VAN: What Judgments Come by Ward & Dilmore Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Sep 22, 2011.

?

Rate What Judgments Come

1. Outstanding

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Above Average

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Average

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's apparently out in bookstores, so here's the official thread with the poll.

Being honest: I'm saving this one for a re-read of the whole series culminating in Storming Heaven next year. But I'm excited to see what everyone thinks :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  2. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Vanguard: What Judgments Come review thread

Yes it is thrawn. In fact i just picked it up tonight. I think you started this thread virtually the same time i started mine. I'll be re-reading the entire series.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will pop down to Galaxy Books this evening to see if it is out (fingers crossed)

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm terribly far behind on my Star Trek: Vanguard reading -- I started Open Secrets two years ago and never finished it, even though I've kept up my purchases since and bought Precipice and Declassified. Saw What Judgments Come in the store today and nabbed it, even though I'm very far behind on my reading list and on Vanguard.

Looking forward to it! Might not get to it for months on end, but looking forward to it!

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've ordered mine and it should arrive in a few days. :)

6. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

I read it and was very impressed. I can't wait for the next book, however:
    after I had finished reading this, I wondered if the next novel would be the first Vanguard novel without Diego Reyes, but this morning I realized that Diego, if it remains a retelling by Tim, would still be in the novel, just not part of the [main?] story.

7. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The last Vanguard novel i read was Reap the Whirlwind. I've loved all 3 books. But I've decided to wait until the last book comes out in march next year. Then i'm gonna read the whole series in one shot.

8. Psi'a Meese

Psi'a Meese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't think this was set for release until the 27th? Which (for me) was today. I will try and pick up a copy over the weekend. Though I may decide to reread Precipice first.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Vanguard: What Judgments Come review thread (SPOILERS)

Really enjoyed it. Was sad to the end of the Lovell, but with SCE gone and Vanguard ending, I can see why Dayton and Kevin would want to wrap a bow around that ship and crew and call it a day.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm about halfway though and I have to say that I love the set up for The Tholian Web episode of TOS. It's extremely well done.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm surprised there's so little activity in this thread. I would have expected everyone to devour the book the moment it came out. I definitely would have if I wasn't so far behind in my Trek reading.

12. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My review:
    Calm Before the Storm

This was definitely a “wrapping it up” story filled with the end of some characters with the endgame of others decidedly marked.

For the most part, the book lacked major epic events with the action sequences on the Omari-Ekron and Lovell the only parts that REALLY got my blood going. Though this wasn’t the typical Vanguard thrill ride, What Judgments Come was still filled with excellent story and character interactions that managed to stir my emotions. I’ve enjoyed how every Vanguard novel raises the bar for the next with an astounding cliffhanger. Though WJC didn’t end with one of these jaw-dropping cliffhangers it did thoroughly whet my appetite for the coming series finale.

This book did a great job doing what the episode’s leading up to DS9’s finale did- giving the series a much needed calm before the storm providing fans valuable insights into key characters and leaving them feeling fulfilled for the time they spent in the series.

Top notch story telling. The Vanguard guys have truly made a trek treasure in this series with Ward and Dilmore contributing a shining jewel with What Judgments Come.

13. MatthiasRussell

Some other random thoughts of mine:

Ganz seemed very different than he did in earlier books. He lacked his typical “in control” and survivable nature, but then he wasn’t in as good of a situation by this time in the series. I didn’t expect his story to unfold as it did after we last saw him in Precipice and wish the writers would have taken him a different route.

I loved how Reyes' story unfolded. I just hope we hear more about Desai. Reyes’ moments with Fisher were probably the most touching of the book.

Enjoyed the background given to the Tkon, Defiant and Nimbus III. That said, the Nimbus III scenes didn’t interest me much (though I love STV TFF) and I feel Jetanien’s role has extremely weakened since the series began with his story seeming to have parted ways from the main Vanguard plot.

Amazingly, Pennington and Quinn continue to be the strongest and best developed characters. I say amazing since who would have expected the bar fly and reporter to become so interesting? Far more interesting than Morn and Jake Sisko. I hope Quinn gets a happy ending but I don’t expect it.

We’ve seen Nogura as a strong and decisive leader. Now we see him as a caring leader. Good job helping me to like and respect the character.

Interesting how little the first officer of Vanguard has been developed since this is usually a principle role. I think he was mentioned once in WJC. There are many great characters to this series but I find it striking how forgettable and neglected this character is compared to other trek series.

I continue to dislike the amount of filler betweens lines of dialogue during conversations in Ward’s books. Though there is a lot of insight and thoughts in these paragraphs, I often find myself skipping through this material in an effort to hold a mental picture of the scene in my mind. Though I say this, I still have thoroughly enjoyed everything Ward has written, including his contribution to the NF anthology which I am reading now.

14. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

You're not the only one way behind, JD... And I'm reading more than just Star Trek. I just got A Choice of Catastrophes last night and haven't decided when I'm getting this one.

15. MatthiasRussell

I was really looking forward to discussing this one with people. Does Vanguard lack patrons?

16. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I adore Vanguard, but like I said, I'm waiting for Mack to bring it home before I finish off the series.

17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Mhmmm.... "Average"

The writing, characterization is very good, but I think there were a few too many story-threads in this book.
    I hope this was just the calm before the storm that should be this series' finale.

18. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it quite a bit.

One problem though is how Starfleet is violating the Orion ship. This is soverign territory and by sending people on board to kidnap Reyes and to access the navigation logs they are commiting piracy against Ganz. He was perfectly within his rights to have killed the two security officers IMO. (Can't recall their names at the moment and the book isn't handy.)

If Ganz had commited a crime against the Federation then at least Starfleet would have a reason to board the Omari-Ekron but as it is it looks like Starfleet is the bad guys in this one. Nogura may have been out of the loop the first time but he jumped in with both feet on the second.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's one of the whole plot points in Vanguard really, isn't it? That there is a side to Starfleet that's doing things that aren't quite right, so to say.

20. DrBashir

DrBashir Commander

That's true but in this one everyone seems to be in on it. Zeke Fischer, who I can see doing something sneaky & underhanded to get Diego off the ship, furthers the espionage by passing along some tech that not only will require Reyes to stay on the ship longer but will put him in even more danger than he's already in. It struck me as out of character.

Now, T'Prynn I can see having no problems with something like this at all. She's not exactly the poster child for ethical behavior. And Nogura, after being shocked! Shocked I say! by the initial attempt just slides right into phase two. Rather than being outraged about an operation that led to the deaths of two of his crew I got the feeling that he felt cheated that he didn't get to be the one that sent them to be killed.

It's a minor part of the story but it just seems like some people are acting out of character just to service the plot, Fischer in particular.

There are elements of Starfleet that do things that just aren't right but there should also be consequences. We know, thanks to TMP, that Nogura just keeps climbing the ladder. Of course, with the well known writer of the last book, he may be the only one to make it our alive...