What about J/7?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Adm_Hawthorne, May 16, 2009.

1. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if there is anyone else here besides me that could see this coupling as a real possibility?

I know many did not and saw it as a mother/daughter relationship or simply a mentor/student relationship.

In the beginning, I did see it as mentor/student, but I have seen in story and reality that sort of relationship turn into something more. I also feel that, if Seven could mentally mature fast enough to want to date toward the end of the series, it would make more sense that it be Janeway than Chak.

I also realize there is absolutely no cannon for a same-sex relationship, but, all things being equal, could anyone see it as a viable possibility?

2. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I don't really see that kind of relationship myself, but I do know that there fans of that paring.

Brit

3. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

No offense but all the J/7 stuff is just thought up by sad, immature morons who seriously need to get *kissed*.

4. Adm_Hawthorne

Hmm, I might see that as a bit offensive, yes, as I don't really consider myself to be immature, sad, or moronic, and I'm kissed quiet often. :shifty:

There's a lot of play back and forth between the two characters that could be seen (or construed) as flirting. There's also some subtext you can pull. For example, the first scene in the Killing Game is rather full of subtext, if you're looking for it. But, of course, it's subtext, so you'd have to be looking for it.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just out of curiosity, do you even notice when you insult other users?

6. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

I've seen good Janeway/7 fics and some terrible ones in the same place: www.fanfiction.net on the Voyager section.

Personally I'm not a 7 fan at all (her actions as a drone in Survival Instinct set me against her) and I'm more a Janeway/Chakotay fan than anything else.

7. Vykan12

Vykan12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Voyager isn't a daring enough show to have a lesbian coupling.

8. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

I'm sorry but all the fantasizing about random lesbian pair-ups in Star Trek and all the ludicrous fanfic written about it (I think I came across a cross over between Janeway and Sarah Connor) is the kind of immature rubbish that gives Star Trek a bad name.

She was a drone at the time! You can't blame her, that's a silly reason to hold a grudge.

9. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

While I do not wish to provoke an arguement, my sympathy honestly was not for Seven of Nine but for P'Chan, Lansor, and Marika. The suffering they endured was terrible. And I especially felt for Marika's husband, to not know his wife's fate and to possibly learn later on down the road that his wife died because of her condition and that the woman responsible for the condition that killed her was still alive...

10. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

I always thought J/7 was closer to a mother/daughter relationship.

11. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here.

But I am aware that J/7 has a solid fandom out there.

What comes to "relationship fandoms" and Trek in general, there has always been such fandoms since the early days of TOS. There is nothing unusual, bad or disturbing about it. One can like or loath such groups, but they are an inseparable part of Trek fandom.

12. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Well its just sad imo, people should be paying attention to their own relationships not making up relationships where there weren't any for fictional characters, its pathetic imo.

13. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

If you don't like the pairing that fine but there's no need to insult those posters that do. Warning for flaming. Comments to pm.

14. Adm_Hawthorne

I can easily see that as well. I was simply curious to know if anyone here could see it swing the other way.

There is a great deal of maternal instinct pressing Janeway forward for a lot of what she does for Seven. I always thought it was odd that, in Endgame when the Admiral tells the Captain about the fate of Chak and 7, it is 7's death that changes her mind. It is so blatanat in the way the lines are delivered that, at the time it was shown, a lot of people who didn't care for Voyager pointed out how it was her 'pet borg' that caused her to mess with the timeline. A lot of shippers point to that scene as a huge smack 'o subtext.

15. Searider Falcon

Searider Falcon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can see a certain amount of chemistry between the two, yes. Enough that I'm not surprised by the following. At the very least, J/7 makes a heck of a lot more sense in that way than C/7 did!

But I can see it in a mother/daughter or mentor/student light, too, and overall tend to see it that way myself. Admittedly, that probably because I'm much more a fan of the J/C relationship.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought 7 was very needy of Janeway and Janeway appeared at times infatuated with her. I thought the subtext was clearly there, to those inclined to look for it. Not necessarily a healthy relationship, or a relationship between equals but I do see it as a pairing that would meet some deep psychological needs of two lonely people. So, J/7 works for me on a lot of levels.

17. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just don't see Seven mature enough of knowing what love is. She might understand the concept, but after all the years as a drone, she's not mature enough to truly experience it. That is the way I see her character. And that's why I don't like to "pair" her with anyone.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's true, her emotional development stopped at age 7. How long it would take to catch up I'm not sure. I did feel the doctor was ahead of himself with his romance lessons but really he was in the same boat as her so it made sense.

Anyone who was robbed of all independent thought and kept as a slave from the age of 7 to their 20's would be a psychological basket case when freed and probably spend years in care in order to lead a normal life. But of course this didn't happen.

Even though I didn't like C/7 I did think at least C would be kind to her and not take advantage of her in any way.

19. Wicca who Wonta

Wicca who Wonta Vice Admiral Admiral

Seven and Janeway had a lot of chemistry and I can definitely see the subtext as well. At the end of the day, I think it's more a case of mother/daughter dynamics, though.

I wouldn't pair her with any person either, except for the doctor, who is as emotionally immature as she is.

20. Adm_Hawthorne

The EMH being paired with anyone creeps me out, though. The fact that he is a hologram that could easily be reprogrammed just bothers me on many levels when it comes to an actual relationship.