Voyager Standalone Books?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Captain Kathryn, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

So apparently since I have dedicated all of my Voyager novel reading to the relaunch novel series...apparently I missed the fact that there are a ton of other Voyager books?! :borg:

I recently started dating a fellow Trekkie/Trekker and he has about 150 Star Trek books and I have been borrowing them (IT'S LIKE MY VERY OWN STAR TREK LIBRARY!!!). I noticed he has about 10 Voyager books that I have never read and missed somehow! Example: Echoes.

Started reading Echoes and it is pretty good so far. Are these in some sort of series or are they standalone? How are they? Worth reading all 10-15 books?

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Lucky girl.:bolian:

Anyway, I recall enjoying "Mosaic". It covers Janeway's hstory and gives you some good 'aha' moments as to why Janeway is Janeway.

These sites will give you a good indication of which books go where and if they are stand-alone or part of a series:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Voyager_(Pocket)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_Voyager_novels

Go ahead and read'em all. You can always put it down and go to another if you feel the need.

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the season 1-3 Voyager books.
    My favorite is "The Black Shore" by Greg Cox but there are many others which are great too.

A tip: Take a look at the Kes Website (link below). Check the Timeline and read the books in that order if possible.
    You can also check out my book reviews but be careful for possible spoilers.
    And yes, they are really worth reading all of them!

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mosaic is a must read.

Also not mentioned that often is the Section 31 VOY book which you can read without reading the others.

5. Captain Kathryn

Yeah, I don't mean the short stories or the Jeri Taylor books like Mosaic and Pathways. Love them though!

There seems to be a bundle of OTHER books I am unfamiliar with. There's like 10 other books that I haven't heard about until now! :drool: I am intrigued by the Section 31 VOY book!

6. teacake

Yeah Trek books used to be numbered, there are literally hundreds of TNG and TOS ones like that. VOY had a bunch too. They were mostly stand alones that take place during the series.

7. Captain Kathryn

Ah, I see what happened. The ones I am borrowing from him are the numbered books. I always skipped them because for some reason I thought most of them were episode novelizations! But they aren't! :D

He also has a buttload of the DS9 numbered books. Gonna be doing so much reading.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Escape and Echoes were both very enjoyable. The former captured the characters astonishingly well, considering it was written before the series aired!

Also loved Battle Lines. Chakotay's finest moment (and very similar to a mission the Silver Blood Voyager crew recall in "Course: Oblivion")

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought The Escape was really cool. Very interesting use of time travel. Almost Who-ish, in a way.

And I'm a sucker for parallel stories so Echoes also was a great read. Although sometimes I got a bit lost trying to figure out who belonged in whose universe.

10. teacake

I have to say there are numbered DS9 books that are way better than the later relaunch (which did start off very well but IMO got quite muddled).

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recommend the Captain's Table: Fireship novel. I bought it because it was about Janeway but three chapters in, I put it down and never picked it up again. It's written in a very weird way and Janeway is kind of off.

12. teacake

I have Captains Table (all in one book) but I never read it. Reviews aren't good. I got it in a thrift store.

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't like it either. I remember it was very weird. I read it once and then gave it away.

14. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

You should marry the guy and then they are also your books :devil:

15. teacake

OR borrow all of them and stage a nasty breakup so he can't ask for them back.

16. Captain Kathryn

:lol::lol::lol:

17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

No that's mean ;)

18. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

Wish they'd go back to that. I get confused trying to keep the relaunch titles straight. I tend to go long periods without reading then pick it up again and I have to do research so I don't read them out of order.

19. teacake

When I read them I bleep over huge chunks that I don't get the references in because I either haven't read or don't remember what happened in the other books.

I also bleep over all the TNG parts and all the angsty relationship parts and all the parts about babies.

This has meant recent books were pretty short!

20. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

The Black Shore is very good as is The Final Fury - TFF is the end of the Invasion! crossover series that began with TOS, TNG and DS9, but it stands well on it's own.

The String Theory trilogy is very good if you haven't read it. In fact, it redeems some of the mistakes the tv series made. Lynx, it's not reviewed on your site, have you read it? What did you think of it?

I'm currently rewatching VOY season 1 as part of my massive multimedia Trek marathon, and I have all the VOY novels ready to re-read too!

As far as reading order, you can always do publication order.