Spoilers V'Draysh, Funny Face, and the future of the Federation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by urbandk, Apr 19, 2019.

1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I've brought this up briefly elsewhere, but I have several questions that I'm hoping some on the board might have a working theory or speculation to help me resolve.

• Since we know "V'Draysh" is a "syncope" ($10 word right there) of "Federation" and that Craft's escape pod contains Earth relics/has controls in English, it stands to reason that the V'Draysh is some iteration of the Federation, perhaps a version akin to that which was proposed for the aborted animated Star Trek: Final Frontier, i.e. a fractured, dysfunctional alliance that has abandoned many of its core values. This would also be in sync with themes explored in Roddenberry's Andromeda.
    1. Is "Calypso" actually set in the 33rd century, contemporaneous with the time of the Discovery's arrival in the future? If so, we can likely assume that the Discovery's interaction with this future Federation will comprise much of the plot/drama for the third season.
    2. Or is "Calypso" set in the 43rd century, a thousand years after the Discovery's arrival?
    3. If it's set in the 33rd century, we have to assume that at some point Discovery returned to the past. Who took it back? If I had to speculate, I'd imagine it was Georgiou returning to take the helm of S31, clandestinely returning after seeing what happens in the far future. In this case, I imagine the Discovery crew remains in the future, without their ship.
    4. What about the Class C shuttle? Per "Calypso," this shuttle had been just delivered to Discovery a week before it was abandoned. By all appearances it is a standard 23rd century shuttle. Either this means (1) Discovery is abandoned right away in the 33rd century or (2) Discovery returns to the past and gets a shuttle before being promptly abandoned. Option (2) doesn't make much sense at all, but option (1) raises some issues too. Option (1) means that "Calypso" is definitely set in the 43rd century or thereabout.
    I don't know if I've thought of everything here, but I'd love to hear some speculation about how this all comes together. There's always the possibility that "Calypso" exists in some kind of pocket universe/alternate timeline, but to their credit, the writers and showrunners appear to have eschewed that temptation and try to make everything fit together.

2. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore