Vote: Chances of Comic-Con DW movie announcement?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Hennessy Badger, Jul 11, 2009.

?

DW Comic-Con movie announcement this month?

1. Yes, I think it’ll happen.

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. No, won’t be happening.

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, I’m sure most of you have heard the rumors about the possible announcement of a (David Tennant/Russell T Davies) Doctor Who movie at this month’s Comic-Con.

The question is, what do you think the chances are that this will happen? Davies has been dropping hints about a "special project" to DW magazine. Do you think there will be a "David Tennant as the Doctor" movie? And if so, should I be getting my hopes up for an announcement later this month?

Vote, and let me know what you think! :techman:

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

rusty's said they're still working out a script and if it'd be affordable. they'd probably need a US studio's help...

3. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really want to see a Doctor Who movie with Tennant. This Comic-Con panel sure seems like the perfect place to announce it so I'm really hoping they do.

4. Hennessy Badger

^ I'd love to see it happen too. In fact, I really think if there were to be a DW movie in the next few years, they'd likely want Tennant in the role.

I'm not sure if the announcement would be this soon though. I don't know. It could go either way.

If a script is currently being put together I'm sure the writer(s) know which actor will be playing the lead. I couldn't see them writing a generic Doctor with the idea of plugging in the actor later on. Each incarnation of the Doctor has been so unique, it would be odd not to know whether to write him with Tennant's flavor or Smith's...right?

If they were to announce it this month would that make the final TV specials anticlimactic? I could see that being a reason to stay quiet on the issue.

But I hope it does happen. It'd be exciting news. I'd say right now I'm leaning toward it not happing, but if it were to happen - I wouldn't be shocked.

5. Hennessy Badger

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're not casting anybody for The Hobbit yet (beyond the couple of returnees) and even if they were Tennant is completely the wrong body type for the part. Look at Ian Holm and the rest. Camera trickery can make you look small but they're still not going to be hiring any stringbeans.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't DC supposed to be making a big Superman film announcement at ComicCon? ;)

8. Hennessy Badger

You're probably right. EW.com has a poll asking "Who should play Bilbo Baggins?" The options consisting of: David Tennant, James McAvoy, Daniel Radcliffe, or None of the above.

So far James McAvoy is in the lead with 60% of the vote.

Our good Doctor is in third place with 11% - Just slightly ahead of the Potter boy. :shifty:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/hobbit-comiccon-casting.html

9. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why announce a Doctor Who Movie at an American comic convention? While I understand that comic and graphic-novel readers are more likely to be into sci-fi and fantasy, and therefore more likely to be in the small percentage of Americans who know of or like Doctor Who but it just seems in efficient. I think they'd be better off holding their own press announcement in Britain where such an announcement could be the center of it's own events as opposed to a tangent...

I guess announcing it at Comic-con could get Americans interested in the Doctor Who movie. I think, though, that who ever is in charge of marketing would be better off making a campaign that 'educated' Americans on the history of the show so they realize it's a big event -- maybe try to get a documentary or classic re-runs on a bigger channel.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Because SDCC has absolutely jack-shit to do with comics anymore. Over the past fifteen years or so, it's grown more and more geared to the needs of Hollywood to promote their projects.

That's the thing that bothers me about a Doctor Who film. If it's made as an American co-production, what role will the people holding the purse strings have? What compromises can we expect for the sake of it being made? RTD, as a television producer in Britain, wields enormous power. RTD, as a writer of a Hollywood movie, wields absolutely zero power.

11. Spiderpope

Spiderpope Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That is definitely a concern i share, especially given that the last time Americans got involved with Doctor Who, we ended up with Eric Roberts as The Master and David Hasselhoff as a serious contender for the role of the Doctor.

12. Allyn Gibson

Hasselhoff was never a serious contender for the Doctor in Segal's film.

The agreement that Segal worked out was the he and the BBC got to pick the Doctor; FOX got to pick the Master. Segal wouldn't have cast a non-Brit in the role of the Doctor.

Segal wanted Christopher Lloyd as the Master, but FOX wanted Eric Roberts.

13. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Hmm. Christopher Lloyd as the Master? I have a hard time seeing it myself but almost anything would have been better than Eric Roberts.

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Given his performance as Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I think Lloyd could have done a decent job.

15. Allyn Gibson

Roberts had an approach to the role that gets overlooked.

He wasn't trying to play the Master as Delgado or Ainley had played it. Rather, he was trying to play the role like he was a corpse whose body was being inhabited by that snake-thing. That's why he's so jerky and mannered; he's playing the Master as though he has to figure out how to make the body work.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

but RTD as writer/executive producer wields SHIT loads of power.

17. Allyn Gibson

Executive producers in television wield power. Executive producers in film don't. In film, executive producer is more of an honorary title; the Weinsteins got Exec Producer credits on the Lord of the Rings films as thanks for starting up development on them at Miramax.

It's all going to depend on the kind of deal RTD gets.

18. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Haven't seen it. I'm most familiar with his eccentric roles, Doc Brown and Reverend Jim. I'll take your word for it though. ;)

I know he wasn't trying to copy them. I just never liked him that much as an actor. I can appreciate what we was trying to do but it just didn't work for me. :)

19. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Actually, FOX was fine with Christopher Lloyd as the Master; the problem was that he cost too much, believe it or not. Eric Roberts was less expensive, but only initially; by the time his various riders and so forth were added on to his contract, he ended up costing FOX more than Lloyd would have.

20. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just to go back on topic; I think the chances are pretty much zero.

Maybe next year.