Wells class

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Bill Morris, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Funny about the size. Ex Astris Scientia and other Web sites show it at 336 meters overall length, yet I've looked at Rick Sternbach's drawings, and they all show it scaled to 195. Some of the labeling is from one of his drawings.

[​IMG]

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I dislike the use of "temporal" so much on the msd. It feels like one of those old science fiction tropes of just adding whatever FTOM science words to things to make them sound "sci-fi".

3. Kross

Kross Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why does it need escape pods? Could it just jump back in time before it was attacked?

4. Bill Morris

CREWMAN: Everything's offline, 47 seconds to a core breach!

CAPTAIN: Get down to the Aeon and see if you can send us back to yesterday!

CREWMAN: Damned tubolift door won't open!

CAPTAIN: I TOLD them we needed escape pods on this bucket!

5. Kross

Yes, but then the explosion is detected by SF, who deploys the Enterprise-Q (commanded by Captain James Luc Sisko) on a mission to go back in time and rescue the ship. :)

6. Bill Morris

I know, but would you serve on a ship with no escape pods, unless there was a backup copy of yourself in a transporter buffer in a supposedly safe location at Starfleet HQ? Escape pods are cheap in the 29th century.

7. Kross

Whats the point of escaping in a pod if you're ship is being attacked and destroyed by an enemy ship? I mean, why wouldn't they just destroy the pods too?

MY LOGIMICALNESS IS FLAWLESS.

8. Bill Morris

Escape pods often escape battle scenes. Sisko and his son survived Wolf 359 that way. Worf survived a battle scene in one.

And a Wells class is less likely to be damaged in any firefight than by some equipment failure, in which case the pods would be useful, since it's as powerful as ships can be expected to get, not that the writers couldn't dream up a worthy foe, like participants in the Temporal Cold War often mentioned in ENT. But they wouldn't engage it in a space battle. They would go back in time and try to prevent it from ever having existed. But that's why it has temporal shields. Tough little ship.

9. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Escape pods are less useful if you're not in your original timeframe; make one Wells class ship blow up and the survivors are guaranteed to make massive changes to the timeline by their mere existence. Nah, better to let them go down with the ship.

10. Bill Morris

Well, my theory is that an enforcement vessel like this doesn't leave its own timeframe. They sometimes send out the Aeon, and they can use their temporal transporter to send people back and forth, if necessary, and never see or send anyone to their own future. And the ship is protected from timeline changes by its temporal shields.

In that scenario, when they tell someone they can scan time, that's like a magician telling about a trick but not how it's done. All that's required is to have two historical databases, one protected by temporal shielding and the other not. Then all they are really doing is having the computer look for differences and, when something is found, run an analysis looking for the cause. Later, after some "clean-up" operation, they can have the computer check the two databases again and score the results.

And no, I have no plan to change the label to "temporal escape pods."

11. sojourner

:lol:

hehe, better to have lifepods and not need them than to need lifepods and not have them.

12. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I feel similarly.

13. Kross

Remove those escape pods and you'd have enough room for a Hooters. ;)

14. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

If the ship is never intended to leave its own timeframe, then the massive temporal impeller and stabilizer fields seem quite redundant. It takes up a huge amount of space for something that's only used in emergencies.

15. Bill Morris

I think I can safely call this schematic done.

What might seem redundant may be necessary equipment for the job of temporal enforcement, since violators may be from their own time or their own future, and they have to be prepared. Besides, a temporal impeller cuts travel time as they go so they don't spend years cutting across half the galaxy then go back to their own time, which would give them ability to violate their own law by seeing their own future before jumping back. So it helps them do the job without danger of accidently or othewise turning them into violators themselves.

16. sojourner

I still think you have overused the word "temporal". Does it really need to prefix the disrupters, transporters, and warpcore?

17. Bill Morris

Rick Sternbach's labeled sketch shows temporal/subspace disruptor. temporal emitter/nav deflector, temporal impeller, and temporal warp core. Captain Braxton mentioned the Temporal Integrity Commission, and we saw how they used that transporter on the bridge. I left out termporal computer core and temporal shield generators and emitters and avoided the T-word with the deflector/rift emitter and distortion matrix.

What can be changed, and to what, without omitting a label for some vital system?

I started work on another Klingon ship--no whales this time.

18. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

I dont mean to sound like a chump but i cant say i've heard of the welles class. is it a made up shi or was it in a ep? also it sounds like it was a time ship sort of thing.

but it's still good anyways

19. sojourner

It was in a Voyager episode, forget the title. Basically starfleet time police from the future need 7 of 9 to help them clean up a temporal intrusion.

20. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

It was? I hang my head in shame until i watch more Voyager