What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

publiusr likes this.
  2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, I made a boo-boo.

Lower Decks's warp core now beats Voyager's. VOY's is now #2.

My brain implant was rebooting when I posted that upthread, or something. :shifty: :whistle:

3. tesral

tesral Captain Captain

Last Unicorn Games -- The book is "Among the Clans" the Andorian source book.

I do plenty of world building, Andorians are a very minor part, so I don't over think it.

4. Paul755

Paul755 Captain Captain

that’s my only major quibble with Voyagers bridge. Needed a center seat like virtually every other Starfleet starship we’ve seen.

the NX-01 bridge is also pretty well designed too.

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Controversial Opinion: S7 of TNG is one of the worst seasons in the entire franchise. It’s so entirely tired and forgettable it is virtually unbearable. It makes TNG S1 and 2 look like science fiction masterpieces.

JonnyQuest037 and Phoenix219 like this.
  6. Vger23

Voyager has the worst hero ship design (by far) and the best original theme music (by far).

TNG doesn’t count because that was the TMP theme.

controversial opinion: The USS Discovery is my second favorite television hero ship, after the TOS USS Enterprise.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do Tuvok and Harry even have chairs, or do they stand in booths for their whole shift? If so, that's evil.

And TMP has the best warp core by miles. Best engineering section in general though? The Kelvinverse Enterprise. The enourmous beer brewery and Lawrence Livermore facilities look fantastic, and give an epic sense of scale no other Trek has come close to.

burningoil and publiusr like this.
  8. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Those should have been ground installations…which they are.

9. Farscape One

Farscape One Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tuvok and Harry do have chairs at their stations.

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never liked the VOY theme much. It's slow and rather dull, far from the rousing themes we got for TOS and TMP/TNG. A rare miss from Jerry Goldsmith.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    TNG was largely dialing it in by Season 7. They knew it was the last year of the show and they were going to make a big-budget film so they just put in minimal story effort for much of the final season.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  12. RichT

RichT Guest

Deep Space 9 has the best Star Trek TV theme for me. Up until they ruined it with the Chariots of Fire remix from season four on.

Best movie theme? Generations. Hands down. Don't @ me.

publiusr likes this.
  13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's funny, the pulsing synths . . . this show means ACTION now! With a pew-pew ship and everythin'!

VOY theme is fine music. Just not setting the tone for fun adventures. If Voy stayed a scien e ship and charted gaseous anomalies, it would be fine.

14. cooleddie74

VOY had one of the best opening themes. It's a shame the series itself rarely lived up to the theme music.

Vger23 and Farscape One like this.
  15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voy and DS9 had by far the best theme music of the shows, with Voy being slightly better (and feeling more 'space-like'). Tng was rousing enough for its era but it's massively repetitive to the point of being annoying. Tos is kind of fun but super weird. The others aren't really worth mentioning at all. Well, I like Pic but it's an acquired taste I think, and I remember thinking Lds had a good theme, too, but I don't remember it at all yet so I can't really say anything there off the top of my head.

16. Vger23

The LD theme reminds me of the generic scifi adventure tv show music that the Galaxy Quest TV show uses when the aliens show Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver the video clips.

I think the PIC theme is amazing and beautiful. The DSC theme has never grown on me.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  17. cooleddie74

I actually like the DSC theme and at times find myself playing it more often than the series itself. It's a nice opening.

Vger23 likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Between DSC and PIC, I finally decided which one I like better. As anyone who reads this board knows, it's been close for me. Ultimately, I have to choose Discovery. I like it from the ground up, warts and all, and I think there are more places they can go with it.

Picard
    follows up on something I wasn't as much of a fan of and it looks to me like it's making up for the TNG Movies first and foremost: trying to give Data better send-off in S1, also giving a follow-up to Picard's future condition hinted at in "All Good Things" (which the TNG Movies never touched), and soon
    Giving us Q, who never appeared in a TNG Movie.

DSC rooted itself in TOS, but has expanded away from that. PIC, no matter how much else it has, seems to end up going back to making up for the TNG Movies. And it's very obvious that PIC is a follow-up, even if it's done in a different style.

I think DSC gives us enough so that you can get by even if you've never seen TOS. PIC relies heavily on you having seen TNG. I wonder what someone's reaction would be to Picard if they'd never seen TNG in their entire life? Could you just go into it cold?

Plus I'm under the impression that DSC ruffles feathers with The Fandom Menace just a little bit more than PIC does. The less they like it, the better. So, in my book, I look at that as a good thing.

So anyway, all of that is why I land where I landed.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  19. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

I’d say calling it one of the worst isn’t really controversial at this point. Maybe that last sentence is, though

20. Paul755

Paul755 Captain Captain

Not a fan of the themes for either Picard or Discovery. But I’d take Picard over Disco.

gimme DS9v2 as my favorite. Voyager is pretty good too. TOS fits it’s show the best. I don’t hate “Where my heart” for ENT but they should have used “Archers Theme”. Lower Decks is fine but not memorable.

I do kinda hate that they just recycled the TMP theme for TNG (although it is a great piece of music) but when you consider what we very nearly got…maybe it’s for best.

it’s not terrible but it doesn’t fit.