Upcoming SF TV Show: "Extinct"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Argus Skyhawk, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

2. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting idea, but whenever Card puts out new work I always end up wondering (worrying?) how much of his politics will end up in it. And since I became aware of his worldview I stopped reading his stuff, so...

Hugo - currently on a pass

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Nerys Myk likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you lost me at Orson Scott Card. Has BYU TV ever done a scripted series before?

4. Argus Skyhawk

I believe this is their second scripted series. I liked their first one. It was a cool mystery series called Granite Flats. It even had Christopher Lloyd in the second and third seasons.

Yeah, I don't blame anyone for being turned off by Orson Scott Card's views during the last decade or two. My used-to-be favorite author has tarnished himself a bit.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I think I'll keep an open mind for now. I don't agree with OSC's politics, but that doesn't mean this show won't be enjoyable. I mean, Hitler was obviously one of the greatest monsters in human history, but his paintings are beautiful.

6. Argus Skyhawk

7. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't remember the name of the book, but I read one years ago based on the same premise. It was hundreds of thousands of years in the future and the Earth was uninhabitable. Venus was terraformed (a project apparently started by us before we went extinct, since the Earth was dying) and capable of supporting life. Humans were frozen embryos on a moon base that some feline aliens had taken over, and they were debating whether or not to revive our species. As I recall it was a decent book. I want to say the author was Alan Dean Foster but I might be totally out to lunch on that.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It does look an interesting premise. It also reminds me somewhat of Riverworld by Philip José Farmer, where aliens resurrect long dead humans to fulfil a mysterious alien agenda. As long as the series doesn't push Card's agenda, I'd give it a watch.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite OSC's involvement I decided to check out the trailer and article posted up thread and this does seem interesting, but another part of the source of this has me semi concerned. Does the fact that this is coming from B(ringham)Y(oung)U(niversity)TV, and LDS member Orson Scott Card mean that this whole thing is just going to be pro-Mormon propaganda? I don't really have a problem with the Mormons in general, but I don't know if I'd really be interested in a show that's just about how great their beliefs are.

10. Kai "the spy"

Wasn't BSG pretty much "pro-Mormon propaganda"?! And kinda fascist at times.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Interesting premise but it looks a bit cheesy, young adult-like in the trailer. I didn't even know BYU had its own television channel.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it? Would be because of the whole journey to Earth (the promised land) aspect, or is there something else?

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Glen Larson was a Mormon and used LDS concepts when creating the show.

14. Kai "the spy"

Yeah, like the twelve tribes, the lost thirteen tribe, etc.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I've visited the Mormon temple in Salt Lake City. While it kind of felt like a Kitsch Jesus-themed Disneyland, I didn't get any pressure to convert. I expect this series will be wholesome and full of homespun wisdom.

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm ... are those Jaffa staff weapons?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mind if they use some of their ideas and stuff, I just don't want it to just be nothing but talking about how great they are or how they're the only thing that can save us or how humanity died because there were too many people who didn't follow them.

18. Argus Skyhawk

The link to the trailer above has added a start date. It's coming October 1st.

19. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure that no one turned Mormon after viewing BSG.

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator