Web Page building ala ST: Computer Interface

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by yellowdingo, Feb 19, 2009.

1. yellowdingo

yellowdingo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do a WEB PAGE that looks and functions like the Computers on the Enterprise E?

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop with alot of Javascript ..:)

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

MS Paint, Irfanview, Notepad... My website ca. 2003

If you're not doing flash, it can be pretty easy. Nowadays I'd use AJAX rather than iframes though.

4. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

Mr. B, just shifting through your site: I don't think text/xhtml is a valid MIME type. Although the server seems to be serving it as text/html anyway.

5. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

6. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

Alas, your site suffers from a bad case of "mystery meat" navigation, and it's not particularly accessible. I mean, just to scroll up and down I have to use the buttons. No scroll bar, no mouse wheel. I suppose it's ok to have such an all Flash site for personal purposes, but not suitable for the general WWW audience.

7. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the heads up, apparently text/xhtml wasn't removed from the specification as my page was still validating.

8. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it is a site that mimics the LCARS system seen in the shows as close as possible. That was the idea behind it, and your original question. There are no mouse wheels on the Enterprise E.

If you're making it a standard navigation site with LCARS graphics, that's fine, but what's the point? You'll just board an already crowded ship, and you'll never top the ones that alredy exist. Therefore, why not just make a site with non-Trek design, like for instance this?