A book about the air war in the Pacific and specifically about the men who fought and died in the air war. Excellent book. Has inspired to get Flags of our Fathers on which the movie was based, also written by Bradley.

I'm also in the middle of the Collected Short Stories of Louis L'amour, my favorite author.

If I'm not reading historical/biographical (or historical fiction) books, you'll generally find me reading Westerns.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Voodoo River, by Robert Crais, who is a cracking crime novelist.

4. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Last night, I finished the new Charlaine Harris book Dead Reckoning, and today I started The Rising: Deliverance by Brian Keene. Then, probably the second Janet Evanovich novel in her "Plum" series.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Currently attempting to read the entire series of Dresden Files before Ghost Story comes out in July. Just finished Fool Moon today, plan on starting Grave Peril tonight.

6. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I am currently reading two books: The Devil and Sherlock Holmes, a collection of essays by David Grann, and Adversary, a horror novel by Daniel Rhodes.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm about to take a crack at Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's first non-Dune collaborative effort called "Hellhole". It looked interesting in the library so I checked it out of curiosity.

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Book? I have a 15 month old child. I think the last book I read was The Three Little Pigs.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwell.

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

A non-fiction book called 'Leichen im Keller' (roughly Skeletons in the closet).

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The Arabs: A History by Eugene Rogan; after that I'm going to read Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay.

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. What a load of dross, I'm not speaking to the person who recommended it :lol:
    Now reading The Call of the Wild just because I've always meant to.

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Phantoms by Dean Koontz.

15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm currently reading Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse, by James L. Swanson, who also wrote the equally gripping Manhunt, about the Lincoln assassination and subsequent hunt for John Wilkes Booth.

I've also got Gotham: A History of New York to 1898 running in the background; I haven't made any sort of concerted effort to get through it, I just pick it up when I'm between books or need to read something else. At this rate, it'll take me years to get through it. :p

16. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have just started

The Land of Naked People: Encounters with Stone Age Islanders by Madhusree Mukerjee. It is about the people of the Andaman Islands and its last chapter is about the Sentinelese who are a tribe of people who have resisted all contact with the rest of the world.

17. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I just finished Ancient Greece: A History in Eleven Cities by Paul Cartledge. It's a short primer covering different eras in Greek history from Knossos on Crete to Byzantion on the Bosphorus.

I just started A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was the first book he wrote and the first in the eleven volume Barsoom series. I've heard good things about the series for years.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oops, forgot to mention non-fiction. On that front, I'm reading The First Crusade: A New History by Thomas Asbridge. It covers the First Crusade (surprise!) and discusses its root causes and effect on the world.

19. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am almost finished reading Executive Intent by Dale Brown. It's a military/political thriller type novel, set in the near future. Pretty cool read, lots of cool tech stuff.

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The Forever War

Addie Pray (aka Paper Moon)

Articles of the Federation

The Pride of Chanur