USS Retro

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DiSiLLUSiON, Jun 21, 2009.

1. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Well, it isn't actually going to be called that.

However, I was looking at some old pictures the other day. Some especially got my attention; like the Blackbird plane and a few very old Sci-Fi illustrations.

Now what if, in the future, there's a design throwback to these shapes and lines? These things always go in cycles, so it isn't much of a stretch, I'd think.

So, essentially, it's supposed to look sort of the classic futuristic look, without becoming cheesy (no rockets ;)). What do you think, does it work? I'd very much welcome feedback.

I've nearly finished the nacelle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

As far as it being neat to look at, it's fine. It's certainly new Trek inspired. Though it has nice clean lines to it.

But are you going for function too? I'm just wondering why they're so tapered. It seems you limit space for your warp coils.

I like the clean flowing lines, though find the tapered affect perhaps a little too pronounced. I'm sure I dig the needle at the end...

I'm eagre to see where you go with this!

3. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I like it. :)

Is the rest of the ship going to be laid out like a normal federation ship, or something different? I could see this as being something non-military, like on a yacht or something.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm very eager to see the rest. :)

5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I have an idea: make the rest of the ship even more curvaceous and artistic as the nacelle. Distort the design so that it is fresh and new. Maybe the ship could derive part of its look from the Mann-class in Goldstein & Goldstein's 1980 "Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology", or maybe something else entirely.

Another idea might be to make the outer rim of the saucer thicker, then taper an inner ring, and then the core could be sphere.

And maybe the airplane theme could be extended to the secondary hull, replacing the tubular-hull-and-pylons design with a flying delta wing.

6. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, that retro 50's charm.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really dig it. It's an awesome start and has a lot of retro-ness.

Couple of ideas:

-Look to early jet fighters for inspiration on the engineering hull.
    -Streamline and "aircraft-isize" some of the parts
    -Little bit of hot-rod red?