Upcoming novel "Unworthy"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by belle paris, Jun 13, 2009.

1. belle paris

belle paris Lieutenant Red Shirt

Any rumours? Any? The book "Full Circle" has start a whole new plot line in the DQ and I'm so curious! So tell me anything you got or hope for!

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Unworthy

Keep in mind the info from the annual Fall catalogue is aimed at wholesalers, so cover art is often temporary and the early blurb an estimation of potential content, not final.

3. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a bit confused, I didn't really clue in to 7 of 9 being stuck in some human/borg limbo (well, she'd have to be less than she was before, I guess) from the end of Destiny. Did everyone else? Maybe it comes up somehow in the book, just from the blurb in that link, it seems really odd. It seemed at the end of the book, 7 lost her implants and id'd herself as human.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They never really established 7's situation at all in Destiny, it pretty much just showed her implants disappearing. It is a big part of FC though.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From a recent Interview I had with Kirsten Beyer for Unreality SF:

6. belle paris

Hmm, I wonder which DQ characters are going to make an appearance? It'd be interesting to see what happened to the Vidiians especially Doc's old flame.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if Seven (supposing she and Chakotay get to the Delta Quadrant) is going to check up on Rebi, Azan and Mezoti. Are they suffering like she is, or are they Caeliar now?

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping we get to see Neelix and his colony of Talaxians at some point :). Exploring the space formerly occupied by the Borg :borg:would be pretty cool as well. IIRC, it was like a 10,000-15,000 light year swath at least, that they controlled. That's a huge power vacuum...and we know how nature abhores a vacuum. I wonder what new races will pop up from that mess or if there will be any at all? Will it be like the races that hide from the Wraith in Stargate: Atlantis? Were they hiding their technological know-how for the last few hundred years to avoid assimilation? Unworthy can't get here fast enough...:drool::drool:

9. Paris

Don't you think the Vidiians have been played out by this point? I think of them like the Kazon or the Ocampa. Not that much intertesting about them. As far as I remember, didn't the Vidiians end up curing the Phage? If they did, then the only thing that was interesting about them is now a non-factor. Although I will second the call to see Doc's old flame, Denara Pel, again. It always seemed like TPTB on Voyager wanted to do more with her, but then forgot about her after Resolutions.

Personally, I think i'd like to see more with the Hirogen. I know we saw them in the tv show a decent amount, but with their recent appearence in the Destiny books, and the fact that as a race, they have no central place and are scattered throughout the quadrant, I think it would be cool to explore them some more. I wonder if they were originally displaced by the Borg?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

(Responding to post #8: ) Well, one mustn't treat the Borg as a political power. They didn't just "control" that territory, they assimilated or exterminated every other species that occupied that territory. It's not like the formerly oppressed peoples of the region are going to be jockeying for control of its population and resources, because it has no population and resources, and it had no oppressed peoples, just Borg drones and dead planets. Former Borg territory is now pretty much just a vast wasteland. There's nothing in it that anyone would want.

The only places where species formerly in conflict with the Borg are now free to apply their power otherwise are on the borders of Borg territory, the regions that hadn't been fully assimilated yet. But I suspect the species that had been battling the Borg are mostly reduced to refugee status and wouldn't be strong enough to engage in any sort of conquest. There might be battered, devastated populations squabbling over the few habitable worlds and resources that remain, but no massive empire rising to take the place of the Borg Empire. Because the Borg weren't an empire, they were a plague. Instead of looking to historical analogies based on the fall of empires, maybe the aftermath of the Black Death would be a better analogy. Thousands of DQ civilizations will have been reduced to a fraction of their former selves, living at a subsistence level, making do with what remnants of technology they can find, living as refugees or nomads.

(Responding to post #9: ) The Vidiians didn't cure the Phage, but they had it cured for them by the Think Tank.

11. Paris

Ah..yes..the Think Tank. I can totally picture the scene where the creepy post-Seinfeld Jason Alexander mentions this :techman:.

I totally agree with the point about the Borg being a plague. I assumed that some races may have been able to hide their presence on a planet from the Borg, much in the way that the Genii hid from the Wraith in SGA. I never took into account that the Borg would literally strip a planets every last resource, which of course they do. Where else would they get the materials for their massive ships? If guess if someone was hiding, they would not be able to do so for very long ;). I guess if a ship was passing through Borg space after the Caeliar got done with the Borg, it would be pretty quiet. Possibilities....

12. Christopher

Well, that shouldn't really be a factor, since the amount of raw material available in any given star system's uninhabited planets, asteroids, and comets is thousands of times greater than the amount available on a single planet's surface. But we know that the Borg assimilate everything they can use, and that they strip inhabited planets of their cities and population by methods that would surely devastate their ecosystems. And we've seen (in "Scorpion" and First Contact that Borg-occupied planets apparently have surfaces entirely covered in Borg technology and drones. So it's not a question of need for resources, simply a question of the Borg's mindless impulse to expand and assimilate everything in their paths.

13. Paris

Hmmm. Good point about the ample raw materials in a star system. Query: Since their mindless impulse to expand dominates their "culture", then why would they ever stay behind on a planet like we saw in Scorpion and First Contact? They would need a reason to stay stationary on a planet, and if they've already assimilated all the population and technology, and they don't need to strip mine the planet for materials, then why stay at all?

To have a homebase in a given area of space? - They usually stay in space in those unimatrixes (sp?) as evidenced by Endgame.

What do you think?

P.S. - Sorry if we are getting slightly off topic...

14. belle paris

Hey, any rumours/guesses/ideas are welcome. Obviously, they (TPTB) are going to have to deal with the loss of the Borg eventually. I'm guessing there would be a lot of 'dead' Borg technology floating around. I imagine the Vaadwaur and others would be interested in acquiring it.

15. Paris

Is this the case:vulcan:? I thought that the Borg tech had all disappeared when the Caeliar brought them into the Geshtalt. I could be wrong, but I think it's all gone. I think that confirming that this is the case, is one of the objectives of the Project: Full Circle fleet being led by Voyager to the DQ.

16. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Full Circle mentioned borg tech turned to "dust" when it was turned on.

17. Christopher

Well, if their goal was to convert everyone into drones, why not just leave them where they were? Surely that's more efficient than uprooting billions of people and building artificial worlds for all of them. The Borg use whatever they can use. A planet can be useful as a place to keep your stuff (as the Tick would put it), as a source of geothermal energy and raw materials, as a naturally occurring gravity well, or what-have-you. I'm not saying the Borg don't mine planets for resources, just that planets aren't the only places to get them.

18. Paris

I guess if that is their stated goal, then leaving them on the planet would make sense. But is that their goal? To just assimilate everyone? I thought it was more about gaining knowledge than just increasing numbers (although obviously, numbers do mean something when you're dealing with a hive mind). And uprooting everyone on a given planet would be kind of hard. Finding space to transport billions of people at a time would be kind of a bitch. I guess my idea of a assimilated world (like Earth in First Contact) being used for its natural resources may not have been that far off.

19. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

It was A Singular Destiny which noted this...

20. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So she's flat-chested now? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!