Vulcan neck Pinch

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Feb 7, 2008.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Do the vulcan's have some ability that the Romulans don't? I have never seen the Romulans do it, but the Vulcans do. This would suggest that they (Romulans) physically can't do it, and that the Vulcans evolved with the ability AFTER the Romulans left Vulcan.

Hmmmmmm...I dunno. The Romulans only left 1800 years ago or so. That would suggest this is a recent gift the Vulcan's have developed..or is it? Data can do it. Heck, even Kirk did it in the book version of Voyage home.

Infact, Spock implies he has tried to teach Kirk how to do it on more than one occaision...

and yet....the Romulans can't do it.

Am I missing something here?

Okay you Vulcan experts. What is going on with the Vulcan neck pinch

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It probably requires most it not all of the following:

-intense concentration (so not for Romulan hotheads)
    -great strength (Romulans would have that if they had the discipline to exercise)
    -psionic wiring in the fingers (probably the Romulans still have this, even though it may athropy with disuse; OTOH, Data probably doesn't have this, so it's the unlikeliest condition of the three)

Then again, why would a Romulan do it? A disruptor blast is so much more effective.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    We haven't seen the Romulans do it, which is not the same as "They can't" And a disrupter blast is very effective as Timo noted.

4. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was called, The Vulcan Nerve Pinch. Vulcans also have a degree of telepathic abilities, which I believe come into play for the "pinch" to work effectively.

5. Timo

Then again, we don't know if Romulans lack telepathic abilities...

If the Remans of ST:Nemesis are some sort of mutated Romulans, then the telepathic abilities of Shinzon's Viceroy might prove something. Otherwise, we lack proof. Although I'd expect Romulans to use telepathy as an interrogation method often enough to be seen on screen.

Timo Saloniemi

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Well, yes we all know phaser can do the same job. That isn't what this question is about. This question is why can't the Romulans do it if they are related to the Vulcans.

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I am doubtful that telepathic abilities come into play since Spock was willing to teach Kirk. Nothing indicates that he was particularly telepathic or that such was needed to use the technique. Kirk's failure was more likely something more physical, and one that I'd think others may have mastered since no indication was given that the technique was one that was impossible to learn though it may have been very difficult.

8. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

If there was a telepathic element involved, Data wouldn't have been able to do it.

It is probably simply the physical precision yet strength of grip required. Vulcans are experts at controlling their own bodies, so they can manage it. Romulans, probably only after extensive training.

I've heard the Pinch referred to as "the only single-form martial art, yet that one move requires such intense practice it takes as long to master as any conventional art" in some Trek literature, and that seems logical - only Vulcans (or Data) have the mental focus to spend so long mastering a single move. Romulans and humans probably could, but in the same time could earn a black belt in Tae Kwon Do or the like, where a weakness in one particular move isn't as much of a handicap.

9. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Forgot about that. Good point. :vulcan:

10. TOSTNGDS9VOYENT

TOSTNGDS9VOYENT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This raises the question of whether Romulans have the same physical overall strength.

Whenever a Human fights a Vulcan, the Vulcan is much stronger. On the other hand, Romulans don't seem any stronger than Humans.

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

per the man who invented it, Vulcans have the ability to emit some sort of electric impulse through their fingertips that affects the central nervous system of the people "pinched."

12. Timo

Why not?

We are told in modern Trek that the physiological basis of telepathy is fairly well understood in the 24th century. The specific organs and chemicals that are involved have been identified at least (see for example TNG "Dark Page"). It shouldn't be impossible for Soong to install a few gadgets that perform the function of those organs, making Data exhibit some telepathic abilities, even if in a crude form that doesn't extend to mindreading.

And Soong might have wired Data for that, too.

But that explanation doesn't wash at all if Kirk was supposed to have the potential (no pun intended) for learning the trick, too. Sorry, Mr Nimoy.

Timo Saloniemi

13. THE_FETT

THE_FETT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You know, the real question is, why would Kirk even need to learn the pinch, anyway? I've seen Kirk (and McCoy) take down a man with one kung-fu swipe to the neck on many occasions.

14. estrea

estrea Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not sure if this is canonical or not: Vulcan has higher gravity and thinner atmosphere. Romulus has what? Lots of phaser/disruptor factories? A group of people who rejected the mental discipline of c'thia and became very xenophobic and treacherous to boot. Sneaky as they are, I simply cannot imagine a Romulan or Reman getting close enough to an enemy to make it necessary to *use* The Pinch.

They either zap away. Or they lie. Now the Tal Shiar (please pardon if I have misspelled), I'd bet my...[fill in the blank] they'd *love* to learn The Pinch. In their line of work, it would come in very handy.
    :D

--------------

Looking for chocolate asteroids in all the wrong places.

15. Tralis

Tralis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Romulans don't have the same desire for beauty in the way they subdue their foes, perhaps?

16. EnsignJulka

EnsignJulka Captain Captain

I wish I could learn the Vulcan neck pinch, it would be very handy...

17. Odon

Odon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well if it means anything, I read that the Nerve Pinch was invented by the writers because they figured Spock would want a means of disabling someone without killing them. That's not exactly part of Romulan philosophy.

18. EnsignJulka

EnsignJulka Captain Captain

Yeah spock was cooler because unlike Kirk, who used kung fu all the time, he used a discreet but dignified way of disabling foes...

19. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Nimoy invented it as a more elegant method than having Spock slug a guy.

20. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Admiral Admiral

Well, Odon "read" it, but you're disputing it.

Personally, I like your version more, Beaker. But do you have anything that backs up your assertion?