Verizon (Fios TV) wants to change TV fee rules based on audience size

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by jefferiestubes8, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Verizon who owns FiOS TV is
    Verizon Seeks to Shake Up Fees for TV Channels
    FiOS Operator Presses Smaller Media Firms for Deals Based on Audience Size

via
    Going away from the Nielsen model will take time. Years.
    Advertisers already pay for C3 (Live+3 days) of DVR time-shifting viewings.

source
    sourceJust going to C7 will take time. Small media companies will be doing that and we'll see what happens when their new contracts run out with Verizon. You can bet these new small media company contracts will include VOD.

While this is mainly a cable provide fee thread it is not quite related older thread that is an overall long term plan:
    a la carte programming - TV

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Verizon (Fios TV) wants to change TV fee rules based on audience s

There are still 71% of viewers watching a show live? Who are these people?? I don't think I know anyone who doesn't DVR shows and watch them later to avoid commercials.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the point of broadcast TV is to show ads, that 71% is the whole audience to broadcast (minus anyone outside the 18-49 age group of course).

Whoever they are, they're not the same people as those who are likely to hang around TrekBBS. Broadcast TV is being made for Not Us. Which I guess explains why I've given up on it entirely.

Anyway, Verizon isn't going to pass the savings on to their customers, they're in it for themselves. Anyone who wants to reduce their bill via a la carte pricing already has the Netflix option. Works great (assuming your country has Netflix by now.)

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

More proof that all your friends are a better class of people, which means by association, that you are a better class of people too.

Even if your post 20th century errant eccentricities are contributing the to ruin of the financial mechanisms that support the classic American Industrial Military Supercomplex.

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I'm around, I watch a show live, if I miss it, I don't. I don't find commercials a big deal, I use them to multitask.

But I'd much rather watch a show as it airs, otherwise it seems like it takes me forever to catch up the busier I get. The whole "I have it recorded, I can just watch it later" mentality that keeps pushing things away.

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Weekdays I work a schedule where I don't get out of work until 8-9 (eastern) and by the time I get home it is 8:45-9:45. Recording shows to watch later is really my only option. But I'm also not a Nielsen family member. So my single white makle between the ages of 18 and 39 opinion doesn't count.

M'rk - I agree. That is a problem for me, too ("I'll watch it later", but sometimes I don't have the time to do so).

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

DVR is one of my favorite modern inventions. It's really quite liberating to be able to watch a show when I want and not have to worry about missing episodes (due to other priorities, tv schedule changes, hiatuses, etc.). I just set a show as a priority and let the DVR due the work.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hands up if you didn't know how to set your vcr timer in the 80s?

BY the 90s I had two vcrs simultaneously programmed and recording with 6 hour video tapes each while I was at work or at university or some woman was making my life difficult by forcing me to enjoy myself by "doing things" or "going places".