Vulcan Breeding Stock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS Triumphant, Jul 29, 2015.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

It occurs to me that the Federation might make an exception to the Prime Directive and allow the Vulcans to make First Contact with the Mintakans and other "proto-Vulcan" groups? And have we been told how Romulus has reacted to Vulcan's destruction? Seems like they would want to help, given their roots and that Vulcan has gone rather suddenly from being a traditional adversary to being an endangered part of their own people's history.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

First of all, the Mintakans weren't discovered until the TNG era, so technically the 23rd century Federation of the nuUniverse doesn't know about them. Second, just because the Vulcans are now considered an endangered species still does not give them the right to interfere in the affairs of the Mintakans.

As for the Romulans, do you honestly think they'd want to help?

3. USS Triumphant

As for the Mintakans, Spock (Prime) probably does. And the Federation and Starfleet of Kirk's era were much more willing to bend the rules when it suited their ends. At least it always seemed that way to me.

As for the Romulans, yeah... maybe. The maybe is why I presented it for discussion. ;)

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd say no one would have the right to interfere with the evolution of primitive Vulcanoid species. It would make for an interesting novel though.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Vulcans have a mild xenophobic streak. Even with Vulcanoids I think there would be a hesitancy to "mix".

In addition to the Romulans and the Mintakans there is also a species of Rigelians who are possibly Vulcaniods.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Were they actually called Endangered? I don't recall.

Yea, it's a major tragedy, to have your population reduced to 10,000 from Millions or Billions, but, that hardly sounds like endangered to me, and mixing with another race, that isn't purely Vulcan, doesn't sound like a good first option to pursue, in reality, that seems to me to be a much less better option, than having full blooded Vulcans "commit more thoroughly" to producing children.

Definitely interfering in the Mintakans history is way out of line

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Depend, are we talking Romulan people or Romulan government?

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock said something along the lines of "It seems I am now a member of an endangered species." Roughly around the time we got the remark about 10,000 left.

The Romulans would only care insofar if they could conquer the remainder of the Vulcan people.

There would be no moral ground for the Vulcan's to break their protocols. 10,000 is dangerously low numbers, but with logic and efficiency i'm sure the Vulcan's could begin to reproduce and propagate their species once again.

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that means would be found to break the Pon Farr cycle so that Vulcans would mate more frequently than every seven years and utilizing in vitro fertilization techniques, practiced even now, could result in multiple births.

10. BillJ

I doubt the Romulans would really care. It has been two thousand years since the split.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But Spock Prime said he wouldn't reveal anything about what he knows of the future. That is, if he even knew of the existence of the Mintakans at all. It's not like the Federation would be apt to blab about a secret duck-blind outpost to some semi-retired ambassador, even if it was Spock.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I think the Vulcans possess the ingenuity and determination to rescue their species from the brink of destruction without having to resort to unethical or dangerous methods.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

So, exactly how does one approach a planet of "proto-Vulcans" and ask them if they'd like to become breeding stock?

14. BillJ

You just steam roll them.

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I recommend:

Flowers, chocolates... promises you don't intend to keep, that sort of thing.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 10,000 doesn't include Vulcans living offworld at the time their world was destroyed. There could be millions of them left, counting that. So they might still have a viable genetic base.

17. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, I think that is every last Vulcan scattered across space. There's no way The Enterprise picked up 10,000 refugees. They hadn't the time, and there was virtually no time for the people on the surface to evacuate before the blackhole ate the planet.

Vulcans were apparently very xenophobic in this time.

18. USS Triumphant

True, but you're assuming the Enterprise was the only ship involved. Some Vulcan vessels may have launched from the surface - not many, obviously, but some - and if they were also fortunate enough to be on the opposite side of the planet from the Narada (assuming Nero would blow up escape ships - which I think he would have) then they may have escaped the destruction of the planet.

Vulcans have been xenophobic since Orions kidnapped a bunch of their leaders including Surak. And since that happened shortly before the Romulans left, it explains their xenophobia, too. (Diane Duane novelverse Vulcan. Not official canon, but officially in my head-canon, dagnabit! ;) )

Something I've wondered since seeing ST:2009 - what about P'Jem? And did Vulcan seriously have NO other colonies or outposts? For that matter, it seems like there should have been more than 10,000 Vulcans on EARTH related to diplomatic, educational, and other governmental functions.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

You mean, an invitation for free, uninhibited hanky-panky, with a hot Vulcan babe with no strings attached wouldn't be enough?

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

+1 :techman: