Watched both the Tron movies back to back, still love them a lot.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

And you know what I really did enjoy them both. The 2nd one had better visuals but then they had modern effects technology to help them create it, so it didn't look as stiff and as animated as the first one. But the concepts is what gets me every time I watch these two. I still am a bit disappointed they never made a third movie. It could have been a thing had it been more popular and more people had wanted it.

But yes the concepts. That programs we write are in fact an actual world. I mean that messes with my head to think that. Plot holes aside I enjoyed them both and there was a shit ton of things you could nitpick in both movies but they were fun, but there are those headscratchers that I do wonder about. Like an abandoned arcade. Who owned it? How was it not trashed or bulldozed for over 20 years?

These are the ones I still wonder about.

How did that little computer keep running for so long without anyone to look after it, over 20 years in that dank basement, and how did Flynn steal that laser from Encom?

Where was the grid located exactly, in the original movie it was hinted at it was inside that single mainframe computer, but where is it now in the second movie?

Encom had become a huge corporation, surely someone there knew something was using computer resources or no one would have seen this grid thing, if it's just data it would have been eating up resources wouldn't it?

In all those years daddy Flynn never bothered to come out of the grid, maybe bring some evidence of it for the world to see or take people from the real world into it so not to be labeled a whack job, I get the impression the rest of the world thought that he was a bit of a lunatic / nutter.

Oh and Quorra, how did she become flesh and blood?

As for Clu what the heck, what exactly was he going to bring into the real world? if it was only he and his army they don't exactly have weapons, and it didn't seem objects apart from clothing could move between worlds.

Anyway I still love both movies a lot, just sad we never got a proper third movie but I never got into the TV show.

Continuous Cosmos and Tosk like this.
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They are now. It's called Tron: Ares and stars Jared Leto.

Dr. Spock Jenkins and publiusr like this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Hmmmmmmm Oh OK I know who he is but haven't seen many movies with him in it in big roles.

4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Blade Runner 2049 was a good one to catch him in.

Dr. Spock Jenkins likes this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Ok thanks

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Game Grid from the original film did indeed seem to be located within ENCOM's mainframe, but the Grid from Legacy was on Flynn's own private server.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Olivia Wilde + Daft Punk. How can you go wrong?

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

If you haven't played the Tron 2.0 game, I'd suggest giving it a try. It's a little rough given you have to download a mod in order to have it work correctly on modern PCs, but it was originally written as a direct sequel to the first movie. The look and feel is pretty spot on and looks great in high resolutions. I played it a few years ago and it was great.

9. Gingerbread Demon

I'll have a look for that, I bought the soundtrack to this the moment I got the movie and I love the soundtrack. Love Daft Punk

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I thought Tron was a middling if interesting looking film when it came out. I thought Legacy didn't even understand what Tron was about.

I'm not not going to try to convince anyone who loves the films, but for anyone interested....

THE LEGACY OF TRON
    Dec. 20, 2010
    tron-legacy-movie_450.jpg

TRON: LEGACY is title of the sequel to 1982’s Tron, and in a way the title is apt, because the new film has so much in common with the original, being a flashy and visually striking film with a number of exciting action sequences that ultimately ends up being about nothing much at all.

Where Legacy succeeds is visually. The world inside the computer is stark, simple, and often stunning: if a tad too black. The 3D is used well, switching on only when we enter the digital realm, and generally avoiding the 3D film cliches: the dimensionality is played behind the screen, rarely poking out in front of it. The action scenes are generally well-done and exhilarating.

If the film were a story told in pictures this would be fine. If it were showing us stuff we’ve never seen before or so graphically interesting that story didn’t matter it would also succeed. Heck if, it was really fun it’d be great. But it’s none of those things, and as such must rely on primarily on story and character.

But the problem with the story is that there isn’t much of one. Sam Flynn is sucked into the computer world and forced to play games by a sapient program named Clu, who was created by and is the spitting image and creation of Sam’s long-lost father, Kevin Flynn. A program named Quorra spirits Sam from the “Game Grid” and takes him to meet his real dad, who’s been trapped in the computer for decades. There’s a limited amount of time in which to escape, and the race is on to get to the “portal” that will let Sam and his father out. Of course, the baddie Clu wants information dear old dad has that will let him invade the real world. Sam must escape, dad must stop Clu, and Quorra is the love interest….so you know what her function is. That’s pretty much it. Oh, there’s some mumbo jumbo about life forms generated spontaneously in the computer and about changing the world and about the corporation that Sam Flynn is ignoring even though he owns a majority holding, but as none of those amount to a hill of bits they’re not worth discussing.

The second problem is with the characters. Sam Flynn is just another generic bad-boy good guy. He’s daring, smart, sexy, the hero, with nothing much of interest to say and about as much charisma as a computer program. His dad, Kevin (Jeff Bridges) seems like a high-tech version of “The Dude” (from The Big Lebowski), and speaks most in platitudes. Quorra a is just a wide-eyed neophyte who’s a badass fighter, albeit she has a few mildly endearing moments. Clu is just evil with a capital EEEEEV.

tron-legacy-jeff-bridges-8-7-10-kc.jpg
    Hoodies...of the digital world!

The poor story and underdeveloped characters result in the entire film being little more than a flashy 3D chase movie with about as much dimension as a computer screen (despite its being filmed in 3D).

Neophyte feature director Joseph Kosinski’s insistence on real sets and self-lit costumes seems queerly at odds with the film’s subject matter. If ever a film should revel in its artificiality, a Tron film should be it. Instead, by insisting on real/functional costumes and real sets where possible, the film’s design and look becomes shackled to practical concerns. The costumes look like clothing, complete with wrinkles. Skin looks like skin. Makeup looks like makeup. As such, the world ends up looking like a bunch of fancy nightclubs and Apple Stores populated by clubbers in form fitting vinyl with glowy appliques. Even when there are visual effect-generated backgrounds and settings the film frequently fails to stylize the environment. Mist and cloud look like just that. It does not compute.

tron-legacy5.jpg
    Does this look like the digital realm to you?

As technically awkward as the original Tron looks in hindsight, its world generally looks more alien and unworldly than most of Legacy. The film escapes these limitations occasionally, as the Game Grid with its disk games set in floating glass boxes and lightcycle battles on a multi-leveled glass arena with curving ramps are wonderfully unreal. There’s some real excitement to these sequences, but they’re neither so dazzling nor numerous enough to carry the film.

Surprisingly, given the ubiquity of digital technology today, the film is incredibly naive or flat out ignorant about computers. For instance, Kevin Flynn says that Clu can only repurpose (brainwash) programs but not create them, which is completely at odds with the electronic world we all know where viruses make copies of themselves into new systems and where every copy is a perfect reproduction with no loss in quality.

And that’s what’s particularly sad about Legacy: not only is the story trite, but it’s really got nothing to do with computers and the digital realm that’s part and parcel of our modern age. We live in a world where our lives are increasingly spent interacting with computers and where even our friends and friendships are conducted in a large part digitally. Our relationship status, interests, medical information, and legal misbehavior are all in that computer world, and there’s plenty of opportunity to make a story about the conflict between the “real world” you and the digital ones. But Legacy doesn’t talk about any of that. South Park’s episode “You Have 0 Friends” has a hundred times more to say about our relationship to computers than Tron: Legacy. It’s too bad the filmmakers chose the easy path of flash minus substance when they could just as easily have opted to have all that sound and fury signify something.

So, In the end, Tron: Legacy is just a roller-coaster ride through a cool looking world absent anything really to say about computers and how they effect the human condition. In that way, it’s just like the original Tron, which is why “legacy” is the perfect summation of Trons past and present.

END OF LINE

publiusr likes this.
  11. Gingerbread Demon

OMG I loved your review.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well thanks!

publiusr likes this.
  13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now for Tron to battle the Bitcoin data takeover and the ISPs

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

But sadly, not Boxleitner, who bailed because of the constant delays.

I mean, I understand why he did, but it still sucks that Alan won't be in the new film (hell, he was barely in Legacy).

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched both movies again when I first got Disney+ and I really enjoyed them both too. They aren't the best or deepest movies ever, but they're still pretty fun.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they might still be able to get a voice out of him later...it would be a shame for a Tron movie not to have Tron in it.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Voice? Is it an animated film? :confused:

18. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I saw Tron 1 as a kid of the 80's, and thought it was awesome. Loved the arcade game, too.

19. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I love the Tron movies and the animated series that got cancelled way too early.

20. Gingerbread Demon

The thing that I like about the movies is that if you take them literally every program you run is a person and somehow computers have an environment inside them when they are turned on. So what happens with programs like games and stuff like say Red Dead or GTA. is that the actual world happening inside the computer, if we can go there would we see what we see on our screens?