Very Early Starship Enterprise Renderings by my Dad

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Admiral Archer, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

Today I found something rare in my dad's keepsakes: a 20 year-old computer rendering of the starship Enterprise he had done. Judging from the look of the nebula behind the ship, he must have took inspiration from the then newly released "Star Trek: First Contact". Notice how the ship appears transparent in some places: she must have a cloaking device! :p

Please keep in mind, this is not a piece I wish to have critiqued. Dad was obviously just doodling around when he made this, experimenting with the software capabilities of the day, and so the ship obviously is very primitive and dated compared to what we can do today. Think of this as a time capsule to an era when computers were just beginning to allow for computer generated imagery, a reminder of how far we've come in the last two decades.
    [​IMG]

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Two things.

1. The "state of the art" for what was available for a home computer user to do ship renderings and such in 1997 was more advanced than I think you believe. Photoshop had its first release in 1990. GIMP in 1996. And I was playing around with 3D design programs on my Packard Bell back in 1994. (Before I gave it up because I have little talent and no patience with it. ;) ) Remember that "Terminator 2" and the video for Michael Jackson's "Black or White" were both done in 1991 - and it didn't take long for software to move from "secret thing only the studios have" to "shared from a local BBS or off of a newsgroup or IRC", especially in the 90's. :D

2. I know you said you don't want this critiqued, but I'm just going to say that I think it's actually pretty good, especially for the time - odd transparency notwithstanding. Better than some things I've seen here, recently. :)

publiusr and Admiral Archer like this.
  3. Admiral Archer

My response to your two things:

1. I must apologize up front. I was VERY young in the 90's (I turned 10 in 1999, so that should give you an idea of how much time has passed since the days when this was made) so I have only vague memories of that decade. I shouldn't have tried to make a statement of fact based on such memories, and the fact that I had no real knowledge or experience with computers in those days. For that, I am sorry.

2. Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it, truly I do. My dad himself doesn't remember doing this (which should indicate that it must've been a brief experimentation with whatever program he was using) and barely recognized it when I showed it to him. There is a lot of work he's done other than on computers, such as illustrations and such. I'll have to ask him, but I would like very much to share his deviantart page on here to show you what he is capable of. He has done some other Star Trek related stuff in the past, in addition to what I just posted. :)

Sibyl and USS Triumphant like this.
  4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I had actually already grokked your approximate age. My response was not intended to be a correction, it was meant to be a light education. :) No need for an apology, and I'm sorry if my tone did not come through properly.

Sibyl likes this.
  5. Admiral Archer

People always tell me I apologize too much, LOL. And don't worry, I understood what you were saying. :)

Sibyl likes this.
  6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I loved the Bryce showcase that was a "documentary" called PLANETARY TRAVELER

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/planetary_traveler/

USS Triumphant likes this.
  7. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

It's pretty cool! I like the chunkiness of the saucer section, looks very tough. A lot better than anything I've ever attempted!

8. Admiral Archer

9. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I love your father's work! His rendering of the Enterprise is fantastic, I love it! It's evocative and atmospheric without being slavish to the original. It's something I love in that it shows the imagination that Star Trek fires in us here!

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

After a cousin broke my AMT, my Dad carved a wooden Enterprise. The saucer looked more like something from Sternbach's Mann class (that probably didn't even exist yet--since this wood model was circa early-to-mid 70's)

For the bridge and lower saucer dome, parts of a broken yo-yo.

I wish I still had that.

You are lucky that you still have something from your father

Admiral Archer likes this.