VOTE | TOS Avatar Contest #38 | They Did It First!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Michael, Jun 13, 2009.

?

See instructions in the poll ...

Poll closed Jun 16, 2009.
  1. Please vote for your TWO favorite avatars!

6.3%
  2. --------------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. [IMG]http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com/firstredshirt.gif[/IMG]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/287zpys.gif[/IMG]

12.5%
  5. [IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Jinx01/AVATARS/TREK/uhura-1.jpg[/IMG]

12.5%
  6. [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/1z5ktfk.gif[/IMG]

56.3%
  7. [IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/orac1977/vulcanneckpinch.gif[/IMG]

50.0%
  8. [IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/ria_75/Avatars%202/DaggeroftheMind-av1.png[/IMG]

25.0%
  9. [IMG]http://www.shawcomputing.net/racerx/avatars/avatar-firsts-2.gif[/IMG]

43.8%
  10. --------------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. QUESTION 1: The poll should allow for more than one vote when there are ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. --------------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. ... 5 entries.

12.5%
  14. ... 6 entries.

12.5%
  15. ... 7 entries.

25.0%
  16. ... 8 entries.

31.3%
  17. ... 9 entries.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. ... 10 entries.

12.5%
  19. ... more than 10 entries.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Always allow for more than one vote; regardless of how many entries there are.

6.3%
  21. Never allow for more than one vote.

6.3%
  22. --------------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. QUESTION 2: When the instructions say 'Vote for TWO', should single votes count?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. --------------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Yes

62.5%
  26. No

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Welcome to the TOS Avatar Contest voting thread!

Please for [​IMG] two [​IMG] avatars. Don't vote for yourself. Leaving the names off was intentional, both for space reasons (poll options are limited to 100 characters each) and so people don't swoop in and vote based on name.

Also, note that this poll consists of two parts; the usual voting for the avatars and a little survey to find out how you want the rules to be in future contests. :)

Here's the breakdown of names (with the respective avatar to make it easier for you to post who you have voted for):

[​IMG]
    Carpe Occasio

[​IMG]
    Gary7

[​IMG]
    JiNX-01

[​IMG]
    NCC-1701

[​IMG]
    orac

[​IMG]
    ria 75

[​IMG]
    Shaw

2. Michael

Shaw and ria for me. :techman:

Also, thanks to everyone who's taking part in the survey. :)

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My votes:

[​IMG]
    NCC-1701

[​IMG]
    orac

Survey:

10 entries

Yes

4. ZERO_of_ZERO

ZERO_of_ZERO Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NCC-1701
    &
    ria 75

Q1:
    8 is about right .... or possibly a few more.
    (Although if there can only be one winner, then should we ever vote for more than one?)

Q2:
    I have said No.
    With the previso that if you have accidentally voted for one, you can post the name of the one you missed.
    (If that does not complicate things too much)

I have mainly said this because what is the point of stating the number of Avs to vote for if people vote for as many as they want?

All that said, these competitions are supposed to be fun so do we want totally strict rules?

So what I mean is;
    Possibly No and Possibly Yes .... :confused:

And infact I suppose what I really, really mean is that I think most answers to Q1 & both answers to Q2 are all equally valid/correct.

....... I get the feeling I'm not helping with my answer?

5. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    Thank you.

The problem is when you don't want to give anybody your second vote.
    Most av contests say you're allowed to vote for 2 or 3 but you don't have to disperse your votes.

6. ZERO_of_ZERO

ZERO_of_ZERO Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand that, and it does bring up the question of the wording of the voting instructions.
    Surely then the best option would be to only ever vote for one?

What if you were allowed to vote for 2 but really liked 3 or more?
    Perhaps you should be allowed to vote for as many or as few as you like?
    (Im not sure how that would go in terms of ties)

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Voted for two.

I voted for seven, but that's more or less an arbitrary number. It depends upon the average number of entries in previous contests, the apparent quality of the field of entries, and a number of other things, all pretty subjective when taken individually or together. Go with what feels right for that contest.

I think so. I've always read "vote for two" as meaning "vote for no more than two", rather than meaning "you must vote for more than one". Sometimes, the second (or third) choice isn't apparent. On the other hand, too often, I feel like I want to vote for all of the entries. Placing an upper limit on the number of votes keeps the playing field level.

8. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted for NCC-1701 and Shaw.

Regarding the questions I'll just say that I agree with M'Sharak and voted the same.

:D

9. Thelin

Thelin Lieutenant Red Shirt

My votes went towards NCC-1701 and ria 75.

For question one, I voted for 10 entries. For question two, I voted for yes. I look at it that you've got the option to vote for two, which is really a luxury considering how good these are.

10. 26138

26138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oops - I checked "7" and "8" under survey question #1 - I meant to check 8 and forgot to uncheck 7. Sorry :(

11. Michael

*bump*

Thanks for all the votes so far. They are really helping. I'm glad we're doing this. :)

12. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Pinned.

13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

:wtf:

So I was under the impression that the contest was still ongoing (as it had still been pinned at the top of the page as of a day or so ago), and now I find we have a vote thread that is already closed (but was pinned yesterday).

So in light of the fact that I can't vote... I'm boycotting this vote on moral and ethical grounds! I absolutely will not take part in something I'm not allowed to take part in!

:rolleyes:

Of course had I been able to vote I would have voted for NCC-1701 and ria 75.

14. ria 75

^^ LOL. Thank you.
    Well everybody had been holding their breath since the voting thread was at least 3 days late in relation to the date announced. But when NCC-1701 put up the voting thread he linked it in this post of the pinned entry thread. http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3079397&postcount=18
    Gotta keep up!
    Could the pinning have been ill-timed due to this delay? Or plain late. The irony of the pinning after the 3-day poll was closed didn't escape me either. But the voting thread always was on the front page.

15. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

At best I only had time to stop by the forums once a day to see if anything interesting had been happening in the last week, and I only popped in here long enough to see if the contest was still on top (which it was).

It isn't like I've completely got the hang of how these contest things work anyways... I submitted an entry into another of these that seems to still be running ( :wtf: ). So the best I think I can hope for is that when I do enter one of these that someone finds my entries entertaining to some degree.

Oh well... c'est la vie. :sigh:

16. Orac

Sorry you missed out on the vote Shaw, unfortunately our mods aren't omnicient and can't always pin these threads in time, if we include your posted vote in the score the end result is still the same,

the winner is NCC-1701!

Congrabulations! :bolian:

Please pick the new theme...

I will take into account the results of this weeks poll when I post the new contest. :)

17. ria 75

I think you're out of luck. It seems they don't name winners in the TOS caption contests any more. The point is to read each other's captions anyway. Winning in those is subjected to the choice of one judge and I bet that each time, lots of people don't agree with their choice. What matters it to get a few good laughs out of the thread. - And thanks for the link. :) I hadn't been around for that one.

18. Michael

Sorry for letting you guys wait so long again for me finally showing up. This was another incredibly busy week. This real life thingy surely is a pain in the ass. :rolleyes:

However, thanks for all the votes! I didn't see that coming, to be honest. I threw together the Vina animation in the last seconds just to enter something. I never even got the loop right, so I didn't expect anyone to actually like it. But I'm pleased to see that the dancing Orion woman convinced you. :D

Once again I also want to thank everyone who took part in the survey. So, for future contests, we will allow for two votes when there are eight (or more) entries. And single votes will count from now on. :)

There's still one more thing I forgot about, though: What when someone accidentally (or on purpose) votes for more than two entries? These votes should be disregarded then, right? (Unless the poster posts his actual two choices.)

Ooh, how I wish people would actually do that! I mean, I'm really glad we have so many people voting in these polls. But there are some I've never ever seen posting anywhere. So I wouldn't expect everyone to do what you say above. ;)

Oh, personally I don't want strict rules. I just want rules. Rules everyone agrees with. And since a discussion about the rules came up, I think it was a good idea to finally decide on the rules.

I agree with all of that. And I think eight is a good cut-off number. Looking back at all the previous contests, eight entries really is a good average. There were times when we never had more than five or so entries. Eight really feels like a lot for this contest. So, in conclusion, I think it's reasonable to allow for two votes when there are at least eight entries.

Cool! :techman:

I'd love to do The Empath! :)

19. Orac

The Empath it is, I'll post the new contest shortly...

ETA: The new contest is now up here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  20. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Unpinned.